Votes: 13 61.9%
  • 408 mercenary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

traz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2020
Before i just pick one out of a hat i figured id see what you all would go with.

I narrowed my choice down to 3 wild cats, each one is fully capable of what im looking for. Im tempted to go with the 408 mercenary if it comes out by the time im buying a barrel, otherwise im leaning toward the 375 mercenary. The 338 snipetac was my original plan before i started considering/looking at the bigger bullets. Right now im back and forth between the 375 and 408 for the most part. The 338 is still an option that wouldnt dissapoint me but i feel like the 375 or 408 is were ill end up.

What im looking for is a bullet to carry me out to 2000yds and eventualy beyond, with ease of spotting misses being a huge plus but not 100% a deciding factor. Price isnt a huge concern as all 3 guns will be relatively close in price, and lets face it building a good elr isnt cheap so price is just a nessecary evil.

The 408 tempts me simply for its size, it would be easiest to spot misses and from what i gather would be less affected by a bad wind call.

The 375 is the 375, its loved and cherrished by all and is an obvious good choice. Theres nothing really to say about it aside from its proven to be a great bullet for elr.

The 338 will carry me out to were i want im just worried about not being able to see misses as good and im guessing it would be less forgiving with a bad windcall.

Reloading wise i feel like the 338 is the top choice followed close by the 375 and then the 408 pretty far back. Im not basing this off cost too much, more so off bullet choices for each caliber.

Anyways thats my novel, id love to hear others opinions and choices.

You seem to be leaning to the 375. I say go with that. It is in between the 338 and 408 and will be a great choice. Besides.....you then have an excuse for the others!

I went with a 375 BAS by Robert Vestal. I figured this was a really good performer that won't eat a barrel to quick. When I do rebarrel I can do the same again or anything else with that bolt face. ELR is advancing and who knows what's going to be out there in a few years.

Reactions: traz
The 408 bullets need to be optimized like what we seen with the 375 bullets. I’m not saying there isn’t 408 bullets. What I’m saying is the push for badass 408 bullets has yet to happen like it happened with the 375 bullets. Get the speed and heavy bullet and I think it would be a winner for people like me who can’t afford to shoot a 416B.

You seem to be leaning to the 375. I say go with that. It is in between the 338 and 408 and will be a great choice. Besides.....you then have an excuse for the others!
I am definetly leaning toward the 375, the 408 just keeps butting its way into my head. With more development the 408 can be even better, but right now i know the 375 is ahead which keeps me leaning toward it.

The 408 bullets need to be optimized like what we seen with the 375 bullets. I’m not saying there isn’t 408 bullets. What I’m saying is the push for badass 408 bullets has yet to happen like it happened with the 375 bullets. Get the speed and heavy bullet and I think it would be a winner for people like me who can’t afford to shoot a 416B.

I agree, if the 408 had more bullet development like the 375 has had it would easily compete with a 416B. I still think the 408 is a great round, and im positive it would not dissapoint.

Reactions: Lesch and JB.IC
I wanted to do a 375 Mercenary, but the cost in the initial set up was just to much. The brass is from RCC, which is all CNC turned brass, and the custom dies from Warner were close to 1K$ all said and done. I went with a straight 375CT. I'm more than happy with it. Will I end up doing a 375 Mercenary after this barrel goes south? Probably Not, but it's a cool round. RCC and Warner make some quality stuff don't get me wrong, but you'll pay to play.

Xdeano

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C.
Dies are something a lot of people overlook. Cheytac dies can be found in stock a lot of times. There is actually a set for sale in the Px right now. That being said. I have a 375 snipetac right now and I have reamers for a 338 snipetac ready to go for my next barrel

I wanted to do a 375 Mercenary, but the cost in the initial set up was just to much. The brass is from RCC, which is all CNC turned brass, and the custom dies from Warner were close to 1K$ all said and done. I went with a straight 375CT. I'm more than happy with it. Will I end up doing a 375 Mercenary after this barrel goes south? Probably Not, but it's a cool round. RCC and Warner make some quality stuff don't get me wrong, but you'll pay to play.

Xdeano

I had not quoted out the dies yet as i wasnt sure 100% what way i was going, but based off the price of the rcc brass for the 375 mercenary i figured the dies wouldnt be cheap. So i was kind of expecting around that price anyways. Like you said you gotta pay to play, and either i play with a big rifle or play with my car, and i think the rifle would last longer and be more fun.

Dies are something a lot of people overlook. Cheytac dies can be found in stock a lot of times. There is actually a set for sale in the Px right now. That being said. I have a 375 snipetac right now and I have reamers for a 338 snipetac ready to go for my next barrel

Any particular reason your switching to the 338 over the 375? Or just looking for something to cleanse you pallet for a while.

I don’t think he’s switching, the plan is to have both. Either a switch barrel rifle or one of each. The 375 Snipetac is a excellent round and a bunch in the area shoot very well, the 338 Snipetac has its own purpose and project as well.

Geno can correct me if I am wrong

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Yeah, I’m not switching. The 375 snipetac works. The 338 will be for fun and to kind of rub some noses in some stupid rules. I’ll be within the letter of the rules just not the spirit ?

Yeah, I’m not switching. The 375 snipetac works. The 338 will be for fun and to kind of rub some noses in some stupid rules. I’ll be within the letter of the rules just not the spirit ?

Ahhhhh okay i see now, i just saw "for my next barrel" and immediatly thought you were switching. Bent rules arent broken rules haha.

I went 375 CT as I have no interest in fire forming brass. We shoot out 3000 plus yards in out local match without issue. Looked at the other cal's but 375ct works. The other option is 375xc also works well passed 3000 yards.

I went 375 CT as I have no interest in fire forming brass. We shoot out 3000 plus yards in out local match without issue. Looked at the other cal's but 375ct works. The other option is 375xc also works well passed 3000 yards.

I was under the assumption that rcc brass was preformed for the 375 mercenary. Are they just blank brass casings that need to be fire formed....if so that might change my mind as i to have no interest in fire forming.

From what i understand RRC brass is machined brass. My only downside is the upfront cost of about $ 10 each so if you are like me I have between 100 to 150 pieces in the rotation when I am shooting. So your looking at an up front cost of $1000 to $1500. having said that if you get at minimum 10 firings then its worth it just hard to dump that amount when Peterson 375ct is $2.60 each.

Reactions: camotoe
From what i understand RRC brass is machined brass. My only downside is the upfront cost of about $ 10 each so if you are like me I have between 100 to 150 pieces in the rotation when I am shooting. So your looking at an up front cost of $1000 to $1500. having said that if you get at minimum 10 firings then its worth it just hard to dump that amount when Peterson 375ct is $2.60 each.

Yeah, sorry i know its machined brass my post was a little off now that i read it again. I meant i assumed rcc brass was already formed for the customer but i emailed them and it is infact just blank cnc turned brass that either the customer can fire form or you can send them a chamber casting and they will fire form for you. Not sure how much extra that is, but the $9.##/pc was already on the edge of "being worth it" for me. So seems im back to square one, ill probly end up like everyone else and just build a CT (the sensible route) hahaha.

Taz thanks for the update I didn't know you still had to fire form or send the a drawing. That is good to know as I am sure the cost per round would then up.
As for the 375ct many options you can go. I have the Cadex Shadow with 32in 1-7 and am going to have Vestal rebarrel it in the very near term. Lots of chassis like XLR, Cadex, McMillan and Mcree just to mention a few then there are the actions.
Part of the fun is putting the whole package together.

Taz thanks for the update I didn't know you still had to fire form or send the a drawing. That is good to know as I am sure the cost per round would then up.
As for the 375ct many options you can go. I have the Cadex Shadow with 32in 1-7 and am going to have Vestal rebarrel it in the very near term. Lots of chassis like XLR, Cadex, McMillan and Mcree just to mention a few then there are the actions.
Part of the fun is putting the whole package together.

I asked them if there was any additional cost and they emailed me just before and said for now there is no additional cost to have the brass fire formed by them but that might change in the future. They also added that they can either send you a drawing to have you confirm the brass before they make it or you can send them your own fire formed case or chamber casting to match.

Ill be building with the stiller tac408 action, cadex dual strike chassis and a bartlein barrel. Im building a couple other guns before this one so i have some time to research and get a solid idea of what to buy.

Do you like to move a big rifle around or a small rifle? I really like my Armalite with a stack of barrels from 416 to 460 to 50. On the other hand I really like my trg42 with a 300norma improved, 338 lapua and 338rogue barrels... why have just one rifle to confuse yourself with? Lol

Like Geno said, think about dies while deciding on the reamer. Since I do my own work it’s easier for me to order a die reamer and make a die myself than wait around for someone else to make it and hope it’s correct. Die reamers aren’t that expensive and newlon makes die blanks for the small stuff. For the big stuff I have my barrel guy drill a hole in some barrel stock, having a pre drilled hole makes life real easy.

Attachments

• 563535CC-8EED-4E3C-AFFD-CE84AFC0B41C.jpeg
    563535CC-8EED-4E3C-AFFD-CE84AFC0B41C.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: camotoe and Geno C.