Does anyone want a Scout?

I can see why he beat a 1st degree charge, but from the limited info I have, it's not a good shoot, but maybe there's more to the story than what I could see in the video. Shooting someone in the back as they're walking away is never going to work out too well, unless you can reasonably articulate a fear that the dead was going back to his car to retreive a weapon, and what he said afterwards is a bit damning, but given the intensity of the situation, words come out without much thought.

There are several kids that drive too fast up and down our street. I've had great results going and talking to them like adults, and asking them nicely to please slow down in the neighborhood. I don't threaten them, and I haven't had to go talk to their parents. I treat 'em with respect, I don't try to assert dominance over them, nor make threats. It's worked for me. I've never had to escalate, and I don't yell at people as they're driving by.

I'd be willing to bet that he's certainly going to catch a conviction on a 2nd degree charge when he get's retried.

Branden

I can see why he beat a 1st degree charge, but from the limited info I have, it's not a good shoot, but maybe there's more to the story than what I could see in the video. Shooting someone in the back as they're walking away is never going to work out too well, unless you can reasonably articulate a fear that the dead was going back to his car to retreive a weapon, and what he said afterwards is a bit damning, but given the intensity of the situation, words come out without much thought.

There are several kids that drive too fast up and down our street. I've had great results going and talking to them like adults, and asking them nicely to please slow down in the neighborhood. I don't threaten them, and I haven't had to go talk to their parents. I treat 'em with respect, I don't try to assert dominance over them, nor make threats. It's worked for me. I've never had to escalate, and I don't yell at people as they're driving by.

I'd be willing to bet that he's certainly going to catch a conviction on a 2nd degree charge when he get's retried.

Branden
Yup. These crazy prosecuters try and go for thee jugular. IANAL but based on what I know, that's not 1st degree murder.
Manslaughter? 2nd degree? Yeah I need jury instructions. But I know its not premeditated AND I know its a bad shoot. Why can't we get this shit right. We got too many assholes and not enough rope and trees.

Edit <Soapbox>
I really like the ASP reviews of these videos if you get a chance to listen to their commentary about how a "gun carrying" sane sober prudent person should act.

Important lessons I've picked up:
You can always lose
You can't always win
Get right with your maker
Get right with your family.
</end soapbox>

Reactions: Short-bus
Yup. These crazy prosecuters try and go for thee jugular. IANAL but based on what I know, that's not 1st degree murder.
Manslaughter? 2nd degree? Yeah I need jury instructions. But I know its not premeditated AND I know its a bad shoot. Why can't we get this shit right. We got too many assholes and not enough rope and trees.

Edit <Soapbox>
I really like the ASP reviews of these videos if you get a chance to listen to their commentary about how a "gun carrying" sane sober prudent person should act.

Important lessons I've picked up:
You can always lose
You can't always win
Get right with your maker
Get right with your family.
</end soapbox>
Prosecutors charge high hoping defendant takes a plea on a lesser charge.

That is what the legal system would usually call aggravated murder. He yells at the fool who then has to come back, but it becomes murder when he shoots the guy in the back. The guy did not fulfill all 3 sides of the threat triangle-desire, intent, ability. He expressed the desire verbally, then the intent by walking to his truck, but he never retrieved said firearm and didn’t not have the ability yet. So when Mr Gonzalez shot him in the back he murdered him.