ED-AR 1-8x: LPVO with parallax

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

Discovery Optics has quietly been making high featured optics in the price tier usually considered "budget". Discovery sent me a pre-release sample of their new ED-AR 1-8x24SFIR FFP LPVO. This is part of their ED line of optics, this utilize Japanese ED glass. This LPVO is an evolution on 1-6x24 ED-AR, adding illumination and a side-focus parallax adjustment knob. This feature is very rare in LPVOs. Moreover, this scope is able to focus from infinity to 5 yards.

The overall glass quality was bright, clear and sharp. While not quite the same league as the Vortex Razor HD it come much closer than most LPVOs under $500. At launch this scope is selling for a street price of $200 on Amazon and the Discovery Optics website which makes this optic cheaper than Swampfox, Primary Arms and many other budget optics! The retail version does not include rings or a mount.

Like other FFP's, the ED-AR also suffers from a thin reticle at 1x. Unfortunately the ED-AR's illuminator is typical of most LPVO's, not quite daylight bright, but useful in low light or CQB. I would suggest Discovery offer this optic with a much thicker 1x reticle configuration similar to the Sig TANGO MSR.

Over multiple range visits, the scope held zero. It has a lifetime warranty. With their new service office in California customer service shouldn't be a problem. If they can keep this unit at this price point the ED-AR has the potential to change the LPVO landscape.

The 10% discount code: MoondogED18

Amazon: https://amzn.to/4g3PMKg

Discovery Optics: https://discoveryopt.com/DISCOVERYOP...cs-Scopes.html

SPECS

Magnification: 1-8x

Objective Lens: 24mm

Reticle Plane: First (FFP)

Tube: 34mm

Length: 11.4 in/290mm

Weight: 24.2 oz/687 g

Click Value: 0.1 MRAD

Elevation Adj: 38 MRAD

Windage Adj: 22 MRAD

Parallax: 5yrds–Infinity

Eye Relief: 4 in

FOV @ 100 yd 1x: @ 133.6 ft

FOV @ 100 yd 8x: 15.7 ft

Exit Pupil 1x: 15.6 mm / 8x: 3.0 mm

#lpvo #tactical #DealHunters

Last edited:
Just watched your review. I'll be buying one because of the feature set.
Thanks for the upvote!

There was an audio glitch on my original upload. I've just uploaded a fixed version of the audio. I just hope the Overlords at YT approve this one as comporting with their capricious "Ad Friendly Guidelines"

Last edited:
Reactions: JS8588
So, first impressions.
@TheMoondog feel free to check me here if I'm off base.

Compare it to my Arken EP8, the glass on the Arken is noticeably better, but the glass on this is...surprisingly good for under $200. Definitely better than say, a Strike Eagle (which I've looked through, but do not own).

The eyebox on this at all power ranges is better than the Arken. Not quite as good as my Optika6 1-6.

The turrets are...fine. Better than my Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10x42 (God, the turrets on that suck), not as good as my Bushnell Forge 3-24x56.

The illumination is daylight visible, but not daylight bright. This may be somewhat problematic with the reticle at 1x, but I'd be fine leaving it on 3x and cranking it up as necessary.

If you have something that needs glass and you've got $200 laying around, buy the thing. I'm really digging it.