Does using magazine effect magnum rounds?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I've always single fed my 338 rounds since they were to long for the magazine. Now with my new rifle, my new loads fit the magazine.

My question is though, does loading 5 rounds into the magazine effect the rounds, and in turn accuracy, on big magnums like the 338?

Im guessing not, but has anyone tested to see if the recoil impulse shifts the bullet inside the case or deform the tips?

From shooting a 300 Win Mag for a few years all fed from an AI magazine, I don't think it does.

I can see where you would wonder about this given the up angle the bullet needs to take to get into the chamber all while the bolt is crushing it forward, but from extracting unfired rounds from the 300WM, I've never seen anything that was visually deformed or damaged. I think if it does change anything, its too small to tell.

In my experience it doesn't effect anything unless the recoil is pretty stiff. My 338WM hunting rifle will trash the tips of soft point bullets. It even distorts the tips of my Accubonds. I still don't see any significant changes to a HPBT except maybe seating it deeper into the case if it recoiled hard enough.

This is interesting...I've had what you're asking about happen with my .308 out of a blind magazine where the tips of bullets were flattened (as much as .3") from recoil (...not bullet setback, flattened tips, I checked). This is with 180 grain Sierra Gamekings (SBT, lead soft point, coincidentally my long-range hunting load).

I haven't seen accuracy affected with those "flattened" rounds (nor velocity, ES, etc.). Load and rifle still shooting groups in the .1s and .2s at 100 yards, easily sub-half still @ 600 yards and I imagine better if I was capable...haven't tested further yet.

In a few weeks, I'll get to test if there is any difference (tips being flattened -wise) once I start using AICS mags and Seekins DBM. Will report then. If i forget, just shoot me a line if you're curious...

I'm not going to look for it right now but I remember reading an article that experimented with deforming boat-tail bullets' tips and bases. The results of test showed that accuracy was rarely affected by deforming the tip of the bullet, whereas extreme accuracy impacts were noticed with even minor modification to the base of the bullet.

Last edited:
    I can see a 308 slightly deforming the tips. My 338WM will actually mushroom the tips of the 250gr SGK. The last one in the bottom wouldn't even hit paper @ 200yds with any regularity. Wish I'd taken a pic of it. It was astonishing how badly the tip was flattened, & a side of the mushroom impacted the feed ramp destroying the tip.