• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Did Sierra change the .308 175 SMK in some way?

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
Normally my OAL sets me right at the lands with them... Box to box has been very consistant.... Open up a new 500ct box. Load up 150 rnds. Same OAL.(base to tip) They are now at least .030" + jammed into the lands. WTF? Ive loaded/shot a runnin ton of them and never ran into this?

Re: Did Sierra change the .308 175 SMK in some way?

Not to undermine, but did you ensure you grabed 175's
or have all the 175's you had on hand where the same lot number. An the new box a different lot number.
Seating die set in one turn to many.
Hopefully some one else can shed some light as I too am getting ready to open up box #3

No change in seating die. Definately 175s. The new box may well be a new lot number, but thats never been an issue before, and Ive loaded/shot many a thousand of em.

Like I said in my first post, the ammo loaded with the "old" lot of bullets measures the same base to tip as the "new" lot, but the new lot jams into the lands at least .030" maybe more. The bolt will hardly close because of it. I can surely understand a little bit of inconsistancy, but this is rediculous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ck. your bullet diameter. bet they are large than .308. Jamming in freebore. </div></div>

Thought about that too. My 15pc sample size all measure .308.

i bought 500 175 smk about 6 weeks ago and they measured .3083 to .3085 and had to load them .030 short, could see rub marks on bullets from rubbing,jamming in throat.