• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Desert Tactical Arms 338 Lapua 1200 yard shot.

joediesel81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
riverside,ca
www.youtube.com
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3IeF46Q5ju4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3IeF46Q5ju4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Desert Tactical Arms 338 Lapua 1200 yard shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3IeF46Q5ju4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3IeF46Q5ju4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Not really stretching the legs of the 338 in my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not really stretching the legs of the 338 in my opinion </div></div>
I wouldn't call that "opinion." I'd call that a blatant certainty, especially with all that restate to work with.
Skinney is doing that at 1150 with his .260 on a 12" plate, and if you look at the video, that's as far as the range would go.

Why all the hate? It's a good video and a fine shot, probably farther than 95% of the members here have ever done.

Some of the clearest video of a 1200 yard shot I've seen, the entire frame didn't turn to fuzz on super zoom and you could hear the impact.

Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the hate? It's a good video and a fine shot, probably farther than 95% of the members here have ever done.

Some of the clearest video of a 1200 yard shot I've seen, the entire frame didn't turn to fuzz on super zoom and you could hear the impact.

Good shooting. </div></div>

+1 on what jasonk said, great shooting !! Too many haters out there
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tough Crowd </div></div> 1200yds is like shooting 100yds, way to easy.

great shooting man, nice rifle as well... there is a tough crowd on here, i just had a guy tell me to get my sh** together and post a real group with the .416, simply because my posted group was sub MOA @ 100yds... and all i was doin was zeroin the 99...

yes good shot many on here dont know everything that comes into play on a shot at that range ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john.boy1985</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes good shot many on here dont know everything that comes into play on a shot at that range ... </div></div>

Like DA and wind?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the hate? It's a good video and a fine shot, probably farther than 95% of the members here have ever done.

Thank you. I just dont understand all this hate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great shooting man, nice rifle as well... there is a tough crowd on here, i just had a guy tell me to get my sh** together and post a real group with the .416, simply because my posted group was sub MOA @ 100yds... and all i was doin was zeroin the 99... </div></div>

Thanks man. I just understand why people have to hate on shooting long distance. I'm trying to have fun with this sport and hopefully entertain some people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the hate? It's a good video and a fine shot, probably farther than 95% of the members here have ever done.

Thank you. I just dont understand all this hate. </div></div>

If I came off as hating, it was not what I intended. I was stating that a .338 at that distance isn't nearly as rough as a .308 at that distance. You hit it, good shit, good shot.

Hey, I've shot around that same area - it's very .338LM friendly. Good shooting - you'll enjoy taking it out to a mile
smile.gif

PS. hey Ninja, you might want to ditch those animated gifs or at least reduce them in size. It makes it hard for folks who work at places with NSFW blocks (like DoD) to read the Hide.

Some get confused about making shots in real life or making them with a keyboard. It all kinda runs together after a while for the keyboard weenies. They saw it enough times and typed about it enough times that their psyche gets conditioned into thinking they actually DID something in real life.

Nice shooting Joe, and keep them coming. I like your vids, regardless of the subject.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Joe what was your load? </div></div>

this was my buddy rifle and I never ask him. will post thou.

I can vouch for ninja...he knows his shit and can shoot better than 99% of everyone on this website. He didnt mean to be hatefull. He just calls things how he sees them is all. He will give credit when due. He is a good feller to know. Good video btw...I have a ton of footage I need to upload for yall to see too! Im going to take the 338 norma to 2000 this weekend and will video if mirage isnt too terrible. I need to get a rig to hook my camera to my swarovski spotting scope. Anyone know of any?

Chase

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ES1000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot, post soem photos of the rifle ans cope if you get a chance.
That area looks like up near 395. </div></div>

Its my friend rifle. I'll take some pictures next time. barstow,ca

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kaNwRY-pA

This was with my DTA in .338 at 1460 yards. Turn it up and ya can hear the hits.
Joe Diesel, you areshooting better than most..............keep it up, damn the haters </div></div>

Nice video!!! Yes,sometimes its hard to hear the hits off a 1400+ yard targets......Haters will keep on hating....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the hate? It's a good video and a fine shot, probably farther than 95% of the members here have ever done.

Thank you. I just dont understand all this hate. </div></div>

If I came off as hating, it was not what I intended. I was stating that a .338 at that distance isn't nearly as rough as a .308 at that distance. You hit it, good shit, good shot. </div></div>

Its cool man. On that day I shot my savage 10ba in .308 and hit the 1200 yards target 3 out of 12 time.Hard to do with high wind. With the .338 was much more accurate in the wind. We could of gone out further like 1600 to 1800 but too hard to see anything splash due to desert vegetation. Hopefully next month we'll try again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some get confused about making shots in real life or making them with a keyboard. It all kinda runs together after a while for the keyboard weenies. They saw it enough times and typed about it enough times that their psyche gets conditioned into thinking they actually DID something in real life.

Nice shooting Joe, and keep them coming. I like your vids, regardless of the subject. </div></div>

That's right man. Sometimes people start to believe their own bullsh*t
laugh.gif

Barstow is a pretty good place to stretch it out. However it is quite rocky and hard to spot misses. Try shooting into the sandy washes like dagget wash east of slash x cafe. Lots of elevated positions to shoot from gets you out of the brush. Try google earth alot of what appears as white dirt is great to shoot into, most likely need four wheel drive. Half hour north of Barstow is a town called Newberry Springs pretty sandy easy to spot even beyond 1500. there is alot of private land be careful get a BLM map. Just south of Baker there are dunes you can shoot into (super easy to spot and recover fired rounds)and ranges that are fit for artillery. Keep up with the good work and making vids. I shoot in those area about twice a month with my .308 and .338lm no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PbShipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barstow is a pretty good place to stretch it out. However it is quite rocky and hard to spot misses. Try shooting into the sandy washes like dagget wash east of slash x cafe. Lots of elevated positions to shoot from gets you out of the brush. Try google earth alot of what appears as white dirt is great to shoot into, most likely need four wheel drive. Half hour north of Barstow is a town called Newberry Springs pretty sandy easy to spot even beyond 1500. there is alot of private land be careful get a BLM map. Just south of Baker there are dunes you can shoot into (super easy to spot and recover fired rounds)and ranges that are fit for artillery. Keep up with the good work and making vids. I shoot in those area about twice a month with my .308 and .338lm no problems. </div></div>

Thanks man, I check that out.

It's sorta hard to knock the video being here since the title of this section is "Beyond a 1000 Yards". However, 1200 yds with that round makes for a boring video, a good quality one in this case.

That's essentially what my buddy and I did a while back. We placed a camcorder on a tripod close to the target, let it roll onto an SD drive, then hightailed it to the firing point. Getting it synched without timecode is tough though, but you can eyeball it by generally lining up your initial shot with the initial hit.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2-M71BnT-Y"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2-M71BnT-Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That is some nice shooting. That is an easy shot with the 338LM. It is such an impressive round it makes shooting at 1,000 and less almost give me shots. I was shooting my 338LM and my 300WM at past 1,000 then tried my 308 at exactly 1,000 and wow I was all over the place. Fracking wind was kicking my butt. Now I shoot my 308 more just to keep sharp on the wind.

For every piece of trash you carry out I will leave three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only sucky thing is, I am sure all thy a garbage was left in the desert, and not hauled back with you. </div></div>

You take what you can. Unfortunately every time I've been out at that particular spot there's been more crap added. Normally my buddies and I just bring out steel and setup several ridge lines over for ELR shooting.