• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Elite Hunter vs Hybrid

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
From what I gather the EH has a thinner jacket than the hybrid so that it can more reliably expand. I think they have the exact same shape and in most cases are 1 grain difference in weight.

In some of the calibers I shoot hybrids are very hard to find but the EH are readily available.

If hunting I assume the EH has advantages but if shooting targets are there any disadvantages to using the EH vs the hybrid? I would assume you could use the exact same load and POI would be very similar?

Yeah I've wondered this too. I was more interested in having a round I could load and shoot like my target loads but be able to hunt with. I would think you'd need to be shooting pretty good distance to see any meaningful differences on target other than maybe your zero poi, but I'd bet it's very close.

What gets me is the EH are not more expensive than the hybrids. If the hybrids don’t offer some sort of advantage over the EH why even make them?

I've used the 140 hybrids and 140 EH in the same rifle, 6.5saum. POI was similar but I did have slightly different powder charges for them to group at their best, which I was a little surprised by. The bc is slightly different between them. Accuracy between them , especially at distance, is pretty damn close in my experience.

Yeah I've wondered this too. I was more interested in having a round I could load and shoot like my target loads but be able to hunt with. I would think you'd need to be shooting pretty good distance to see any meaningful differences on target other than maybe your zero poi, but I'd bet it's very close.
This is why I shoot Hornady ELDMs. Good enough target bullet for what I do and a great hunting bullet. I’ve taken dozens and dozens of deer, hogs, and audad with them.

I am curious about these Bergers though. If the EH work on game well and shoot well then it would be another option.

This is why I shoot Hornady ELDMs. Good enough target bullet for what I do and a great hunting bullet. I’ve taken dozens and dozens of deer, hogs, and audad with them.

I am curious about these Bergers though. If the EH work on game well and shoot well then it would be another option.
Yeah that's one of the reasons I shoot eldm too for 223, which is what shoot varmints with. The beger is just a lot more consistent in the 6mm and 6.5mm bullets so it would be really nice to have the EH in 6cm that I could shoot without a big POI difference and minimal MV/ BC difference. I've come close to getting some several times to load up and keep for the longer range stuff and for deer. I don't really hunt anymore but my boys are getting to the age that they are wanting to hunt now so I will be doing it more in the coming years