• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Defiance Deviant a worthy Surgeon 591 replacement?

camoscout2

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
Alabama, USA
I'm compiling parts for a .308/.260 switch barrel rig to build with Robert Gradous. As you know, the 591 actions are few and far between these days with demand far outstripping a dwindling (almost non-existent now with Surgeon absorbing the supply with their own rifle builds) supply. For the switch barrel, an integral lug is important so it's down to BAT or the Defiance Deviant. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience yet with the Deviant action either positive or negative.

I'm thinking the BAT really isn't a good option because I'm planning to use an XLR chassis. I need a chassis adjustable enough for my wrong handed (lefty) 5'1" S.O. (I'm correct handed and 5'11") to be able to comfortably shoot. Kyle doesn't have the BAT listed as an inlet for the Evolution chassis.

Thanks in advance!

I just got my deviant action two days ago. It is every bit as good if not better than surgeons. Incredible fit/finish. And got it in the promised time from the mfg. Great company to deal with. Highly recommended!

Glad to hear these responses. I will have one waiting at my FFL when I get home from the sandbox. Just in time to drop into a Terry Cross Sentinel stock. +1 on Defiance being a great company to deal with. Norm from Defiance helped me out a ton.

I have been shooting the deviant for a couple months now. Love this action, all the great features of all e great actions combined. Integral rail and lug, Cut for AW mags, one piece bolt, ......... Smooth and beautiful.

As they say imitation is the best form of flattery. There are some drawbacks to cutting Rem 700 style actions for AW mags. I will be interested to see if they have addressed the issues with this.

As they say imitation is the best form of flattery. There are some drawbacks to cutting Rem 700 style actions for AW mags. I will be interested to see if they have addressed the issues with this.

Well this isn't a Remington style action nor are their any problems with it. Defiance has been cutting custom actions for a long time now and the magazine cut has little to do with any malfunction you may or may not see.
The Deviant is just as smooth as the Templar V1 and I am personally very glad to see they have adopted this at GAP as an upgraded Templar action. They are very slick, machining is flawless and the look of it is unique.

Can you explain these "drawbacks" that you speak of on the Remington style actions?

I have seen the Deviant and own the new BAT and I can say the BAT is Flawless!! Smoother than all other tactical actions I've ran and did not get gummed up by all the rediculous amount of dirt it saw at the Bushnell Brawl.

Well this isn't a Remington style action nor are their any problems with it. Defiance has been cutting custom actions for a long time now and the magazine cut has little to do with any malfunction you may or may not see.
The Deviant is just as smooth as the Templar V1 and I am personally very glad to see they have adopted this at GAP as an upgraded Templar action. They are very slick, machining is flawless and the look of it is unique.

Can you explain these "drawbacks" that you speak of on the Remington style actions?

I have seen when actions have just been modified for AW mags that the bolt makes very little contact with the case when feeding. I am not saying that this is the case with this action, I am just curious how they went about avoiding this problem.

I have seen when actions have just been modified for AW mags that the bolt makes very little contact with the case when feeding. I am not saying that this is the case with this action, I am just curious how they went about avoiding this problem.

Well again, this is not your typical Remington 700 being opened up. This action was engineered to be ran a certain way and I am more then sure they had the magazine inlet figured out so that it would be a non issue. When you make something from a solid block of steel you can design whatever you want.
There are no problems with the magazine inlets on the Deviant (Templar V2) or any other Defiance made action. I can attest to that!