• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Distance for .308. How far can you go?

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hey fellas I have a .308 and I have shot 1000yrds several times. I just put a night force + 40 moa rail on it for a little more adjustment because I want to try to hit steel @ about 1300 just to see if I can. What's the longest shot y'all have made or saw with a .308?

Re: Distance for .308. How far can you go?

I've done 1400, but had about a 40 percent hit rate on a man sized target. It was also over 100 degrees out and I was at 2400'. Shooting lapua 155 scenars at 2950 fps. Tried 1340 last weekend at 60 degrees and couldn't get there. I was seeing horizontal variation of about 1/2 mil in my impacts.

longest shot I've made with a .308 was with a M240B on a moving target at 1000 yards, took me about 3/4s of a belt to get the hit but I blame that on barely being able to see the target (before I got my eyes zapped and was wearing old glasses)

1400! Wow that's a loong way with a .308! Ima try 1300 in a few days with 45.5grns of varget,175berger vld and cci primers. It's slidin out at 2650. Maybe I can lob one over to the target.

My personal best long shot is 1360 yards.

The dirt patch below the arrow is where the target was located. I took this pic from my firing point with no magnification on the camera.

Here's another with the camera zoomed in as far as it would go. The target is the little white spec just above the tip of the arrow.

And the target after we brought it back up the mountain. One of the other shooters got a hit on it also a little higher up than mine.

Rifle is my R&D Precision built .308 with a 22" Schnieder barrel and a Suppressed Armament Systems suppressor. I was shooting 43.3gr of RL15, 175SMK, 210M and Federal GMM once fired brass at 2725fps.

I shoot at the Lander Valley Sportsmen Club (Lander WY). They have gongs out to 1400 yards. There matches are on Sat & Sunday and I show up a day or two early to camp on the range and play with the gongs. I walked my Super Match M1A (using 175s & iron sights) onto the target. All you have to do is pick a spot you think is the target and have your spotter walk you in. I didnt measure the target but its a bit bigger then a mansize sil. I wouldnt want to bet my life on the shot, but its fun to play with. Tried it with a pistol, that didnt pan out so good. I was able to walk my 45-70 in though. If you want to have some fun and dont mind wasting ammo, its fun.

I used a 20MOA base and dialed all of the elevation I needed to get there on my shot. Actually hit 2 MOA high on my first attempt and held low to get my hit. 11MOA hold for wind.

I'm impressed guys nice shootin. I wish we had big vallys and mountains in Louisiana it's hard to find somewhere good to kill the steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm impressed guys nice shootin. I wish we had big vallys and mountains in Louisiana it's hard to find somewhere good to kill the steel. </div></div>

Where in Louisiana are you from? I'm a Baton Rouge boy living in Houston, TX now. GEAUX TIGERS!! If you happen to live close to the TX state line, you should come check out our 1000yd facility at our local club. Id me more that willing to come out there let you and your rifle stretch their legs.

My personal best was 1283 yds on a ground hog in Central Virginia. I was using a 178 Amax pushing it around 2710 out of a GAP Rock with a 24 inch tube. Got lucky as hell that day. I've been able to put rounds on steel at 1300ish providing the conditions were right using the same load. Consistency with a .308 gets trickier than hell past 1000 yards and you more or less need a lot of luck on your side because of the conditions you happen to find yourself shooting in. Wind is a bitch on a .308, it doesn't matter who's driving it, IMHO.

Chad

I'm up close to Monroe LA. I was just working in sweeny tx last week tho, I passed rite thru Houston. My ol,lady's dad lives in sugar land tx and we go down there pretty often and visit. The next time we go I'll get up with ya, it's always cool to meet another shooter.

Sweet mercy, 1400Y is quite a distance for a .308. It's got to be moving pretty good to not tumble at that distance.

Phylodog, how do you know you hit that thing? Seems to me that it would be hard to see, and it would be difficult hearing at that distance.

It was a clean painted steel when it was put into place and there were no fewer than 6 people watching it through glass when I hit it. The splash was visible through my 3.2-17X USO, couldn't hear the hit.

1120 yards. 208AMax at 2480 fps MV. 40 moa up, from 100yd zero.

Img_7466.jpg

I've played further out, plinking at rocks and shit, but cannot quantify with a target.

Tried to get some hits at 1850 yards one day, but I was having a hell of a time because I couldn't see splashes in snowy ground. This pic shows a pattern in the ground short of the target about 15 yards. I was correcting up about 90 moa.
    Img_7481.jpg

well that sounds like some pretty good shootin from some of you gents. i once shot a shotgun shell at 100 yards with a stock norinco 1911 on a bet and lucked into winnin that with 7 rounds fired, but do i think its a hundred yard tack driver...no. sometimes we need to think right tool for the job. flip side tho we never improve if we dont push the envelope and ive sadly never had oppurtunity to attempt those remarkable distances with any 7.62 platform. sounds fun.

1400 must be a popular distance...made one hit (center on a 12" square after 3 sighters) then quit
    smile.gif
    (175SMK 2700fps, 72MOAup)

Also shot it at 1 mile with about 120MOA up had to max out a 5-22NXS and dial the scope down to 8x and hold on the next-to-bottom hash. Hit in the vicinity, with one accidental hit.

Tracking was predictable at 1400, but not so much at 1 mile. Would have been able to hit a car at 1 mile, but a person may have been 10% hits...maybe

JB