Did I burn up my 6GT at a match?

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I have a Proof competition contour 6GT barrel on my PRS rifle.
Last weekend I shared it at a PRS match with a friend who's a first time shooter, just getting him exposed to the sport.

It was 90 and we were cooking off 20 rounds per stage between the two of us.
I was getting a lot of unexplained misses and zeroed my last three stages, this is not my usual by any stretch..

The barrel now has 900 rounds through it, tonight I cleaned her good and sent some rounds at a 500 yard plate on a berm. I struggled to hit the 8" target and my last bullet did not impact anywhere near where I was shooting, like it didn't make the flight!

I'm shooting 112 match burners and they've been lights out.
Should I be concerned that the throat got trashed??

You didn't happen to switch lots of match burners did you? I ask because like you, I had great results with them in the past. Bought a bunch more and went to a match where I was suddenly shooting like shit and several of my bullets blew up in flight. A buddy on my squad also had several blow up, and he was using his own gun and his own stash of bullets but if I remember they might have been from the same lot #.

Have you cleaned it good? Have you checked the scope and action mounts? Sounds like it was a hot busy day and I would bet the bore is filthy.
Yep I gave it a scrubbing with a bronze brush with Boretech and finished with CLP.
At the end of the match I hit the zero range and was hitting .5 mils low so that probably accounted for my last 3 zeroed stages.
I checked every screw including the action screws and they were tight.
How does it shoot at 100?
I put 10 rounds in a 3/4" group, after a 2 minute break I then fired 5 more and it was a 2" group!
I ran out of ammo and won't get a chance to shoot until next week.
Iou didn't happen to switch lots of match burners did you? I ask because like you, I had great results with them in the past. Bought a bunch more and went to a match where I was suddenly shooting like shit and several of my bullets blew up in flight. A buddy on my squad also had several blow up, and he was using his own gun and his own stash of bullets but if I remember they might have been from the same lot #.
Nope
Same 500 round box that got me a score of 69 at the same course last month, I shot a 30 Saturday...
Sounds like I should test more of them, and also dig into my 115 Dtacs

I’d ditch the match burners and get some hybrids or atips. Also a bore scope will tell you if you are really cleaning your barrel or not. It might also drive you crazy pending how bad your ocd is. You have a month until the finale to get your load in order. But I’d be more focused on the KRG match in October

Well most people who are sharing a rifle try and shoot first and then last so there is a decent break in between firings. I wouldn’t think that would toast it but it sure could have.

If you cleaned it well and it’s shooting that bad you could try seating them closer to the lands to make up for the erosion?

Sounds like your scope lost zero somewhere along the line...
Yes that .5 mil shift most have happened on the third to last stage when the zeros happened, I need to sort that out as well since everything was tight.
Before that though I was getting unexplained misses on relatively easy targets with solid positions.

Well most people who are sharing a rifle try and shoot first and then last so there is a decent break in between firings. I wouldn’t think that would toast it but it sure could have.

If you cleaned it well and it’s shooting that bad you could try seating them closer to the lands to make up for the erosion?
Yeah we started doing that a few stages in when the weird misses started happening, small squad though and we were cruising along pretty quickly.
I'm just speculating at this point cuz it's driving me nuts that I won't be able to sort this out for another week or two

More than a couple of guys out there have shared their stories of the Matchburners coming apart in flight. Even my UPS delivery guy was griping to me last week about it happening to him last year. Sorry, that sounds like a bullshit hearsay story...but an internet search will bring up multiple results.

I'd switch to another bullet if you can...just to see if the random accuracy and disappearance in flight is repeatable, or if you can narrow it down to the projectile pretty quickly.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
first things I'd do is chrono some loads to see if your speed is still where it should be them try some bergers or a tips like previously stated.
if your gun won't group bergers something is probably wrong.
proof barrels are known to be soft and not last as long in my small shooting circle. theyre kind of thought of as second rate barrels. i know a guy with a dasher and proof died after just 900 easy rounds, very slow fire rate.. fwiw mullerworks has like a 1 month backorder right now so that's your best bet for a gucci barrel to maybe finish up the year with.
a 6mm gt will be much less forgiving when doing what you're doing than say, a 6.5mm similar cartridge like x47L or creedmoor.

Last edited:
Match burners are trash. I was trying them in a 6CM at like 2850 and they shoot well for 5 rounds then absolute dog shit. Thankfully I only bought 300 to test out. I wouldn’t trust them further than I could throw them.
Having said that, I have seen barrels go south and never shoot the same after what you’re describing. Had it happen to a buddy with his 6.5CM. He ended up having to get a new barrel. His steel proof pre fit was never the same.

Reactions: drglock
Someone can correct me, but it does seem odd that worn out barrel shoots great for 5-10 rounds then goes south again. wonder if the bullets are starting to come apart inside the barrel and fouling it. could be that the barrel is on it's last legs and that is causing the jackets to shred in the barrel, but yeah try some other bullets in it and see it the behavior persists.

Someone can correct me, but it does seem odd that worn out barrel shoots great for 5-10 rounds then goes south again. wonder if the bullets are starting to come apart inside the barrel and fouling it. could be that the barrel is on it's last legs and that is causing the jackets to shred in the barrel, but yeah try some other bullets in it and see it the behavior persists.
is that rifle barrel threaded at the muzzle?
I'd slug it...

Match burners are trash. I was trying them in a 6CM at like 2850 and they shoot well for 5 rounds then absolute dog shit. Thankfully I only bought 300 to test out. I wouldn’t trust them further than I could throw them.
Having said that, I have seen barrels go south and never shoot the same after what you’re describing. Had it happen to a buddy with his 6.5CM. He ended up having to get a new barrel. His steel proof pre fit was never the same.
Yeah good points from all of you guys on here.
I'll change up bullets for sure but now I'm actually considering putting a 223 match chambered barrel on and running tactical next year. At least I'll be able to shoot a shitload with consistent accuracy, and improve my wind skills..

Reactions: oldrifleman
I’d check the torque on everything on the rifle (starting with the action screws, which is what it sounds like to me) and then break out the ol’ borescope if you haven’t already (I’ve seen more than a couple barrels that were supposedly “clean” that the borescope showed otherwise).

I go back and forth between A-Tips and Match Burners and have shot thousands of each and IME they’re much closer than many think. If they were shooting “lights out” I’d rule the other stuff out first.

Bore scope it, see how bad the fire cracking looks. Looks can be deceiving, more important than how it looks is how it shoots but we already kinda know that

I'm betting it looks like flaking dragon skin with missing scales. Try some 105s or 109s hybrids. If those won't group nothing will.

20rd strings on a hot day at one or two stages, not a big deal. Every stage? That's pretty harsh. Would that toast a throat by itself, I doubt it, at 900+ rounds I wouldn't really recommend it.

Part of this that kills barrels is bearing surface, bigger bullets have more of it, especially at higher velocities and pressures. How fast are you pushing these 112s?

I had never heard this.
Any more info?
Maybe I worded that poorly, how's this?

"Part of this that kills barrels is bearing surface, bigger bullets have more of it, especially with the higher velocities and pressures people are running in competition...combined with the extra bearing surface of these heavier/high BC bullets, it seems logical you'll wear the barrel out faster."

Less offensive to you, spock?

"Part of this that kills barrels is bearing surface, bigger bullets have more of it, especially with the higher velocities and pressures people are running in competition...combined with the extra bearing surface of these heavier/high BC bullets, it seems logical you'll wear the barrel out faster."

I'm a little lost as well. How does more bearing surface kill a barrel faster? Friction? Pressure?

Reactions: Baron23
LOL. No offense taken in the first place.
I sincerely left the question open for me to learn something but all I gleamed from your reply is that you are touchy AF and easily ruffled by a question.

Don't worry about me. Carry on.

You do know who Terry Cross is don't you?

If you have a link to some peer-reviered studies with empirical data, dude I'd love for you to share it. It would be a great chance for myself to learn something (and I bet I'm not the only one). I'm never married to any one idea, but I need to see some studies and testing before I change my opinions.

If you're guessing or regurgitating someone else's hypothesis, while insulting one of the OG rifle 'smiths who makes a living selling precision rifles to a myriad of law enforcement agencies...well...you can certainly continue that route as well. Just please be advised that your future contributions on here will be taken with a grain of salt for sure.

This isn't to start a pissing match. We know about things like powder volume, pressure, and temperature effects on barrel longevity. If bearing surface testing has been done with provable effects, I'd (we'd) like to see that too.

Reactions: moosemeat
I had never heard this.
Any more info?
Terry, I’ve never seen any hard numbers/data but it’s pretty much agreed on by different ammo/bullet makers I’ve talked to that in a given caliber a longer bullet / longer bearing surface will also effect/shorten barrel life.

So like in a 30cal…. A 150gr match bullet vs a 190gr match bullet the 190 is going to be harder on the barrel. A bullet maker/lab guys will be at the shop on Tuesday. I’ll bring the question up and see if they can shed any light on it.

Obermeyer years ago said that was a true thing as well. I remember him saying when breaking in a barrel to use the longest / heaviest bullet you can shoot at a moderate load/pressure/velocity to break in the barrel.

It might have to do with a combination of things…. Type of bullet, type of powder etc… more than just the bullet. Friction, heat?

Later, Frank

I’d check the torque on everything on the rifle (starting with the action screws, which is what it sounds like to me) and then break out the ol’ borescope if you haven’t already (I’ve seen more than a couple barrels that were supposedly “clean” that the borescope showed otherwise).
Action torque is the first place I started, followed by all the scope mount screws.
A friend of mine has a bore scope so I'll be checking that next.

Reactions: CK1.0
Terry, I’ve never seen any hard numbers/data but it’s pretty much agreed on by different ammo/bullet makers I’ve talked to that in a given caliber a longer bullet / longer bearing surface will also effect/shorten barrel life.

So like in a 30cal…. A 150gr match bullet vs a 190gr match bullet the 190 is going to be harder on the barrel. A bullet maker/lab guys will be at the shop on Tuesday. I’ll bring the question up and see if they can shed any light on it.

Obermeyer years ago said that was a true thing as well. I remember him saying when breaking in a barrel to use the longest / heaviest bullet you can shoot at a moderate load/pressure/velocity to break in the barrel.

It might have to do with a combination of things…. Type of bullet, type of powder etc… more than just the bullet. Friction, heat?

Later, Frank

I am eager to hear more Frank. Thanks for doing some legwork.

Totally different cartridge and bullet but I recently had bullets coming apart due to a carbon fouled barrel. I may have had 150 rounds, at most, through the barrel since the last cleaning but let the rifle sit for a while. A bore scope showed a lot of hard carbon.

Separately, a while back I was getting significant pressure in with my 6GT from H4350 at moderate pressure levels. Looking in the barrel showed more carbon than I've ever seen, regardless of round count, in a barrel. It took an abrasive to get it completely out.

The point of both of these comments is that OP probably needs to look inside the barrel and see if he's actually cleaned out the carbon. I'd bet this is a fouling issue.

Reactions: FatBoy

Later, Frank

Interesting.

I wonder if this is known through empirically testing, or if its a bit of lore that has been passed down through different generations of individuals in the business.

I would be curious to find out what testing has been done.

Last edited:
This is from the Q&A section on Krieger barrels website regarding copper fouling.

“Our experience and some of the bullet manufactures is that the higher the pressure/velocity, the more the bullets tend to foul the barrel. Long bearing surface bullets will also foul a barrel quicker than a short bearing surface bullet.”

Reactions: Haney
I think that there are going to be quite a few anecdotal examples.

Anecdotal examples fuel 95% of the arguments in the reloading section of this site.

I would love to see empirical data. Somebody has to have conducted this somewhere.

Reactions: kthomas

Thanks for sharing your input Frank. I appreciate your expertise and opinion.

Here is where I was coming from on the friction thing and somewhat dismissing the pressure thing when it comes to bullet weight...

Disclaimer: I will try to explain where my opinions originated from and I will do an extra sucky job of writing this...
I regularly find out a lot of things I took as fact in the past were wrong or have changed considerably. I'm all ears and definitely don't want to pass on bad info to other, newer rifle peeps.

Friction?
I remember talking to the guys at Sierra years ago that did the accuracy testing for different lots of bullets, I think all the match stuff specifically. I'm sure you know all of them by name and likely do barrels for them.

Anyhow, I recall them saying that they produced and sold a shit ton of jacketed 9mm and 45 ACP bullets. Like WAY more than I could have imagined. Lots going to US ammo companies but a surprising number to Intl. companies. Some SKUs of the 9 and 45 line had to meet certain accuracy specs so they test fired them just like the rifle bullets. I think 10rds per target pretty much as fast as they could load and fire the fixtured actions.

They said the rifle barrels used in the test fixtures were all being replaced at round counts that we would expect.
What the big deal to us was that they were pretty much using the same test barrels in the pistol fixtures that they started with. Some of the pistol fixtures had like >100K rounds fired through the original barrels but the chambers and bores looked excellent.

With this in mind, the conclusion was that the friction from jacketed projos had a very minimal impact on barrel bore wear. Of course the pistol ammo had miniscule pressures and heat compared to modern rifle ammo so that took more of the heat and pressure variables out of the wear equation leaving only jacket to bore friction as a potential major player. Again, seemingly little or no wear from friction.

Pressure differences due to bullet weight/bearing surface.
This is where I came to believe that pressure combined with the short pulse of plasma hot gasses are the main contributors to bore erosion.

But I have a hard time aligning my logic with comments above regarding pressures of light versus heavy bullets.

Assume that we use the OP's 6GT cartridge as an example.
SAAMI MAP is around 62K psi. Loading and shooting 70gr 6mm bullets and 107gr 6mm bullets, the MV would be higher for the lighter bullets but wouldn't the chamber pressures be the same or almost the same at publicly accepted SAAMI CUP or PSI ?

I would have thought 62K psi with a 70gr versus 62K psi with a 107gr would be a constant.
Maybe slight dwell times with getting the heavier bullet going might affect the pressure curve between the two but then usually bullets of such different weights usually call for powders with different burn rates. Even then, the two different powders are being loaded to the same MAP.

We had come the the opinion that almost all of the cracking and throat erosion was attributable to the material compression and relaxation coinciding with the hot plasma gases looking for an exit.

We figured that the interior of the chamber and throat is expanding during the ride up the pressure curve. Guessing that the interior surfaces are trying to expand faster and more than the exterior surface, there is a good bit of barrel material compression taking place then relaxing again as the pressure subsides.

The material at the interior surface is the most abused and the most stretched so it would become less flexible, start to crack, allow deeper fire cutting and exposing underlying material to the direct expansion loads. So the first surface flaws to appear will allow accelerated damage which continues to speed up the damage even more. Finally chunks start coming loose as the interior surface sloughs off.
Kinda reminds me of the ablative heat shields on the earlier Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.

If I am thinking correctly, this momentary exterior stretching or expansion is why wire strain gauges mounted to the exterior of the barrel can feed information to the instruments?

Yes sir. I talked with Boots several times in the 80s and 90s. Maybe put on about 100 of his blanks. He was a really awesome resource. I forgot the name of it but he would write several articles about muzzle wear, bore wear, high power, bullets, etc. At one point I had them all printed out. They were called "Boots on (something I can't remember).

I remember him mentioning the heavier, longer bullets for barrel break-in. I always took it to mean that we were just wanting to burnish the new throat and get a good initial uniform foul down the bore. Thus the longer bearing surface at moderate velocity.
If my context was correct with his intent, using the heavier bullets for that chore would be a totally different discussion/cause/effect than the actual bore erosion conundrum?

Later, Frank
Please do bring this up with your brainiac friends and let us know what floats to the top.

Again, I am not arguing that the above is the way things are. I'm just explaining how I came to my opinion. I welcome the critique of what I got wrong.

Thanks for sharing your input Frank. I appreciate your expertise and opinion.

Here is where I was coming from on the friction thing and somewhat dismissing the pressure thing when it comes to bullet weight...

Disclaimer: I will try to explain where my opinions originated from and I will do an extra sucky job of writing this...
I regularly find out a lot of things I took as fact in the past were wrong or have changed considerably. I'm all ears and definitely don't want to pass on bad info to other, newer rifle peeps.

Friction?
I remember talking to the guys at Sierra years ago that did the accuracy testing for different lots of bullets, I think all the match stuff specifically. I'm sure you know all of them by name and likely do barrels for them.

Anyhow, I recall them saying that they produced and sold a shit ton of jacketed 9mm and 45 ACP bullets. Like WAY more than I could have imagined. Lots going to US ammo companies but a surprising number to Intl. companies. Some SKUs of the 9 and 45 line had to meet certain accuracy specs so they test fired them just like the rifle bullets. I think 10rds per target pretty much as fast as they could load and fire the fixtured actions.

They said the rifle barrels used in the test fixtures were all being replaced at round counts that we would expect.
What the big deal to us was that they were pretty much using the same test barrels in the pistol fixtures that they started with. Some of the pistol fixtures had like >100K rounds fired through the original barrels but the chambers and bores looked excellent.

With this in mind, the conclusion was that the friction from jacketed projos had a very minimal impact on barrel bore wear. Of course the pistol ammo had miniscule pressures and heat compared to modern rifle ammo so that took more of the heat and pressure variables out of the wear equation leaving only jacket to bore friction as a potential major player. Again, seemingly little or no wear from friction.

Pressure differences due to bullet weight/bearing surface.
This is where I came to believe that pressure combined with the short pulse of plasma hot gasses are the main contributors to bore erosion.

But I have a hard time aligning my logic with comments above regarding pressures of light versus heavy bullets.

Assume that we use the OP's 6GT cartridge as an example.
SAAMI MAP is around 62K psi. Loading and shooting 70gr 6mm bullets and 107gr 6mm bullets, the MV would be higher for the lighter bullets but wouldn't the chamber pressures be the same or almost the same at publicly accepted SAAMI CUP or PSI ?

I would have thought 62K psi with a 70gr versus 62K psi with a 107gr would be a constant.
Maybe slight dwell times with getting the heavier bullet going might affect the pressure curve between the two but then usually bullets of such different weights usually call for powders with different burn rates. Even then, the two different powders are being loaded to the same MAP.

We had come the the opinion that almost all of the cracking and throat erosion was attributable to the material compression and relaxation coinciding with the hot plasma gases looking for an exit.

We figured that the interior of the chamber and throat is expanding during the ride up the pressure curve. Guessing that the interior surfaces are trying to expand faster and more than the exterior surface, there is a good bit of barrel material compression taking place then relaxing again as the pressure subsides.

The material at the interior surface is the most abused and the most stretched so it would become less flexible, start to crack, allow deeper fire cutting and exposing underlying material to the direct expansion loads. So the first surface flaws to appear will allow accelerated damage which continues to speed up the damage even more. Finally chunks start coming loose as the interior surface sloughs off.
Kinda reminds me of the ablative heat shields on the earlier Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.

If I am thinking correctly, this momentary exterior stretching or expansion is why wire strain gauges mounted to the exterior of the barrel can feed information to the instruments?

Yes sir. I talked with Boots several times in the 80s and 90s. Maybe put on about 100 of his blanks. He was a really awesome resource. I forgot the name of it but he would write several articles about muzzle wear, bore wear, high power, bullets, etc. At one point I had them all printed out. They were called "Boots on (something I can't remember).

I remember him mentioning the heavier, longer bullets for barrel break-in. I always took it to mean that we were just wanting to burnish the new throat and get a good initial uniform foul down the bore. Thus the longer bearing surface at moderate velocity.
If my context was correct with his intent, using the heavier bullets for that chore would be a totally different discussion/cause/effect than the actual bore erosion conundrum?

Please do bring this up with your brainiac friends and let us know what floats to the top.

Again, I am not arguing that the above is the way things are. I'm just explaining how I came to my opinion. I welcome the critique of what I got wrong.
Yes the pistol caliber barrels go a long time. Not just at Sierra but Federal Cart. Etc… not uncommon for a 45acp or 9mm etc… to have 80k or more rounds on them. Pressure has a lot to do with it. Also the short fat pistol bullets are not as temperamental to problems in the bore / damaged rifling and typically still shoot pretty good… rifle calibers though…. Totally different story.

I’ll talk to the guys on Monday/Tuesday. Will be shooting the F class champs next week. That’s why they’re coming up and doing a shop visit.

Spit balling here, but maybe greater bearing surface equates to more friction which in turn creates heat? I don’t know. Interesting statement.
Also using Bullseye pistol powder at 80,000 psi in a 6GT, man that'll torch up a throat quick. JK, OP! Sorry you are having such trouble.

I've been there before by having a 20x47L throat torched by 300 rounds using R17 and sending "long" 55's at 3830 fps. Go wild and get defiled, lol.

It feels like people are conflating heavier bullets (which are understood to burn up barrels faster than lighter bullets, because the barrel and throat are exposed directly to flame/heat for longer) with bearing surface, which generally increases with bullet weight.

Put another way, it is accepted that all other things being equal, shooting 180s through a .308 does more damage to the barrel than shooting the same number of 150s, even if the powder charge was the same. In most cases, the 180s will also have a much longer bearing surface in comparison to the 150s. But if bullet friction (and another logical leap - that increased bearing surface meaningfully impacts bullet friction) was a primary driver of barrel wear, PCCs, which are often all bearing surface, shouldn't last tens of thousands of rounds.

I've never heard that with two bullets of the same weight, same powder load, one with a longer bearing surface caused more wear. It should be easy to determine this - maybe these bullets stay lodged in the throat for fractions of a second longer, leading to higher flame temps or a longer duration of peak flame? Something that should show up in pressure testing, for example.

I'd have thought the best way to test this would be to use two bullets of the same weight but different design. E.g. the 155.5gr Berger and 155gr Scenar-L's look to have quite different bearing surfaces.

Question for those advocating that friction between the bullet jacket and bore has a major effect on barrel wear:

100% of shot out barrels have the most damage immediately in front of the chamber. The lead and throat have the most severe damage and that damage decreases with distance away from the chamber. Even the most severely shot out barrels have almost pristine bore condition for roughly 2/3 to 1/2 the length as measured from the muzzle back. This pattern exists in barrels that were shot out with 100% heavy bullets (competition shooters) as well as those shot out with 100% light bullets (coyote and PD hunters).

This is exactly why many discuss and elect to "set a barrel back". I am not a fan of that approach at all but it does acknowledge that the only damage is immediately in front of the chamber.

If jacket friction was a major contributor to barrel wear, why does that wear hardly exist as you approach the muzzle?
Wouldn't heat from friction increase as the speed differential of the two surfaces increase? Wouldn't heat from friction be greater toward the muzzle compared to close to the chamber?

Thoughts to the contrary?

I don't know enough to opine on the subject of barrel death. However, static friction is different than kinetic friction. And, an object experiences less friction in motion than it does when static. Just a thought that I don't think is counter to any of the real world observations...

Screen Shot 2024-08-12 at 12.18.37 PM.png

Reactions: Terry Cross
I tend to agree Terry, the example I would put out is the 6 Creedmoor which is a known barrel burner. That said it is also known that barrel life decreases almost exponentially as velocity increases. But when the barrels are examined the throat area is where the most damage is seen. The lands are not torn up or worn. If the bearing surface has that great of an impact I would expect the lands to be worn and rounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Cross