• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dumb question about muzzle up vs muzzle down at matches

CollarChoke

Neck Tension Enthusiast
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
So here's a dumb question: I use the OBI system to carry my rifles around for any prolonged period of time. Usually I just put the QD post at the front end of the rifle and lug the rifle around around muzzle pointing up.

I just got into a Manners PRS-TCS for a dedicated match setup but it doesn't have a flush cup on the front. I could just drill and tap it for a grovtech cup and epoxy that in, but it does have a flush cup on the butt end already. It's perfectly comfortable to carry the rifle from the stock on the OBI post as well with the muzzle pointing down instead.

Is muzzle down carry going to be an issue at any of the matches or ranges y'all know about or should it be fine moving between stages with a muzzle down carry and chamber flag in place?

Muzzle down is acceptable at all the places I shoot, provided you manage several issues:
- Don't flag feet or legs of yourself or anyone else; it happens easier than you might think, and it's my main dislike of the strollers that don't point the muzzle low enough
- The bolt needs to stay back; I think the best way to do this visually is use a mag block with the elastic cord that pulls the bolt to the stop. The bolt isn't actually further back, but it lets other shooters near you easily see that there's a safety device managing the bolt

Reactions: CollarChoke
Muzzle down is acceptable at all the places I shoot, provided you manage several issues:
- Don't flag feet or legs of yourself or anyone else; it happens easier than you might think, and it's my main dislike of the strollers that don't point the muzzle low enough
- The bolt needs to stay back; I think the best way to do this visually is use a mag block with the elastic cord that pulls the bolt to the stop. The bolt isn't actually further back, but it lets other shooters near you easily see that there's a safety device managing the bolt
Got it thanks. Yeah I use one of these deals:

chamber-block.jpg

Reactions: KnowNothing256
The River City works very good. I have one for my centerfire and rimfire.

Yeah a lot of the PRS want a EFI/Dedicated chamber flag right now. Mag blocks not accetable. Of course with PRS interpretation of rules may vary. Just a heads up. (and if you don't shoot PRS, ignore this message)

(Only swept 5-10 times last match....sigh)

Last edited: