• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Drilling and Tapping Stocks

Brandon05_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Charleston, WV
Today I was drilling and tapping into the aluminum skeleton on my B&C A5 stock on the flat area between the recoil pad and grip. Me being the genius I sometimes am, didn't notice that the stock wasn't perfectly vertical when I drilled it. I tapped the hole for the bolt I'm going to use. (I'm installing a rail to mount an Accu-shot monopod) When I went to tighten the bolt, I noticed it was off center. I pulled the bolt and noticed that the threads were half in aluminum and half in fiberglass. The rail is also being attached with the sling stud as the other fastener. My question is this. Would it be wise to fill that hole with devcon and start over? Or will be it strong enough to hold? Keep in mind that this fastener will not have any load applied trying to pull the fastener from the stock. The sling stud is where the sling will be attached and hold the rail solid. The 'crooked' fastener only serves to keep the rail from moving side to side. What do you guys think?

Re: Drilling and Tapping Stocks

If it is going to have any kind of stress pulling directly out on it i would re-do it and maybe change the location a bit so the new hole isn't only based in devcon. BUT if all its doing is preventing a side to side motion i dont see how it would be a problem as long as the threads are good. It might look a little funny but if your good with it and it works, go with it
wink.gif
just my two cents for what its worth. Good Luck!

Personally stuff like that drives me crazy. Although, as long as it is tight and basically the monopod is a rear rest, not a rail/ring/scope/action issue that will effect your accuracy, it boils down to,if you can live with it or not. Myself, I would fix it, then "measure twice and cut once", from now on. My opinion...

There isn't going to be any kind of pulling stress only lateral and very minor at that. I have a button head machine screw holding in that hole, and you honestly can't even tell that is has some cant...it just looks normal. I don't think it's going to matter, but it is driving me crazy! I know it's not perfect and the best of my ability. It's not going to affect accuracy at all. The threads are good and solid. I plan on using blue loctite during the final install. I'm really thinking about fixing it, but this time use a mill/drill press instead of a vise and hand drill.