Eagle vs Armalite AR-10

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I was recently approached by a gentleman looking to trade my a GAP AR-10 with an Eagle lower. I am not familiar with Eagle, except that it is a subdivision of Armalite. Where does it fit in? Is it their "bargain" line, or just simply a different line?

Fill me in please.

-Bob

Re: Eagle vs Armalite AR-10

At one time ArmaLite would not sell ArmaLite rollmarked lowers, just the Eagle ones. If you wanted to build one yourself you had to get an EA lower. They did this so that they wouldn't have to warranty home builds. ArmaLite does sell stripped lowers marked "ArmaLite AR10" now so if they are still making Eagle lowers I don't know why because they are fucntionally identical.

I have an older GAP AR10

It has an eagle lower, and all work was done at GAP

I think a few years ago all George's AR10 had eagle lowers where as now he uses other brands

you can go to www.gaprecision.net and on the AR10 it says

Choice of Eagle/Armalite or DPMS AR-10A3 upper and lower receiver

hope this helps

As stated above, eagle branded lowers were th eonly ones armalite sold at one point. Eagle Arms also made complete rifles in the late 90's early 2000's as well as the lower priced option in the Armalite line up. The major diffrence was the fact they did not offer many of the features and upgrades you could on the armalite. The fit and finish was noticably diffrent as well but all the guns I ever came across ran and shot well.

This Eagle Arms is not to be confused with the Coal city Eagle Arms that did not offer an AR10 varient.

Here's the difference straight from Armalite...

ANSWER: There are normally very few differences. ArmaLite rifles are the top of the company’s line. They tend to be more up to date and include higher quality parts such as chrome lined barrels. They are produced from selected forging. However, internally, they use exactly the same parts. Eagle Arms rifles are intended to compete with lower priced brands. They are extremely high quality rifles in their own right. ArmaLite used to use only “ArmaLite” lower receivers for actual factory built guns and sold “Eagle Arms” as stripped lower and upper receivers. This was to differentiate between the two different warranties. ArmaLite has a lifetime warranty and EA has a one year only warranty. ArmaLite now offers “ArmaLite” stripped lowers for sale.

This was obtained from the Armalite website FAQ located HERE

Amalite keeps a nice record of serial numbers too. You can call and they will tell you the day that rifle or lower was made.

Eagle arms was Mark Westrom's company before he bought the Armalite name. It is more of a "branding" issue than anything else. I have one of each and cannot tell any difference. I just bought one before they sold the AR10 lowers without a complete rifle.