• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Effect of Paint on Accuracy (EPA)

Tactical_Tom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
PA, Bradford
I am curious about what if any effect varies spray on coating like Cerakote or Duracoat will have on accuracy if they are sprayed down the barrel or on the bolt. If you had a rifle which consistently shot .3 MOA but had a stainless steal barrel would you coat it?

Re: Effect of Paint on Accuracy (EPA)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious about what if any effect varies spray on coating like Cerakote or Duracoat will have on accuracy if they are sprayed down the barrel or on the bolt. If you had a rifle which consistently shot .3 MOA but had a stainless steal barrel would you coat it? </div></div>

I can't say this 100 % certainty but I'm guessing that it might not be a great idea to "spray it down the barrel". Perhaps on the ouside of the barrel yes :)

I havent found any change in accuracy between the same rifle

Bare Stainless.....

AI223.jpg

Quick Krylon Job.....

223AIJAN.jpg

Or Final Cerakote....

26.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zipollini</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious about what if any effect varies spray on coating like Cerakote or Duracoat will have on accuracy if they are sprayed down the barrel or on the bolt. If you had a rifle which consistently shot .3 MOA but had a stainless steal barrel would you coat it? </div></div>

I can't say this 100 % certainty but I'm guessing that it might not be a great idea to "spray it down the barrel". Perhaps on the ouside of the barrel yes :) </div></div>

How do you know? Ever painted the inside <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> the outside of the barrel? Maybe it improves accuracy. Shit, I'm gonna go Krylon the inside of my GAP 260 right now. I'm so pissed at seeing all these dudes commenting on things they've never done or tested for themselves.

Geezuz, keep it to personal knowledge, please.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zipollini</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious about what if any effect varies spray on coating like Cerakote or Duracoat will have on accuracy if they are sprayed down the barrel or on the bolt. If you had a rifle which consistently shot .3 MOA but had a stainless steal barrel would you coat it? </div></div>

I can't say this 100 % certainty but I'm guessing that it might not be a great idea to "spray it down the barrel". Perhaps on the ouside of the barrel yes :) </div></div>

How do you know? Ever painted the inside <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> the outside of the barrel? Maybe it improves accuracy. Shit, I'm gonna go Krylon the inside of my GAP 260 right now. I'm so pissed at seeing all these dudes commenting on things they've never done or tested for themselves.

Geezuz, keep it to personal knowledge, please.
smile.gif
</div></div>

OK OK - I'm pouring the Sherwin Williams down the barrel of my DTA SRS right now. I'll let ya know how it shoots after I let it dry. Or do ya think it would be OK to shoot it wet ? :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no joke a guy at my range was wearing a military style helmet </div></div>

I believe it. I have seen full chest rigs with knee and elbow protection shooting off a BENCH. The only thing he was missing was the camo face paint.

Ok the ear plug idea kind of takes care of not getting paint down the barrel. What about painting the bolt, does the paint wear of as the bolt is actuated? Does painting the side of the bolt or the bolt face have any effect? How quickly does the paint wear of the crown as the rifle is shot?

While I was in Afghanistan me and my mate spray painted both our M24s and our M107 and didn't see any POI shift or noticeable accuracy change. Granted the M107 is only a 3 MOA rifle, but we were getting close to .5 out of our M24s and we were punching paper on a daily basis between mission and didn't notice any difference. Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish i had a pool to take pictures of my guns. </div></div>

The back drop of the picture has no affect with the accuracy of a rifle, just the paint on the bolt.
grin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

TRG2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish i had a pool to take pictures of my guns. </div></div>

The back drop of the picture has no affect with the accuracy of a rifle, just the paint on the bolt.
grin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

TRG2.jpg
</div></div>
Great job on the lighting!! That pic gave me some lighting ideas for my pool area.
Oh yeah, nice looking stick, too!

Paint in the barrel will quickly be removed by extremely fast, high temperature copper. Your bolt is fine, just don't paint the lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paint in the barrel will quickly be removed by extremely fast, high temperature copper. Your bolt is fine, just don't paint the lugs.

41 </div></div>

I would mask off the bolt face and lugs if I was going to paint the bolt, but even paint on the lugs will wear off quickly with use.

The one area I would watch though is to avoid any heavy overspray to the trigger assembly.

How well does the krylon hold on the barrel? That shit gets hot. I didn't think krylon would be a good idea on barrel

Make sue you get plenty in the chamber. I'd use a brush.
Headspace is over rated and enough paint will fill those pesky land and groove thingies in the barrel. I mean, what's that all about, anyway? Fluting the INSIDE of a barrel? Is that really necessary?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sue you get plenty in the chamber. I'd use a brush.
Headspace is over rated and enough paint will fill those pesky land and groove thingies in the barrel. I mean, what's that all about, anyway? Fluting the INSIDE of a barrel? Is that really necessary? </div></div>

true that... we did without them for years during revolution war and after
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zipollini</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK OK - I'm pouring the Sherwin Williams down the barrel of my DTA SRS right now. I'll let ya know how it shoots after I let it dry. Or do ya think it would be OK to shoot it wet ? :) </div></div>

Shooting wet doesn't improve accuracy (over letting it dry), but it does cut down on muzzel blast. I shoot all my rifles wet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish i had a pool to take pictures of my guns. </div></div>

grin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

TRG2.jpg
</div></div>

wow thats really nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sue you get plenty in the chamber. I'd use a brush.
Headspace is over rated and enough paint will fill those pesky land and groove thingies in the barrel. I mean, what's that all about, anyway? Fluting the INSIDE of a barrel? Is that really necessary? </div></div>

Lmao. I just spray paint mine.