Dillon 550 or 750?

Herb Stoner

Public Nuisance
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Jan 13, 2019
Two Places at Once
Time to get a progressive but not sure which one would suit my needs the best. I wouldn't do high volume and would continue to do rifle loads on a single stage. It wouldn't see a lot of use but occasional runs of 500 or so 9mm and some 223 for plinking for my SIL. I don't think I really need the sheer volume capability of the 750 and I've heard there are issues with a powder checker if I add a feeder anyhow. Any big advantage I'd be missing if I skip the 750 and run with the tried and true 550?

The 550 gives more control over what you are doing Vs the 750. If you've settled on a handful of loads and are just looking for speed/volume the 750 with a bullet feeder is a good choice.

I take my time on the 550 and can do 300 rounds per hour and look inside each case to ensure the powder drop looks right. If you don't care and fully trust it to go right you can easily do 5-600 rounds per hour.

Get the 550. A lot of guys I know think they want all the bells and whistles of the 650/750 but in reality unless you are shooting a lot (and I mean A LOT) of volume in the same caliber you won’t appreciate the additional automation the platform offers and instead will be frustrated with the crap you won’t use and can be irritating to set up. The 550 is the perfect amount of progressive press that still requires user input IMO. I have (2) Square Deals (one LP one SP) and (2) 550s (one LR one SR) never owned a 650 but have spent a decent amount of time behind friend’s equipment. You can still load a decent amount of rounds through a 550 without much effort or time once you get in a groove. Just one guys opinion.

Last edited:
Why would you not want to load rifle on a the press?

I load my precision ammo on my 650 I just throw the powder with my autotrickler v3 set up...

I hate reloading... Faster I can get that noise done the better
Thanks for the input - I'd consider rifle on the dillon at some point. I've only dabbled with reloading for a couple of years and the single stage has been great for learning and experimenting. I don't do much volume so the single stage is fine for now.

I own a 550. Its a hell of a press and I have no issues recommending Dillon as a company, or their product. The 550 has a bit more 'control' in that its all manual. I think the learning curve is about even between the two, and they share the slide shuttle primer now that runs fantastic with a little bit of graphite. The 750 may take a bit more caressing to set the dies initially because of auto advance, but I keep enough toolheads around that it's a set once and forget it sort of affair.

The argument for 550 vs 750 boils down to one question - Do you ever foresee yourself wanting to run a case feeder?

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I love my 550 because toolheads for each caliber and can go from 9mm to 357 to 223 in no time.

I think it comes down to how many rounds you'll reload before switching calibers.

If less than a couple thousand or so, I'd go 550.

I've got a couple 550's and absolutely love them.

I've never owned a 650/750 and I know guys love them as well, but the 550 is just so perfect for precision rifle it's uncanny.

Hell, it's good enough for David Tubb and John Whidden.....

I've got a couple 550's and absolutely love them.

I've never owned a 650/750 and I know guys love them as well, but the 550 is just so perfect for precision rifle it's uncanny.

Hell, it's good enough for David Tubb and John Whidden.....

Ya I'm not sure where the distaste for loading precision on a 550 comes from... its a great press thats capable of a lot. I will say, it CAN take a little more work to get humming well with precision rounds, but generally speaking it can save so much time and churn out equally good ammo as any single stage or turret.

I've stopped loading on my turret, and have moved both my .223 and 6.5cm precision loads to my 550, which is perfect and I'll probably use that for the forseeable future. But now I'm to the point where I'm not a fan of loading bulk 9mm and .38 on my 550 cause its too slow for me lol. My next purchase will most likely be a 750 for those purposes.

Disclaimer: I don't have a 550 but I do own a 650. My favorite thing about it is that I can leave it sit for a few months, take the cover off and load 1000 rounds of 9mm in 2 hours taking my time.

If you want to load pistol ammo quickly, get the 750 with a casefeeder. If you want to make excellent rifle ammo in a 750 you have a few options. They are:

1. Use the 750 to de-prime, prime, size, neck expand, then measure powder and seat on another press. (This saves more time than you'd think)
2. Use the 750 to do everything and weigh your charges with a scale and use a powder thru die to charge the case.

I own a 550. Its a hell of a press and I have no issues recommending Dillon as a company, or their product. The 550 has a bit more 'control' in that its all manual. I think the learning curve is about even between the two, and they share the slide shuttle primer now that runs fantastic with a little bit of graphite. The 750 may take a bit more caressing to set the dies initially because of auto advance, but I keep enough toolheads around that it's a set once and forget it sort of affair.

The argument for 550 vs 750 boils down to one question - Do you ever foresee yourself wanting to run a case feeder?
So no case feeder options for a 550 then?

Go straight to a 750. I owned two 550 and sold them once I got my 650. I load everything on my 650. On eBay there is a guy who makes an adapter to run it like a single stage press. They also make a thing where you can turn the primer off. Buy both attachments and don’t look back.

So no case feeder options for a 550 then?
Someone was working on a very basic one last year, but I've not heard anything since. The other thing to consider, the 550 has 4 die holes, the 750 has 5. So depending on how you reload, you may not have the slot for a bullet feeder. And lets face it, why run a case feeder with no bullet feeder?

How long does it take to change over a 550 vs a 750?

Assuming all the dies are set, for a 550:
If i have to change from small to large primers or vice versa, 5 minutes max. No primer change? 2 to 3 minutes. Add a minute or two if you want to give everything a wipe down while you do it.

To be fair, I'm sitting here pimping the 550, but would love to pickup a 750 for dedicated 9mm use if one came along for the right price, although I certainly don't need it. Dillon doesn't make a bad press- I'd like to have them all 😂

i’ve had the 650, still have the 550 and two square deals. for a single pistol caliber, the square deal is the shiznik. if you want a press that will do pistol and rifle with EASY changeover, the 550 is the ticket. the 650/750 is more set up unfriendly. i also do not care for the primer feed system on the 650/750.

550 is a helluva machine without being too much going on at once. yes, i did well with the 650, but between the two, i definately prefer the 550 and i think the vast majority of new handloaders would be WAY better off with the 550 than the 650/750.

i’ve yet to meet a guy that has the 550 and wishes he had a 650 instead. but i have met folks that went the 650 route and wished they had gone the 550 route.

hope this helps.

the 650/750 is more set up unfriendly.
but i have met folks that went the 650 route and wished they had gone the 550 route.
Yes, my 650's are time consuming to change calibers, which is why I have two. One is set up for 9mm and the other for .45ACP. I did it for convenience. Changeovers aren't really all that bad, but sometimes it takes a little more effort than I'd like in order to get things dialed back in.

It sounds like there's a lot of love for the 550. As I said above, I've never had one, but it's cool that so many people like them.

So depending on how you reload, you may not have the slot for a bullet feeder. And lets face it, why run a case feeder with no bulletfeeder?

Because it takes out the biggest time constraint when trying to speed up the process on a progressive...which is, the hand that works the ram has to work the press, prime, come off and grab a case, put the case in and regrab the handle. Adding a case feeder means you can reload as fast as each hand does one job at the same time.
As the hand works the press, the other hand grabs a bullet, as you prime, the other hand seats the bullet and then you’re working the presss again. With practice it’s one fluid never ending process. The bullet feeder is a nice little addition but the case feeder is what makes the biggest difference

i also do not care for the primer feed system on the 650/750.

FYI, the 750 does NOT have the same primer system the 650 does. The 750 changed to using the same primer system the 550 does. It also uses a different indexing system that is much smoother.

For changeover I would get a separate tool head and powder measure for each cartridge I’m loadI got so everything in terms of dies and powder would be pretty set up regardless of machine. Shell holder plate gets swapped on either machine. What else in terms of changeover? Seems there is more to do on the 750 (650 is no longer available) - how more is there to a 750 changeover than a 550?

Yes, my 650's are time consuming to change calibers, which is why I have two. One is set up for 9mm and the other for .45ACP. I did it for convenience. Changeovers aren't really all that bad, but sometimes it takes a little more effort than I'd like in order to get things dialed back in.

It sounds like there's a lot of love for the 550. As I said above, I've never had one, but it's cool that so many people like them.

i did the same thing with the square deals. the conversion kits are so expensive on them, i find it easier to just have a second machine set up for that caliber. the two i have are for 44 and 357. i do specials and magnums in both calibers.

the biggest thing i didnt like about the 650 was if you needed to stop during a cycle, it wasted primers.....you couldnt stop the feeding of them. the 550 and the square deals just dont pick up a primer if you dont push forward. the 650 keeps rotating that disk everytime the handle is pulled and spitting out primers. i DID like that the primer knock out station was a different station than the primer seat station....it stayed cleaner.

Because it takes out the biggest time constraint when trying to speed up the process on a progressive...which is, the hand that works the ram has to work the press, prime, come off and grab a case, put the case in and regrab the handle. Adding a case feeder means you can reload as fast as each hand does one job at the same time.
As the hand works the press, the other hand grabs a bullet, as you prime, the other hand seats the bullet and then you’re working the presss again. With practice it’s one fluid never ending process. The bullet feeder is a nice little addition but the case feeder is what makes the biggest difference

That's true, but in my mind, if I were to make the move to a press where 90% of it is automated, I would want it to be pretty close to 100% with the bulletfeeder. Otherwise, I don't think the value proposition is there for me over the 550. Actually, after this thread, and thinking about it a bit, I'm not sure I'd trade my 550 for a 750, because I load a lot of precision rifle type rounds on it. Now if I could get the 750/casefeeder/bulletfeeder in addition to the 550....

the biggest thing i didnt like about the 650 was if you needed to stop during a cycle, it wasted primers.....you couldnt stop the feeding of them. the 550 and the square deals just dont pick up a primer if you dont push forward. the 650 keeps rotating that disk everytime the handle is pulled and spitting out primers. i DID like that the primer knock out station was a different station than the primer seat station....it stayed cleaner.

The 550/750 shuttle primer system will not dump live primers. It just will not pick up another if there's already one in the bar ready to prime. But this is a fair thing to consider if you are looking at a used 650.

Screw you guys- 3 hours ago I was content with my 550.

Now I want a 750 too 😂

Hopefully once this crisis subsides I can find a deal on one that somebody panick bought and never used.

At the moment I don't have the physical space for another Dillon, especially one with a case feeder.

I have a pretty compact setup- lots of inline fabrication brackets on a small wooden square bolted to a bench grinder stand. It slides into a walk in closet when company comes over.

All that to mention- the case feeder is pretty physically large. If I was to add another press with the case feeder, I may get relegated back to the garage instead of my home office.

Screw you guys- 3 hours ago I was content with my 550.

Now I want a 750 too 😂

Hopefully once this crisis subsides I can find a deal on one that somebody panick bought and never used.

At the moment I don't have the physical space for another Dillon, especially one with a case feeder.

I have a pretty compact setup- lots of inline fabrication brackets on a small wooden square bolted to a bench grinder stand. It slides into a walk in closet when company comes over.

All that to mention- the case feeder is pretty physically large. If I was to add another press with the case feeder, I may get relegated back to the garage instead of my home office.
Hah! I was leaning toward the 550 but now I’m thinking 750 too. Still curious about changeover differences in my questions above though..

I bought a used 550 to mount next to my 650. I was going to use it as a dedicated .45 ACP press. Then I ran into a deal on a second used 650. Now I need to sell the 550 to buy a Mr. Bulletfeeder. And rearrange my reloading room and build a longer reloading bench. Keeping me busy for COVID.

The first 4 minutes covers how to change the primer system. For whatever reason they omitted showing changing out the shell plate and locator buttons. That part is literally a 60 second job on the 550. The primer system is the part I find a bit annoying to change. It isn't difficult but just a lot of little trial and error tightening to get it lined up perfectly.

Once your toolheads are setup you pull the two pins and the clip for the powder failsafe rod and simply swap toolheads and re-fasten the rod and pins and you are done (assuming dedicated powder measure per toolhead).

That's true, but in my mind, if I were to make the move to a press where 90% of it is automated, I would want it to be pretty close to 100% with the bulletfeeder. Otherwise, I don't think the value proposition is there for me over the 550. Actually, after this thread, and thinking about it a bit, I'm not sure I'd trade my 550 for a 750, because I load a lot of precision rifle type rounds on it. Now if I could get the 750/casefeeder/bulletfeeder in addition to the 550....

Oh I'm with you there. I would never get rid of my 550. But i'm at the point where I want a 750 for my 9mm and .38 loads...possibly .223 bulk, but I doubt it. And my 550 for .223, 6.5cm, and .308 precision loads.

For me, If I got to the point of getting a bullet feeder, I might seriously look at the automation systems available for them. I'm not sure I'd ever shoot that much though. Too much love for odd and opposing disciplines, and other hobbies lol.

Fortunately OP shouldn't have to ever change the priming system if he's just loading 223 and 9mm.

Exactly! I load .223 and 6.5cm on my 550. I bought Starline 6.5cm SRP brass for that reason right there. When I shoot through all of my .308 I have stashed, I may sell the brass and get SRP .308 brass for that reason alone. Not that its THAT complicated to change, but only have to buy small primers, keeping one system in place, keeping one size of everything primer wise (hand primers, primer tubes, primer system parts, primers themselves, etc)

I've also modified and fiddled with my 550 priming system to where its seats more consistently. Changing that may mess it up, and then I'd have to try and do the same to the large primer setup as well.

Or even the shell plate and buttons, is the same one for those.

9mm is shellplate #5 locator button #3
223 is shellplate #3 locator button #3.
380, however is shellplate #3 locator button #3.

Maybe shellplate #3 will work for 9mm, but Dillon would certainly like to sell you another #5 as well.

Edit- just experimented with this.
As expected, #3 is too small for 9 and 223 is too loose for #5.

Last edited:

9mm is shellplate #5 locator button #3
223 is shellplate #3 locator button #3.
380, however is shellplate #3 locator button #3.

Maybe shellplate #3 will work for 9mm, but Dillon would certainly like to sell you another #5 as well.

Edit- just experimented with this.
As expected, #3 is too small for 9 and 223 is too loose for #5.
You are correct, is the .45 ACP/.308 conversion kit that I was misremembering.

I love my 550. I love my 1050s. I hated the 650. If I am going to try to do more production than a 550, then I don't want to prime on the forward stroke. It is finicky. The leverage of the 1050 is great.

What kind of fiddling?

I followed this PDF on accurizing my 550.

I messed with where I tightened the set screw on the primer cup, tried a couple different positions. Filed the bottom of the primer cup just a tad, removed burrs. Two other things that helped was getting a better lubricant for the press itself, which gave me a lot better feedback. Personally I loved adding the roller handle to it as well. I also tried different styles of priming physically, like a sharp quick push, a soft increasing push, etc. For me the method I retained was a soft increasing push with a slight hold when the handle stops.

To be clear, all of my priming is to bottom of the primer pocket, the "crush" is what I'm trying to get consistent. For me, on my 550, I'm seating primers to 0.003" below flush with +/-0.001 consistency. That holds true about 90% of the time. Here and there I get one that +/- .002"

I'm satisfied with that for my purposes. The next step In consistency would be a primal rights CPS and I'm not ready to buy that lol

EDIT: Forgot to add the PDF I use lol.... @TheOfficeT-Rex

Attachments

• Accurizing Dillon RL550 .pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 286
Last edited: