• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dead on at 25 yards but windage off at 50 yards

Casey Lee

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2024
Arizona
I just put a used scope on my Remington nylon 66 and starting at 25 yards had nice groups on the bull. Moved out to 40-45 yards and the groups moved out about 3” right of the bull. Put my groups back on the bull at 40 and then at 25 it’s about 1” left of the bull. What can cause this?

Scope broken perhaps. Wind on the range your not accounting for perhaps.

Your zeroing at 25yds which easily can hide errors. Lots of guns shoot little bug hole groups at 25yds.

1 MOA at 25yds is .26"......and your scope adjusts in fractions of that. So your ragged one hole groups can be off a click or two off....and you might not see it.

Add a smidge of wind....and your flawed zero is off more. Move further out....the wind changes direction or let's off. Now it's showing the combination of errors at 50yds.

I prefer to zero at 50yds. If you want.....try sighting in at 50yds. Then just dial the vertical offset to get it back down to 25yds. Reset your scales for 25yds. Maybe you will then better remove the windage error out because it's easier to see and dial out at 50yds.

First, remove yourself then your optic as potential culprits. Remove yourself because it takes no extra work. Then if the issue still exists.... swap out optics. Like mentioned above maybe you have some barrel contact issues. Maybe your ammo is inconsistent some way.

Often it can be combination of multiple issues or errors....not one simple thing not to do or item to replace.

Post a Pic of your rig. Maybe something will stand out.

Reactions: woogie_man