• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dirtiest 22LR ammo ever

HotIce

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
USA
Today I shot this one ...

64885167.jpg

This is the dirtiest 22LR ammo I've shot so far. Leaves some gritty $hit all over the places, bore included.
Unfortunately I have a few bricks of this
sick.gif

Accuracy is not bad, it's just that I don't like to have my barrel lapped with extra thick compounds...

Re: Dirtiest 22LR ammo ever

The good news is that my CM-2 likes enough Eley Sport, and at $25/brick, it's pretty nice
wink.gif

50 yards, front sand bag, rear hand, iron sights, 15 rounds groups.

cimg0515r.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, the AE sand! I've always thought that was weird. Wonder if it's some kind of filler? </div></div>
I wonder what the heck that is too. It looks pretty solid, not powderish.
As I said, not something you want a bullet to drag into your barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's probably the plating flaking off. If it disolves in acetone, it's likely not the bullet. </div></div>

It's definitely not flaking plating, the grit is relatively large.

Yep, I doubt it's the plating. Too thick.
I wouldn't have any problem if that $hit would litter the bolt only, but thinking about it spreading into the bore, kinda scare me.

The odd thing is that I use the thunderbolts in my bolt action marlin and in my GSG and it's supposed to be dirty as hell. Well it's cheap, good for plinking (though wolf is a lot better for accuracy out of my bolt), AND it's cleaner than that eagle crap. I usually use the .22 auto match rounds from federal. Now those are some clean, smooth, accurate rounds.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/.22%2...oForTesting.jpg

Bottom right

OK- I request somebody out there perform a little experiment for me.

Get a bunch of that gunk and weigh it in grains. It's got to be dry. Weigh a dry patch. Now, just push that dry patch thru the bore and grab a hold of it. Weigh it again.

Now, immerse that patch into some acetone in a clean glass container (baby food jar?). Agitate until most of the patch is clean again. Dry the somewhat clean patch and weigh it.

Agitate the acetone/condensate for a while with a clean metal fork or glass rod if you've got one.

Weigh a coffee filter.

Pour the acetone/condensate thru the filter paper.

Dry the filter paper and weigh it again.

Once done, BURN everything. Don't leave it sitting around.

Can somebody get me those numbers?

Where's people with a mass spectrometer when you need them?
smile.gif

Seriously, getting "a bunch" of it requires shooting a lot of that, and I do not plan to use it.
That $hit looks like sand, as far as hardness goes. The only thing it can come from IMO, is the powder.

That's weird, because American Eagle used to be the cleanest 9mm ammo I ever shot, PMC was dirty, Winchester used to be dirty but on the 22 it's hard to say.

The Remington thunderball I have is not "bad", the federals are the cleanest for me tho...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20gr Aguila Super Colibri

Stuff it leave behind looks like sand. </div></div>

That's because 20gr Super Colibri is only driven by a zealous primer, there's no powder in it.

AE 22 is trash. The stuff shoots like crap in most of my 22's and it's dirty and it costs almost the same as Rem 22 "Golden Bullet" which seems to fly a lot better for me.

Pull the head of some rounds, empty the cartridge and fire the primer only.
I did it with SK´s in a clean barrel, you can´t believe what kind of green dirt comes of the primer.
It doesn´t say anything about the quality of the ammo, SK´s are excellent, we use american eagle for funshooting at 100m here and considering the price (half of SK) its good ammo.

Funny no one has mentioned CCI's Blazer ammo. I find it just about as dirty as the AE stuff, and it smells bad when you shoot. Kinda like something rotten....

I dont' shoot either anymore, both would jam up the cheap marlin semi-auto I used to have, in one magazine full. Got rid of that POS, too.

The Kaiser

Federal Auto-MATCH (AM22) is da poop!!!
Clean, accurate, and CHEAP!

The only problem is finding it.
I have been able to find some at my local Wally World about every 6 weeks or so.
I go through 3 - 5 hundred rounds of it a week praticeing and have never had a problem.
(FTF rate is about 1 in 1000 with my 10/22 trainer.)
The priming of these rounds is peticularly good.
Very uniform and fires even with lighter strikes due to a dirty chamber.

As a side note, if you know anyone that does any Full Auto .22 stuff, AM22 works as well CCI Minimag for functioning & reliability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thunderbolts </div></div>
Funny, I was at Dick's to pickup a gun case, and they had a "sale" on those (gee, wonder why), $16/brick.
I heard any sort of $hit about those, but I've never shot them before. I guess I'm going to find out ...

The hard stuff is either carbon or glass from the powder. If you wet a patch and push it through the bore you can feel it on the patch. I don't know of any ammo that doesn't leave this stuff in your bore.
larryj

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thunderbolts </div></div>
Funny, I was at Dick's to pickup a gun case, and they had a "sale" on those (gee, wonder why), $16/brick.
I heard any sort of $hit about those, but I've never shot them before. I guess I'm going to find out ...
</div></div>
22LR ammo is strange.
I shot 100 rounds with my CM-2, not a single problem (OK, that easy, the CM-2 is single shot bolt action).
Accuracy actually wasn't <span style="text-decoration: underline">that</span> bad (around 1-1.5" 10 rounds groups, 50 yards, irons), at least for the comments I heard online.
Didn't look <span style="text-decoration: underline">that</span> much dirty either, at least compared to the AE22 mess.
I also shot 100 rounds with my BuckMark. Fed correctly, but accuracy was real $hitty. I mean <span style="font-weight: bold">BAD</span>!
Since wasn't accurate enough for both, I made a 300 rounds gift to an old man that seems to be living at the 50 yards pistol range
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: larryj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hard stuff is either carbon or glass from the powder. If you wet a patch and push it through the bore you can feel it on the patch. I don't know of any ammo that doesn't leave this stuff in your bore.
larryj </div></div>
Sorry to ask, but what would glass be doing in the powder?