• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Eberlestock Phantom or Gunslinger II?

TacBlade

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
Newcastle, Wyoming
I have the GS II, but the Phantom seems to have more versatility than the GS II? Anyone out there tried both? With the Phantom, you can completely remove the rifle scabbard and carry it by itself or you can carry the pack by itself. Also the Phantom seems to have a little more room in the pack. I have the Halftrack, which is just like the pack on the Phantom.

Re: Eberlestock Phantom or Gunslinger II?

One thing to consider with the Phantom once you removed the scabbard the pack has no padding left. I don't speak from experience just by watching Glen's video. Have you consider the G1 Little Brother, looks like has much better back support. Combine with A4SS and a waist belt? Just my 2C.

I like my Gunslinger II, I wish I could comment on the Phantom. The Gunslinger II is much improved over the Gunslinger I got from the fire sale that they had a while back.

+1 on the gunslinger 2. I have it and can get everything I need into it very easily. The large compartment works great for a scoped rifle. It will take my ar10 no problem, and its a fairly bulky weapon. I looked at the phantom as well... It looks very nice but I haven't used it. Talk to Ceylon; he was very helpful when I bought mine.

I like the Phantom over the Gunslinger II. I've only carried soft items with the gun scabbard removed (no radios, heavy equipment, etc..) but I really like the ability to get what I need from the bottom of the pack without unloading. I have always been an ALICE fan but that was my one complaint - digging to the bottom.

The Gunslinger is great but I like the versatility of the Phantom - To me, it's worth the extra $$$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Phantom over the Gunslinger II. I've only carried soft items with the gun scabbard removed (no radios, heavy equipment, etc..) but I really like the ability to get what I need from the bottom of the pack without unloading. I have always been an ALICE fan but that was my one complaint - digging to the bottom.

The Gunslinger is great but I like the versatility of the Phantom - To me, it's worth the extra $$$. </div></div>

How is the Phantom, carrying just the pack without much padding on the back? That is my only concern, but it might let the belt come around to the front a little more for me. I have a 38" waist, but the belt with the thick low back pad makes it a little short for my liking. With the Gunslinger II, you can now zip the whole front down to the bottom and get your items without unpacking. The Gunslinger I was a top loader though, I think.

Anybody tried the Operator G4? I'm looking to purchase one for my M14 EBR, I have to carry radios, water, extra ammo, a dope book, and some seasonal gear in afghanistan. How well are these bags made? do they seem like they can go through hell and back?

I bought the G4 operator last year. It is easily the most well made pack I have ever owned. It is very well thought out and designed. I was really amazed at the attention to detail. It will have more than enough room for you. It has compression straps, to make it smaller should you need to. It really is an amazing pack.

If I were to buy another pack, I would get the Gunslinger II. It is a little smaller than the G3. Since I already have the G4, I don't need all the room the G3 has. The Gunslinger II looks like it would be a great everyday pack. While the G4 is capable of moving everything including the kitchen sink.

I have the gs2 and use it as my range bag. It is definitely bad ass and carrys all my gear with room to spare.

The only thing I noticed that irks me slightly is when the pack is full, it can be difficult to put your rifle in the scabbard. But with some practice it gets easier.

Edit: as far as durability goes. This may be the most heavy duty bag I've ever owned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How is the Phantom, carrying just the pack without much padding on the back? That is my only concern, but it might let the belt come around to the front a little more for me. I have a 38" waist, but the belt with the thick low back pad makes it a little short for my liking. With the Gunslinger II, you can now zip the whole front down to the bottom and get your items without unpacking. The Gunslinger I was a top loader though, I think. </div></div>

I guess we had Gunslinger I's at work - they had a side opening but not like the Phantom. With the just the pack, to me it's fine, but again I haven't carried heavy items with the pack only.

I just bought a "halftrack" which as mentioned is the pack portion of the G3, I added a side scabbard, so I will see how that works out. I still would have preferred a GSII, but I got a rockin deal on the halftrack. Eberlestock makes the best packs I have ever come across, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

The G3 Phantom lives up to the hype as one of the most versatile, well designed packs in Eberlestock's lineup. However, it doesn't carry very well if you're wanting to separate the scabbard & run the pack in "solo" mode. There is no padding or support where the pack meets the user's back, making it somewhat uncomfortable with anything larger than a medium sized load.

One thing to also consider when comparing the G3 Phantom and Gunslinger II is the GS II is both a top load and front load pack, while the G3 is a front load only. This gives you the ability to access gear located in the top section of the GS II without having to unzip the top of the pack. Not a big deal to most users but something to keep in mind...

Obviously, there are a LOT of differing features to discuss that come into play depending on your needs, preferences & applications. I'd be happy to help if you want to ask questions, etc.

Best of luck to you!
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com
(901)334-6808

I have the Phantom, bought it from Ceylon thanks to all the recommendations from The Hide. It's a thing of pure beauty and easy to wear. It holds gear well. I couldn't be happier with it. On a side note, thanks to Ceylon for the great customer service to go along with a great product.