• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

dressing up a 40x

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
Guys I just picked up the sweetest looking 40x in 22lr. It looks new. I coould not belive it. Ill post pics. I wanted to know what kinda of elevation to get in a base for 22lr. As i hear out to 200 is like shooting a .308 at 1000. Which would mean, i would need some elevation machined into the base

Was also considering buying a brick or wolf match to shoot? I hav read some goods things on it, but being brand new to .22lr shooting. i dont really know whats good or not. The wolf seems cheap and as good as the FGM which by .308 standard would be great.

I plan on putting it in a AICS and pray that the mag mod is on its way. The barrel is the long heavy profile (I cant belive how heavy this .22lr is) Whats hav others done with a 40x .22lr project. i cant find any posts on it.

thanks in advance for any PMs.

Re: dressing up a 40x

I cut down my 40-XB 22LR down to 20" and had a lot of fun shooting out to 200 with Remington subsonics. I was holding around 25MOA (if I recall correctly) from the 100-yard zero I'd established, but for whatever reason I didn't crank the elevation dial down for a new zero.

I think a 20MOA base and a good scope would make it out all the way to 200 no problem.

Here is my 40X on the right(.308 on the left):
cimg4711mn8.jpg

Mine has been bedded into a McMillan A5
Barrel cut to 20" & threaded for my SAS suppressor
Williams bottom metal
Seekins 20MOA base
Seekins rings
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NP-R2
Harris bipod with KMW PodLoc
TIS sling

I was getting consistent hits on a 10" steel plate at 300yds with it before I had the barrel cut. Haven't had a chance to stretch it's legs since the cut. Mine prefers Wolf Match Target above anything else I've tried including several types of Eley.

Great little rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my 40X on the right(.308 on the left):
cimg4711mn8.jpg

Mine has been bedded into a McMillan A5
Barrel cut to 20" & threaded for my SAS suppressor
Williams bottom metal
Seekins 20MOA base
Seekins rings
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NP-R2
Harris bipod with KMW PodLoc
TIS sling

I was getting consistent hits on a 10" steel plate at 300yds with it before I had the barrel cut. Haven't had a chance to stretch it's legs since the cut. Mine prefers Wolf Match Target above anything else I've tried including several types of Eley.

Great little rifles!

</div></div>

thats so sweet, from that angle you cant tell which is which, except for one has a mag.

Phylo,

I just bought a McMillan Winchester Marksman from a Hide member. I am going to have to remove some bedding material and skim it, but I think it will be one nice plinker when all is done. I am anxious to see what I can manage at 200yds.

OD green Krylon will be the color of choice... heck, it goes with everything.

You guys will love them. I have more fun with that 40X than I do with my other rifles. It certainly gets a lot more attention when I have it at the range also. I undoubtedly went a little overboard with mine but I don't regret it. It's a really fun little rifle.

Buy a box of several different brands of match ammo from Champions Choice. Find out which your 40X likes and then go back to them for more out of the same lot. Just let them know what you're planning to do and they'll accomodat4e you.