Doing it w/o overdoing it

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
I have a long action on the way (first one in a long time). I'm looking for a rifle for 800 - 1700 and possibly 2K (rarely) but is still enjoyable at 300 - 500 if I can't make the 3hr trek to the ELR range. Most of my shooting is at about 500-1000ft above sea level and usually humid conditions. So I'm not shooting at mountain level ASLs, which makes me a bit leary of caliber stabilization at these lower altitudes, hence the recommendations.

I've got the 1200 and less range covered with other calibers (.22, .223., .308, .243, .260) and I really wanted a nice longer range LA round (because why not). I'm using a Savage LA so I'll be able to swap barrels if need but it's coming as a 300WM as I have everything reloading wise from a 300WM I had a while back that I should have never let go. I'll shoot the factory pencil barrel for fun until I can decide on the right caliber to rebarrel. And if I go magnum I'll be adding a good brake to tame the recoil (just upset some shooters).

Since my last WM I've been getting more into the ballistics side of things and trying to get learned. Only thing that did was open up my eyes to so many more options.

So I've done the research and ran the JBM tables, but I know you can't trust computer data for everything. So my dilema is do I stay with a Magnum or can I get similar with a non-magnum for my intended uses (banging steel long range). I was back and forth a lot on the 300WM vs the 7MMRM. The 7mm looks great but I was worried about the bullets destabilizing through transition at my low altitudes. I know the 300WM has a better chance but with more recoil.

I've then been reading about the 280 or 280AI and 284WIN, though less powerful than the magnums, will they get me the results I'm looking for?

One big thing is that even though I reload, I want to keep to basic, easy-to-find components w/o having to do a bunch of prep-work to get a round up and running. I know the magnum brass is everywhere and easy to get. I know .280 is easy to get and Nosler makes 280AI if I want a few more grains. The 284 seems to be a bit of pain unless I want to form from 6.5-284 (which I'm trying to stay away from). I could also do the WSM/SAUM paths but they are hard to find brass for usually and not much advantage over the 7MM since I'm running a LA anyway.

So what say you on my dilemma? If I can do more with less, that's the path I'd choose to take.

Note: I know the .260 is capable to about a mile, but looking to surpass its potential at distance.

Cheers,
John

Re: Doing it w/o overdoing it

First I have never seen this so called transonic problem with bullets that were in the upper weight range for the caliber and shot through the proper twist. As the bullet slows down the Sg gets better not worse.

Pick a caliber, bullet or a range of bullet weights, determine how fast you want them to go, then look at cartridges. That will narrow your choices quickly. If you're shooting past 1200 stay with a magnum.

I have shot my 300WM out to 2100yd @ 1500'asl several times with 208's, & now 225's. I may switch out to a 338 Edge later tho for those ranges. My 1st problem is having enough energy to swing a steel target of realistic size that far out. Needs a heavy pill.

As you point out the 7RM and 300WM are easy to get components for, but they're not really that different from the 260 you already have (in terms of ballistics). A 338 RUM or 338/300 RUM (aka edge) will have much better ballistic performance than the smaller cartridges at long range. The 338 basically maximizes the performance you can get out of a long action. Check the numbers for the 300 grain berger at 2000 yards in JBM. The 338 is more expensive to feed though. There is nothing that special about the components, but you might not find them at your local shop (just order by mail). It's still quite a bit cheaper than 338 lapua for the same performance.

So if you want something significantly different that what you have already, something that will shine out past 1000, I'd suggest the 338. Use the smaller stuff for 300-500.