Eliminating Muzzle Rise

tlg308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
United States
Im going to be getting a break on my build and want the best one that eliminates muzzle rise. The build is a 700 action based 308 so recoil isn't the issue I just don't want the thing jumping around all over the place. I was thinking of using the badger FTE break but was wondering if there is better out there. All imput is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Eliminating Muzzle Rise

FWIW I would take a hard look at how you are driving it if you want to minimize muzzle rise/movement. Until I had my positioning figured out, my rifle would move a good bit to the left and up. Once I got my positioning fixed up it helped a LOT.

A suppressor will help too of course lol.

I think it will. Try to knock all the angle out you can, load up bipod etc. I think you will be surprised.

That said, FWIW I like the FTE. I use one on the 338.

If you are wanting a simple break, minimal hop and muzzle jump we have a few of the SAS QD Gen 1 muzzle brakes in stock which are $75.00 each but will not allow suppressor attachment. If you need it installed we will be glad to assist with that as well just lmk.

Thanks for the info Stacey, I'm gonna drop by my smith and check out what he still has in stock. If he's emmpty then I might be giving you guys a ring cause simple and effective is what I'm looking for. And the suppressor attachment isnt an issue.

Another option is the JP Enterprises Ben Cooley brakes. My smith threaded my barrel and contoured the rear of the brake to the same diameter of the barrel for a seemless fit.

They're a bit more expensive ($90) but the performance is excellent. In my Remington 700 5R .223 with AICS stock I no longer lose sight picture while shooting even at higher magnification. Quite alot of fun to see your shot thru the scope blow up a clay pigeon at 300 yards.

At first I tried to increase the rifle's weight to over 15 pounds but I found out it was not as effective in controlling muzzle rise as a decent brake.