• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Directly mounting rifle to tripod

DPRoberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
St.Louis, MO
I've thought about epoxying a threaded sleeve into the forarm of my HS stock to allow mounting it directly to the head of my tripod. I'm curious if anyone has done or seen anything like this? Obviously it's a simple enough operation, but I'm unsure how well the threaded parts would hold up under recoil.

Re: Directly mounting rifle to tripod

I think putting everything on a single point would be a lot of concentrated stress. Maybe not so much the recoil, but the torque of handing. Using a rail and a quick release plate mount seems better. I've been thinking of forgoing the rail and basically just attaching the QR plate. There are longish systems available for cameras that would allow for two or more fasteners and spread the force out.

Using a ball head that didn't lock up completely tight would be good too, it would take some of the stress off of the threaded insert.

Quite a bit of discussion on this topic as of late.

Simplest route, I would intall a small segment of rail on the fore-end and use this.
The product comes with a QD spring loaded rail mount and the lower spring section is nothing short of brilliant.

http://www.botachtactical.com/kzusagonesns.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRP7ZySDx5Y

Light, fast and a remarkable balance of support and flexibility. There goes your stress issues. When I use a heavy rifle I go for a heavy class tripod and a TSP. Flame Suite "ON"

People pee all over Botach, but I have never had a single incident with them over many years.

IF you really wanted to try this, then I think your best chance of success would be to get a Manfrotto 3157AN Quick Release Plate and bed a 3/8" insert into your stock.

Use a Manfrotto RC2 ballhead of your choice on some sticks and go.

HOWEVER, I would just buy a PRS tripod before I would ever attempt the above. It's a cost-effective solution when compared to the Manfrotto gear and likely to last longer.

I've tried mounting an Arca-Swiss quick-release plate on the forearm of my AICS and using it mounted directly to my ball-head. The implementation was about as good as it can get but I still preferred just to use a PRS saddle with a quick release plate screwed onto it. The direct mounted plate didn't do anything better than the PRS and took longer to setup and break down (or even move away from.)

I appreciate the replies guys. I guess I was focusing on the direct mount route because I was starved for a project. Sounds like I'll just have to roll my own saddle to get my DIY fix.

cheers

I've seen this done and went back and fourth if it's really worth it or not I decided not to but it does work great. Instead I have the manfrotto pistol grip head turn it on it's side and shoot off it works almost just as well....