Disassembling a QD swivel?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Anyone know how to get one of these apart?

P1040536.jpg

I have something I'd like to thread onto it but I need to pull the loop off to thread it on there. I don't know if it's possible to get these apart without destroying them but figured I'd ask.

Re: Disassembling a QD swivel?

That would definitely get it apart but it isn't going to work very well after that. I need to pull it apart, thread something on the loop and get it back together, if that's possible.

did you try putting a long nose/snipe pliers into the loop then opening the pliers.forces the loop open and out of the stud. thread on what you need then put the loop back onto the stud and squeeze it from the outside with regular pliers.worked for me on a similar loop stud setup

The way to do this is to clamp one end of the loop in a vice so that the whole thing cannot move, then grab the other end with a pair of vice grip, and the pull on the vice grip. The loop will now open. Whether you can get it back together is the real question.

I used bailing wire and attached each end of the loop to one jaw of my bench vice. Cranked the bench vice open just enough to get the loop off and used the vice to get it closed back up after I threaded the strap onto it. Worked great, thanks for the help fellas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used bailing wire and attached each end of the loop to one jaw of my bench vice. Cranked the banch vice open just enough to get the loop off and used the vice to get it closed back up after I threaded the strap onto it. Worked great, thanks for the help fellas. </div></div>
Excellent solution - that is using you head!