• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Dead Air Primal Opinions?

AHart76

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Haubstadt, Indiana
So with form 4 wait times being “down” (I know that’s hit or miss, not the point of this discussion) I was thinking about picking up a Dead Air Primal as a can that will somewhat “future proof” me with possibilities of what could happen in the future with the wrong administration.

I can’t find much info on them online though. I understand it won’t be be the best can on anything. But at least I would be able to put something on just about anything I could foresee myself owning?

I stumbled across it while trying to find a can for my FNX 45 Tactical. So that’s the main thing I’m thinking about using it on. It would just be nice to also be able to slap it on an AR if wanted(I already have other AR suppressors, but still), or a PCC if wanted.

Just curious if anyone has any info or thoughts they could share?

That’s a lot of can to be hanging off of a pistol. And, a “do it all” anything does everything pretty “mid.”

The weight is pretty heavy for anything other than a big bore rifle can, and so is the length. There are much better purpose driven options for 5.56, 30 cal, 9mm, etc. It would probably be at home on a 45/70, 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, or the like.

I think EVERYONE comes to silencers saying “I’ll buy one can that covers all of my needs and I’ll be golden. Fuckin’ genius. I can’t believe no one ever thought of this before.” Then they get their do-it-all can and realize that it is (maybe) “good” at one thing, but really “meh” at everything else. Then they get another can. They put that can in their safe with the first can and those two have a baby. Then, the bring in some new genetics (different manufacturer with diff tech) and there is a silencer population explosion in their gun cabinet.

I say this as an owner of 2 dead air cans that I really like- so I’m not part of the newly minted DA haters.

The “one can to rule them all” is a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Like was said, that's not going to work well on the end of a pistol... That's a heavy rifle can...

If you're trying to save money, get your bases covered, but you're going to have to buy 4-5 cans. Here's my suggestions...

ThunderBeast (TBAC) 22 TakeDown for your rimfires and .22LR's. They're OOS right now, but add your email to the notification, as the pop in and out of stock very regularly. It's a very popular item. I have 2 of them myself, and a Dead Air Mask HD. Both are good cans.

Rugged Obsidian 45 or TBAC Fly 45 to cover all your handgun and .35 caliber big bore (16"+) rifles...

For your rifles, you will want a hunting can that can also be used as a precision rifle can... I suggest the TBAC Magnus-S HUB or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S...

And I highly recommend getting a dedicated 5.56 suppressor for your AR's... My recommendation is the Otter Creek Polonium 556.

Definitely some good info. I did not take into consideration the size of the can for a pistol.

Also, I am well aware a do it all can will be perfect at nothing. I have 2 cans already, a 3rd I will be doing the form 4 on as soon as it gets into my dealers hands, and was just looking at this a potential quick and easy, cover a lot of other bases can.

I have a TBAC Ultra 7 for my precision guns, and TBAC 22 Takedown for my rimfire stuff. I got those as soon as I turned 21.

I recently bought an LMT MARS-H, and ordered an LMT Ion 30 can to go on that.

Since I have all those bases covered, sounds like I might be best served by just getting a dedicated pistol can, instead of the Primal, since that’s really what I want it for. Was just an option I was wanting to explore.

Reactions: FuhQ
Definitely some good info. I did not take into consideration the size of the can for a pistol.

Also, I am well aware a do it all can will be perfect at nothing. I have 2 cans already, a 3rd I will be doing the form 4 on as soon as it gets into my dealers hands, and was just looking at this a potential quick and easy, cover a lot of other bases can.

I have a TBAC Ultra 7 for my precision guns, and TBAC 22 Takedown for my rimfire stuff. I got those as soon as I turned 21.

I recently bought an LMT MARS-H, and ordered an LMT Ion 30 can to go on that.

Since I have all those bases covered, sounds like I might be best served by just getting a dedicated pistol can, instead of the Primal, since that’s really what I want it for. Was just an option I was wanting to explore.
In that case, yes. The Rugged Obsidian 45 and TBAC Fly 45 are the best options out there for a “Do-All” pistol can. 👍🏼 I don’t shoot pistols much, so I haven’t ordered a Fly45 yet, but I have had an Obsidian 45 for about 4.5 years now, and it’s a great can. Currently it’s living on my H&K MP5 with a Rugged 9mm Tri-Lug adapter. Very nice combo! 👌🏼

If you need to order a TBAC can from their website, and have it shipped to your dealer, message @Zak Smith and he can get you in contact with Blake over at TBAC who will get you squared away. 👍🏼