• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Double Shoulder Rifle Sling (like TAB's)

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    So while deer hunting and coyote hunting last fall I felt a serious need for a double shoulder rifle sling because at around 15-16lbs (gun, can, bipod, ammo) it gets a bit rough on the neck and shoulder to lug it around all day.
    I knew I could come up with a way to make a double shoulder rifle sling, but was concerned with all the "stuff" that would hang off the side of the rifle. It doesnt seem to be a combat sling by any means...but the design I came up with works great for my usage.
    Carry it a few miles, spot a critter, take it off, set up bipod, shoot. I dont do much for shooting free hand so i dont mind if the sling is basicly 2 times the size as a single shoulder sling.
    It has D rings on the front to act as a binocular clips, eliminates the need for a cross back binocular straps. molle spots on the front to hold mags pouches, kestral pouch, iTouch or whatever.

I was browsing around the Hide today and of course, It seems someone else (with quality machines to make GREAT stuff) had the same great idea. My pics are of the first design i used during coyote season. Mod 2 that I am working on now, is a bit more similar to the TAB style in that it has seperate straps instead of the single U shape and it also has 1.5" webbing instead of 1". Mine has the push button QD swivels now but should be easy to make it able to switch them out to something else.

Go check out the TAB sling for sure! Its a GREAT concept and of course, high quality.
    TAB Gear Biathlon Sling

I cant afford a $125-$175 sling so I am MORE than happy with mine, and cant wait to unveil some of the things I have been working on lately.

Here is a preview. All my stuff is done out of a 1 bedroom apt with an $80 sewing machine. Quality components are the key.

DSC02519.jpg

DSC02521.jpg

Re: Double Shoulder Rifle Sling (like TAB's)

I LOVE what you did there. Been trying to figure out how I want to pattern a similar idea out of leather myself. Very nice. If I may ask, what did you use for the shoulder straps?

Great looking rifle/scope as well, btw.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> Here's another option for you to look at if you're not handy with a sewing machine. I have a couple of these and another one on the way. These work great for just what you described. They are lined with neoprene on the shoulder straps and you can order them with quick release buckles and ammo loops also. With all of the crap we carry now, these really make it easier. I don't work for the guy and have never met him but I've gotten great service from him. First heard about the slings on Long Range Hunting.

Bob

<span style="font-size: 11pt"> </span> </span>

Looks nice.

Biathalon slings have been around since biathalon skiing, ...forever. AI has been making them for years, so dont feel like your ripping off an idea that was just invented (I get the impression your trying to tread lightly for fear of imminent doom.)

I like the sling that TAB puts out but I am not going to spend that kind of my for a sling unless it comes with a Liberal to carry it for me.

I too have thought of building a sling out of "duece gear/ 782 gear" but just have not got motivated enough.

I guess I'd better give a little more information on our biathlon slings since it's being directly referred to by C-bass 16.

the $125 to $200 price tag is for the biathlon sling that has the the shooting loop incorporated into it, which is comparing apples to grapes in this situation and also in comparing it to the Outlaw sling. There is quite a bit more work that goes into this sling than a simple biathlon sling, and the Cobra buckles, if requested, significantly add to the price of a sling due to my costs.

The sling that C-bass is making and the Outlaw sling offers is a simple carry sling, like my simple biathlon sling. There are pricing differences in my SBS due to the different prices of the available swivels. The prices vary from $65 to $80.

The CBass and Outlaw sling look to be using 1" webbing and 1" swivels, as do the AI biathlon slings like Nick refers to. I don't like the 1" webbing, I like the 1 1/2" webbing I use in my slings. I like the way 1 1/2 webbing hangs on my shoulder better than 1". I like the bigger 1 1/2 Fastex buckles. I think it makes a sturdier sling all around.

I try to overbuild every TAB GEAR product, so there are more pieces in my slings that have to be assembled which make it a more expensive sling. Does this mean that any other sling is made inferior or will come apart, probably not at all if you use good sewing techniques and good materials. I just want to know in my mind that I've made something to the best of my ability, if that costs more I'll live with that.

I have no problem showing close up photos of any TAB GEAR product if someone wants to see them.

Also, I could not care less if someone wants to make and sell slings, or anything else for that matter, here or anywhere. I'm way too busy trying to make a living than to worry about what other people are doing, unless it's a blatant copy of my hard work then I'll speak up.

I tried to put my own spin on the biathlon slings to make them better and more user friendly, I think I've done that.

I would not have made this post in this thread except there seems to be the perception that all of my biathlon slings cost over $100 which is not the case.

3324a3cd.jpg

82f3cfde.jpg

dcfe90ec.jpg

0e001913.jpg

55bc06d5.jpg

933ac189.jpg

When it is going to be on the RO website Tony?

I was fixing to say it should have already been done until I remembered Lisa's waiting on me to send her the descriptions so she can send it on the the web guy. Yet another thing I've got to find time to do.

I'll have to stop slacking off and get that taken care of asap.

Thank you for the reminder.

i have seen cbass's set up, and saw it perform in the field while predator, deer and antelope hunting works flawless and quick and quiet to take off and get into shooting postition.

WOW FELLAS...sorry, i made this thread a while back and it sat dormant for a week or two and I forgot about it.

I will get some new pictures up this weekend. The one in the pic was a first prototype that i threw together on a weekend about 2 months ago.

The one skinney saw me use predator hunting is a much improved version with padded ergonomic straps, mollie webbing on the front, 1.5" webbing over all, and removable replaceable sling swivels. It was all done on a cheap ass sewing machine so while it functions flawless, the stitch aesthetics are less than pretty.

I have recently received my first heavy duty sewing machine that will allow me to pound through the heavy multi layered material and am looking forward to getting some new ones done.

Like I said. I'm also using the 1.5" webbing, heavy duty side release buckes and triglides. (although the first pictures dont show that) more pics coming soon.

My mistake Tburkes...didnt mean to make it sound like EVERYTHING you made was too spendy. That's completely my fault.

looks great Tburkes. Any plans on using Multicam webbing to match the MC cordura ? Eagle and blue Force Gear are offering it now. thanks.

I have to have one. Looks to be a great rifle carry system. I am a TAB GEAR sling slut. Since my first I am hooked.

It just so happens that two rolls of MultiCam webbing showed up at the shop yesterday, 1" and 1 1/2". So...I can now make a full MultiCam biathlon sling. I have to figure out what the increased cost will be, cause that stuff is expensive.

Thanks mclevela, I appreciate your business.