• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes DM optics needed

rero360

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2008
South Pasadena, CA
This past weekend was a drill weekend for me and I signed up the ARNG squad designated marksman school in AR for sometime in September. Now my unit has some rather old gear, M16s with just M68s with no chance of getting any decent optics any time soon.

I have an AR of my own so I would see it as a worthwhile investment, what type of optic do you guys recomend? something that fits that role with the ability to be both mounted on the carrying handle of an M16 or to the flat top of an M4 or my AR. I have some experience with ACOGs, and I know US Optics has some scopes that fit the bill, I would just to hear people's recomendations. thanks guys.

forgot to mention, the course of fire is from 300 to 600 yards

Re: DM optics needed

Got to play with the USO SN-4 and liked it but for that price I would go with a S&B ShortDot or the NXS compact models, you can get them with mounts from LaRue. Hope this helps.

What optic would you be issued if / when you deployed?

I'd look at the Trijicon TA-01, it is proven in a DM role and may be what you'd be given by the Army.

Last time I deployed we had a handfull of ACOGs, ones with the chevron reticle. Being in the Guard getting enough equipment (good equipment) for everyone is a crapshoot at best. We had a few guys who brought their own ACOGs as well. However we also had a number guys who purchased other types of optics, mostly that NStar shit that all broke within weeks of them getting them lol.