• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

desert tech what do you think?

jeepnsammys

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
For a Desert Tech SRS A2 I want to do 2 barrels in carbon fiber (i have 2 SRS A2 rifles), a 7mm variant (for wife) and the other a 30 cal (for me) they both will be used for hunting and shooting steel out to 1500 yards. Reloading is not an issue for me so it can be a wildcat etc.. Thinking 24" barrel so what do you think of carbon six barrels they offer many twist rates in these calibers and what cartridge would you say is the most efficient and inherintely accurate oh and the main thing i was wondering is what twist in them calibers shooting bullets in the heavier end of both calibers?

Last edited:
Good rifle, creepy AF company behind them.

I’m not sure why it makes sense to go with a 7mm and a 30cal for a rifle that will accept CIP length cartridges. It’s not going to be lighter as a shorter configuration or whatnot. As such, I’d go 30 Sherman Magnum and plan on using 210-class monolithics loaded long.

I’d personally go for Bartlein over C6 once you’re paying for a barrel with an extension and such, and go for a left hand twist in the 1:8 range, 1:7 if you want to use the heaviest monolithics in the 245-class at the expense of not using any lightweight jacketed bullets lest they explode. C6 uses button rifling and doesn’t do left hand, and isn’t thaaat much cheaper.

Last edited:
Good rifle, creepy AF company behind them.

I’m not sure why it makes sense to go with a 7mm and a 30cal for a rifle that will accept CIP length cartridges. It’s not going to be lighter as a shorter configuration or whatnot. As such, I’d go 30 Sherman Magnum and plan on using 210-class monolithics loaded long.

I’d personally go for Bartlein over C6 once you’re paying for a barrel with an extension and such, and go for a left hand twist in the 1:8 range, 1:7 if you want to use the heaviest monolithics in the 245-class at the expense of not using any lightweight jacketed bullets lest they explode. C6 uses button rifling and doesn’t do left hand, and isn’t thaaat much cheaper.i
i should have been more clear on this ..i have 2 SRS A2 rifles the 7mm was for my wife to shoot the 300 for me just thinking that she may like a little less recoil

i was honestly looking at them i just cringe a little at the brass price but its not the end of the world. what twists you think? iwas thinking 1 in 8

So I don’t think it’s worth planning around jacketed bullets anymore if you’re going to reload. Monolithic bullets also want to be run fast for terminal performance on game, but the step up in weight class does have some advantages for wind and such...

Looking at the 212 Seneca (.461G7) for the 30 Sherman Magnum, you should be able to break 3100fps at the muzzle and break 2000yd before going transonic. 1:8 should be fine, 1:7 won’t hurt and will let you use the 241 Seneca (.555G7) at ~2950fps and 2300yd transonic.

For the 7mm, I’d go with the 151 Flatline (.360G7), and probably a 1:8 twist that will work fine for the 180 VLD if you really want to use something slower with a worse BC (.345G7) for whatever reason. You should break 3200fps at the muzzle and 1mi transonic with the Flatline.

You should get a good few reloadings out of the ADG brass at least?

I find the longer the cartridge is in the Desert Techs the better they feed. This matters in hunting scenarios and you’re good with the 30 Sherman Mag. The 7 Sherman is shorter like the SAUM and you may run into an occasional feeding issue. Look at Short Action Customs magazine modification for the Desert Tech or maybe look at the 7 LRM, 280AI, or good ol 7 mm Rem Mag if you want the 284.

Reactions: gnochi
Yeah I'd stay away from the ss in a dta. The saum is close to 100% feeding after some mag tweaking. The 40* shoulder on the ss will probably struggle getting over the bottom of the extension...

I currently shoot 300norma 26" in a desert tech a1. Bartlein 1/9
I'm in the process of having a carbon fiber bartlein made for it right now. Love that round. 225 eld at 2975fps can load hotter but no need, I've had it to 1760 with no issues.
I would prefer the Berger's but I get great deals on the 225 eld and they're available usually.

I currently shoot 300norma 26" in a desert tech a1. Bartlein 1/9
I'm in the process of having a carbon fiber bartlein made for it right now. Love that round. 225 eld at 2975fps can load hotter but no need, I've had it to 1760 with no issues.
I would prefer the Berger's but I get great deals on the 225 eld and they're available usually.
i went with the carbon six i did one in a 30 cal 1in 9 and the other a 7mm 1 in 8 not sure of exact chamberings yet but thinking the the 7mm sherman max and the sherman 30 mag?

Reactions: gnochi
If that's the bolt you currently have then definitely. I'd go with a cal that is suited for what you already have. I'm not super familiar with the 30 sherman . I just know it's similar performance to a 300 win mag.

If that's the bolt you currently have then definitely. I'd go with a cal that is suited for what you already have. I'm not super familiar with the 30 sherman . I just know it's similar performance to a 300 win mag.
30 Sherman mag is a step between 300 PRC and 300 Norma, leaning towards the latter. 300 Sherman is 300WM performance from a 30-06 bolt face.

so what is your thoughts
Digging in further, I’d stick with 1:8 for the 7mm; the 151 flatline is the bullet of choice for that. It’s faster, higher BC, and less recoil than the 180 VLD.

For the 30cal, 1:9 is good for all of the jacketed lead bullets including the 245 Berger, 1:8 is needed for the 210gr-class monolithics (flatline, hammer hunter, seneca), and 1:7 is needed for the 240gr-class monolithics (seneca). 1:7 will overspin the 245 Bergers but they should survive 1:8 and do just fine.

i was honestly looking at them i just cringe a little at the brass price but its not the end of the world. what twists you think? iwas thinking 1 in 8
This is always a funny position to take - you have b/w $5K & $10K in those rifles. Whether the brass costs $0.50 or $1.50 is trivial at best. Im on the 9th or 10th firing on that ADG brass and no signs of it giving it out any time soon.

I honestly don’t know why more people don’t talk about these

best damn long rifle I’ve ever shot
2DAF8712-5AA4-4691-916A-F44F58D0E79E.jpeg

ADB19DD5-854D-4F2B-B511-DF988408CE29.jpeg

I honestly don’t know why more people don’t talk about these

best damn long rifle I’ve ever shot View attachment 7543759

View attachment 7543760
Well, there is a 272 pg thread pinned to the top of the forum.
Otherwise, price vs niche. A lot of people will have no use for the pros of the bullpup design vs the cons (proprietary parts, questionable CS, ergos, no trigger options, etc.)

• Haha
Reactions: illbits and SRPowah