Distance Measuring App

mudvayne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Washington TX
So i downloaded this free app that measures distances exactly between two points using google earth. I have used it compared to my range finder and it actually seems to be dead on. Just figured I would share the news. My swaro cant get better than 2k so this app helps when I shoot my 338 norma at 2000+ yards.

The app is simply called "Distance Measure"

Enjoy

Chase

Re: Distance Measuring App

Yes I have a converter on my phone I switch the meters/km into yards. I zoomed in on my 1 mile range and my 3000 yard range and it was dead nuts. It even showed my 1000 yard range to be 914 meters. Cant argue with that really!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coleridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't find it on my Droid...??? (don't make since since it's associated with google) What phone are you using? </div></div>

iPhone app

ahhh... oh well. I found another that is on Droid that evidently uses same technic (based off google earth) & has yards unit option.

Thanks for the heads up though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coleridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ahhh... oh well. I found another that is on Droid that evidently uses same technic (based off google earth) & has yards unit option.

Thanks for the heads up though</div></div>

And that app is?????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i downloaded this free app that measures distances exactly between two points using google earth. I have used it compared to my range finder and it actually seems to be dead on. Just figured I would share the news. My swaro cant get better than 2k so this app helps when I shoot my 338 norma at 2000+ yards.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The app is simply called "Distance Measure</span>"

Enjoy

Chase</div></div>

Distance Measure

Okay, So I see a Deer. Do I have to go where he is ,then come back to where I want to shoot him so your App can tell me how far he is????

Or should I go to the spot put corn out. then go to my shooting spot then check app to see the distance, and hope deer comes out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, So I see a Deer. Do I have to go where he is ,then come back to where I want to shoot him so your App can tell me how far he is????

Or should I go to the spot put corn out. then go to my shooting spot then check app to see the distance, and hope deer comes out. </div></div>

For the first scenario you suggest you'd be better off with a rangefinder! Second scenario this app may be useful for you. For me its only really going to be useful for fixed position shooting target shooting, I can't really see it being practical for hunting unless it was long range varminting. I shall be using it on military field firing ranges where I can see targets (tank hulks) on google earth and range them, but only where my range finder won't return a reading (>1800 yards).

Thanks, I have it now and no need to move to the target to get the right distance. I am in Belgium and I can tell you now that, between the Ryerson & Burnham library, Chicago and Nicollet Island, Minneapolis, there are 570 km (and I know that it is really useless ;-) ). But an internet connection is required.

i have one called gps essentials on a droid, tells you altitude of each waypoint. Perfect for setting up your own range of steel then walking to a shooting position and it will tell you the range of every target. It can store as many waypoints as you want, and you can set a waypoint with your my location its really pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the tool giving you a slope distance or a horizontal distance? Seems like a really good tool for practice and just having fun. </div></div>
Anyone know that answer?

It only gives horizontal distance. But I would think that it wouldn't take much to figure in the altitude difference to give a slope angle. I've been using this app at my range and in the desert to get out to past a mile. My rangefinders will work out to about 1800 yds but only on reflective targets so this is very helpful. Now I need to find out if it works where I have no phone service.

This is not a ballistic calculator or even designed to be used for shooting. Its a very basic app that tells you straight line distance between two points. I have used it several times for different reason to just check ranges. How ever if you were set up someplace with a decent land mark and your target next to or near a land mark it could be used to determine the distance if it was further than you LRF worked or just to small of target to hit.
I used it in the past some places I call coyotes just checking distance from ditch to ditch or tree line to tree line etc.
I would feel really sorry for the guy that had to rely solely on this for ranging and don't think that was its intended purpose. I guess it could be done tho. (you also need to have a 3g data connection or a Strong edge connection at best)
just my .02

Just took my iPhone out to the desert in areas that are sporatic and no service. It would not work unless I had internet service. When I clicked on the app it wouldn't even go to the into page, just informed me I needed internet. Even with one bar it was a no-go.

Anybody thought of using a map and protractor, no internet or batterys needed.

Should also give slopes. You determine your elevation and that of the target, compute using a tactical pencil and a c-rat box.

So with this app if you know the distance from A to B and you know your height off the ground.. then basic algebra should get you your distance if you are looking at a relatively flat land area.. I mean you should be able to square the height and square the distance.. when added together you should get the distance from you to the target. That formula should get you closer than a swag, I think.