ELR 308/338 shooting

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Had a couple record distances the other day, thought I would share whats 'possible' . My buddy and I are contemplating making a small local ELR match so we took out 9 of our targets and put them at various distances to go through it once and see what would be reasonable size targets. Conditions were not the best. There was a TON of mirage and the winds would change direction and gust between 0 and 5 mph. They were NOT fast winds, but the gusting was unpredictable, and even changed directions at one point. I didn't do well with my 338 that day but my buddy rocked. I made up with some great 308 shooting though. Regardless, beautiful aint it:

spot_zpsb2f8bb60.png

Here are the two longest range targets with my 308. It's an AIAX running 175smk FGMM. I didn't have any of my reloads rolled and believe it or not FGMM somehow out shoots my own reloads with tighter velocity spreads in this rifle. I used 30 rounds that day. Most was placing hits on the closer targets and then wasting the rest on the 2250.

Here is 1607 Yards:

1607_zps22b5dd64.png

The hit is right below and to the left of the cluster of 338 hits. (it just looks like paint flaking off but if you look closely you can see the hit) It took 4 rounds to get on target and then I moved onto my longest ever hit with a 308 and thats at 1936 yards:

1936_zps423e63da.png

I zoomed in on the hit just to show the naysayers that they are STILL flying tips forward at this range. This took me 8 rounds or so. Not sure exactly. Then I moved onto our 2240 target and used the rest of my rounds on that. I got nothing. It took a whopping 49 mils. Elevation was good on all the shots, surprisingly even the 2250. Wind or whatever other factor that drove it horizontal was killer. I'm sure if I dedicated a box to just this target I could hit it, but its far from practical. I have a horus reticle so I found a landmark that was 22 mils directly above the target, dialed 7 mils and then held 20 mils high on it. Pretty ridiculous, but fun to do every once in a while.

Anyways, we also put a target at 2615 that I tagged with my AX338 and 300gr bergers:

2615_zps6bc16250.png

It's a loooooooong ways away. It took about 10 shot or so. The first 2 I didn't even know where they landed. I dialed down a bit so any hits would fall in front of the target. Turns out they were flying over into a valley that you can't see splashes. Then it was a bit of a battle with the wind. To be honest, at that distance I could not even begin to successfully predict wind. Even if I did, it would change by the time it hit 5 seconds later! Anyways, the bergers were still tip forward! I would really call this an unrealistic distance though. The inability of being able to read the wind makes it a no go. But maybe if you practice enough, I guess on a 'good' day it might be practical to a 'pro'.

Last edited:
    Sir,..outstanding report and bloody good shooting too.

What was the elevation at your FFP?
    Actual altitude is 1800. DA was 6500 at 85 degrees.

Heres what I got for my 338lm drops in mil's. My suppressor zero is 0.6 mils above my zero and all these were shot suppressed. So for example, the 470 is actually 2.2mils :

470-2.8
    1037-8.0
    1236-10.4
    1471-13.5
    1607-15.5
    1760-17.9
    1936-21
    2240-27.4
    2615-36.6

I actually made a little phone holder that goes on my other rifles scope to record everything, but it all turned out terrible. There is so much mirage that it messed with the focus and you just see a blurry target. The only shots you can see is actually at the 470. Even that one is pretty bad quality, but atleast hits are discernible. Here's the 470 with hits slomo'd.