Duracoat or Cerakote?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I'd like to have my barrel done in either a flat or semi gloss finish. I know that both are made to be extremely durable, but still, which one will most likely scratch or chip easier? Rattle can just isn't doing the job for me, as I like a mint-looking rifle.

Re: Duracoat or Cerakote?

I've got plans to try Cerakote. Lowlight's video review sold it for me. I don't have any experience with either however. From what I read in the research I did they're about neck and neck, each has their followers. You know how that goes.

Both have a tough reputation. I don't see how you can beat the ceramic though. My GAP rifle is Cerakoted, but it is too new to give a report. Nothing has happened to it yet.

My bolt is cerakoted. It has held up very well, and I am very satisfied with it. However, the barrel is obviously going to have a lot more to do with appearance, where as I cerakoted the bolt more for protection. So I guess I'm also asking for opinions on which one is better for appearance too.

I use both cerakote and dura coat regularly.
Here is what i found for me.
First i havent tried the air dry in either. But the dura coat baked seems to take a little longer to cure, but if you let it sit for a few days it hardens up nice. cerakote once you get it fully baked it is ready to go as soon as it cools. I havent Tested to see which wears faster, but i prefer cerakote for the way you can use it right after baking.

its a marlin 17hmr for christ sake, no need to spend $200 to get it coated. Get yourself some Alluma Hyde II, take your time prepping it, and go to town with it. Iv'e done quite a few barreled actions and stock with it and it holds up well, and a can is only $15

I haven't used duracoat, so I can't speak on that, but I can say I'm happy with the toughness of the cerakote on my AR, 10/22, and bolt knob of my 700.
From what I've seen, it appears duracoat is a little more glossy too. If that matters.

I have both on various guns...the Cerakote is tougher but I would be happy with either. I agree on the Alumahyde II. I end up spraying it over Duracoat or Cerakote anyway when I camo.

I had a buddy of mine duracoat my CZ452. I wanted a matte black. He suggested Duracoat's Tactical Black as it was flatter then their Matte. I'm extremely pleased with how it came out. Like a-hull said, my buddy (whose been doing it for a while) told me it's good to let them sit a day or two after drying. It has picked up a nick or two but none have gone all the way through the coating. He did tell me that touch up work is no problem and I'm pretty lucky in that my turn around time with him is a day or two.

I had sent this particular rifle to Hooper to be cut, crowned, and threaded. Hooper makes his thread protectors out of stainless steel. My friend who did the coating said that getting the ss rough enough might be a problem. He said it could sometimes be tricky along the sharp edge of a small piece. He didn't want to mess up the seam between the thread protector and barrel.

I have a SA 1911 Cerakoted and I love it. The safety, slide stop, and a few other small parts have holster wear but I don't think that those parts were baked to fully cure. As far as Duracoat goes I love it. I have done a few pieces with DC. Both need to be sprayed if you're planning on doing it yourself. The prep is similiar but I didn't sandblast for my DC jobs. Which is why I went that way, and that I didn't need to bake to cure the DC.