DPMS SASS actually worked today!!

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
Bought a SASS 3 years ago, after the (stupid/bogus) DPMS break-in, it was a 2moa gun with any ammo I tried, including FGMM168, FGMM175, Hornady 168 match, and many of my handloads.

I tried 3 or 4 different scope and mount arrangements, always the same... the occasional good ~1moa group with only 3 shots, but by the time you fired a 10 shot group, it would ALWAYS open up to 2moa+.

I was disgusted and disgruntled. I put the rifle away for a year. When I tried again, same thing.

This spring I sent it back. They returned it to me saying it was GREAT AS-IS. I put it away, still disgusted.

I bought a new unimount for it to try it one last time. I bought a box of FGMM168 and 175 for todays outing. Mounted up my "mule" scope - an old NF 3.5-15x50 with NP1RR. Boresighted, took a shot at 100, adjusted, and fired a solid 1moa 19-shot group. A SOLID 1moa including fliers.

So then I dialed up 1.5moa, and fired a 20 round group of the 175 ammo at 200 yards... another SOLID 1moa group!

So, either DPMS actually messed with the rifle and tuned it up, or the Snipers Hide online training tutorial about driving gas guns made a HUGE FRICKIN DIFFERENCE. Either way, it was the first time I've ever come home happy with the rifle.

Re: DPMS SASS actually worked today!!

Mine likes the BH 175 grain factory loads, It is easy a 1moa gun and a decent 1st semi auto .308. If I have the opportunity though I would sell or trade to an LMT MWS

driving gassers can and will help, I don't doubt that DPMS may have tinkered with your gun a bit. I hold them at high regard as making "all right guns" but there is something I don't really like about them and I've never been able to put my finer on it.

Glad you got it shoosting right, I'm sure it feels good to not have that much cash sitting in a safe pissing you off.

C_K

I returned a DPMS rifle that had a short throat that caused horrible problems. My gunsmith even was at the range to witness what was going on. I returned the rifle to DPMS, and they said they changed out a magazine, but denied doing anything else.

Funny thing is, all the excessive pressure signs, failure to extract, excessive primer runout and so on were all gone...again witnessed by the same gunsmith. He said it was obvious that they ran a correct throat reamer in to correct my short throat.

The rifle shoots fine now, but I distrust any company that lies about quality control issues. I would have trusted them more if they simply said "woops, one got past quality control...our bad", and fixed it. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

I suspect the something similar happened with your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I returned a DPMS rifle that had a short throat that caused horrible problems. My gunsmith even was at the range to witness what was going on. I returned the rifle to DPMS, and they said they changed out a magazine, but denied doing anything else.

Funny thing is, all the excessive pressure signs, failure to extract, excessive primer runout and so on were all gone...again witnessed by the same gunsmith. He said it was obvious that they ran a correct throat reamer in to correct my short throat.

The rifle shoots fine now, but I distrust any company that lies about quality control issues. I would have trusted them more if they simply said "woops, one got past quality control...our bad", and fixed it. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

I suspect the something similar happened with your rifle.</div></div>

Very interesting. I looked mine over when I got it back and couldn't see any changes ...not to say there weren't any. They definitely did NOT put a new barrel on it though.

I agree, pretty shady to nefariously fix things and return it as a "no trouble found".

DPMS got their start buying rejected military parts (parts can be rejected for reasons that do not make them bad parts)
They were terrible at chambering rifles.
I think it was a mix of poor reamers, and incompetence.
They released many rifles that would stick cases in the chamber, and show pressure signs on loads that should be fine.
I sent one back twice, they never fixed anything but would write about all these trivial (made-up) things they did to placate me.
I consigned that rifle and some poor bastard will have to fix it.
I let them know that others will curse them until it's fixed as the rifle isn't going anywhere, it'll just change hands.

How hard is it too run a reamer in an out of spec chamber?
I don't think they even knew to do that, or read my letter that suggested it.

They sold poorly chambered rifles to police depts as well so I really think too many of their employees were just really bad at their jobs.

When you think about it, the only thing they were really doing in their rifle factory was assembling parts that others made, with a barrel blank they processed.
They seriously should have vended out that work as well.

funny how different guns do different things, I worked at a place where we had 20 DPMS LR .308s set up as M110s and in the classes we taught the only issues we ever had were with the extractors breaking after about 1000 rounds. The guns were all easily 1moa guns with 175 grain Black Hills. I was impressed with the DPMS as the scores the guys shot with them were always on par with the scores they shot with the M24's in the first part of the class.
I purchased a SASS version and have been happy with it for a MOA Factory gas gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS got their start buying rejected military parts (parts can be rejected for reasons that do not make them bad parts)
They were terrible at chambering rifles.
I think it was a mix of poor reamers, and incompetence.
They released many rifles that would stick cases in the chamber, and show pressure signs on loads that should be fine.
I sent one back twice, they never fixed anything but would write about all these trivial (made-up) things they did to placate me.
I consigned that rifle and some poor bastard will have to fix it.
I let them know that others will curse them until it's fixed as the rifle isn't going anywhere, it'll just change hands.

How hard is it too run a reamer in an out of spec chamber?
I don't think they even knew to do that, or read my letter that suggested it.

They sold poorly chambered rifles to police depts as well so I really think too many of their employees were just really bad at their jobs.

When you think about it, the only thing they were really doing in their rifle factory was assembling parts that others made, with a barrel blank they processed.
They seriously should have vended out that work as well.

</div></div> i heard from others worst in international sells part about other fubars of dpms ...now water is under the bridge maybe companies can learn put crap out ,you will dead on sells ,maybe ?? black list the crap ''makers'' best way i think ....

I have owened and due own a few different rifles built by DPMS, all of them have been excellent shooters, I think DPMS has tried hard to clean up their early reputation. Their rifles are certainly much better now.

mike

Interesting. I just ran my DPMS SASS at R/O PR 1&2 6 days with 6-700 rounds not a single malfunction. Other rifles were more accurate sure but I was able to put 4 in a row at a grand on a 20" circle (when the wind was down). An Armalite SASS as well as LWRC REPR both were exchanged for bolt guns within the first two days due to accuracy issues. The only other gasser that ran was Doc's OBR 18".

edit: 20"

My SASS has proven to be a 3/4 gun, some have got down to 1/2 but @ 3/4's I'm extremely happy with it. I really never shot it until I ran some 175's and saw a lot of potential. Then I really started focusing on it and was extremely impressed.

it also outlasted something else doc....
IMG_0339.jpg

ooooo....

"it was obvious that they ran a correct throat reamer in to correct my short throat"

same on my .260 upper, said they polished the chamber - HA

It was fixed free and am very happy with it - But don't blow smoke up my butt