• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

DPMS Recon Gen II

I have had a couple DPMS G2s. I bought them both with the intention of parting them out and rebuilding them. If you get 1-1.5MOA out of the stock barrel I would be surprised and you must of got a lucky one. F4 Defense are nice, but pricey. Rebuilding the G2 with nicer components will give you just as nice a rifle and probably even cheaper. Though you can only get the Proof Carbon G2 barrels with the F4 rifles. F4 wont sell them separately and Proof wont even admit they make them for F4. But Craddock Precision will spin you up a barrel with either a Criterion or Bartlein blank. Then there is always the new Remington R10.

This is mine. This is how it shoots consistently. 175 SMKs
Not everyone of my rifles needs to be $4,000+
Zero problems going from 0-600 yards with the quickness.

18FC6B3D-65F8-4DBD-8F48-AE8C429B586E.jpeg
DA4B68DC-313C-4ABE-BD69-C6407D96F14D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: isofahunter
I have a Gen II Hunter that will shoot .5 MOA with FGMM as long as the barrel is cool, which is typically < 10 shots. Then it strings badly when it starts getting hot.

On the flip side, we have 2 Gen II SASS's in use at my agency and the best you can expect from either of them is 1.5-2 MOA with any ammunition we have tried.

R10 specs say it is 8.8 lbs. Apparently it has a fairly heavy contour 16” barrel???

Top barrel is G2 Recon. Bottom barrel is R10. It’s a heavier profile up to the gas block and is rifle length gas.

My G2 Recon will shoot 1” 3-shot groups with Hornady and FGMM 168gr. You’re not going to win any F-class matches with it, but it’s accurate enough for most anything short of 600+ yard head shots.

Edited to add: DPMS and Bushmaster have both been killed off by Remington. Remington is still going to make the R10 and rumor has it they may also start making G2’s. But the DPMS brand is gone.

Attachments

• 3FB545D6-CC2E-4127-908E-543EB7F316AC.jpeg
    3FB545D6-CC2E-4127-908E-543EB7F316AC.jpeg
    960.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Reactions: Lmatt