• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

DPMS AR-15 break-in?

Re: DPMS AR-15 break-in?

I feel that you should do the break in. It doesn't take that much effort to do it right. Anyway if it doesn't shoot the way you want you won't dought yourself for not doing it.
When I bought my super sass I did just as the owners manual said. As per the manual it was only about 35 rounds.

I shot 200 rounds through mine before I even touched in the inside of the barrel. THen all it got was some wipeout accelerator, and then the foam, 45 mins, and 5 patches.

Lube'er up and shoot, clean later.

I love the ole break in question.
Maybe someone will post the Youtube video of the guy that throws down his rifle a few times to break it in then shoots his groups.
In My opinion, this whole break in Thing, was started by the Manufacturers, it gives them some wiggle room when some Bozo shoots his new rifle and it shoots like shit.
In reality the break in procedure is for the shooter, and allow him some trigger time to get accustomed to the rifle.
I have welded for a living and now sell welding supplies to many different Manufacturers. Unless you get the metal past the 1200 or so degree range, you are not gonna change the structure of the steel.
Yes, shooting more bullets down the tube will help knock down the tooling marks in the barrel and yes that might increase accuracy.
Just another shooters Opinion.
SScott

I don't think a break in is useful, however if the manufacturer recommends it, I will follow instructions just to be on the safe side.

With a chrome bore, Wasp is correct, just shoot it. Over time, it will change a little, tiny bit, but no where near what an unlined bore will. The chrome is in the bore to make it hard, durable, and much more wear resistant. Putting 50 rounds down a chrome bore during a typical break in won't do much at all to it.

+ 1 on the just shoot it regiment. No one has been able to prove to me that a break-in is really required to gain the best from the rifle. I used to spend a lot of time on the break-in procedures and I couldn't ever tell the difference so now I just shoot it and don't worry about it.