ELR build, ideas/concepts needed

Scootch

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2017
Mississippi
With my limited time to research and no peer’s brain to pick, it’s hard to gather ideas or methodologies behind why/how people make their decisions in building a two mile + gun.

If you all would take the time add your comments my list below… add to the list if needed.

Let’s go with a .375 CheyTac on a BAT L action. If you’d prefer a different caliber or action, why?

1. Which bullet, solids?
  2. Which barrel, dimensions, twist rate, gain twist?
  3. Muzzle device?
  4. Stock, McMillan Beast, chassis system, others…why?
  5. Do you want the centerline of the muzzle above, below or directly inline with your shoulder?
  6. How much for total gun weight minus scope and accessories?
  7. How do you want the gun to balance?
  8. Who’s scope base, adjustable, fixed, achieve cant from canted rings and base combinations?
  9. Scope, what scope would be adequate to get the job done?
  10. Etc.

Thanks,
Scootch

You could go for a 50BMG wildcat shooting .375 solids to get more MV. See examples discussed here from the 2017 Ko2M, etc.

You should look into hyper-stabilized bullets: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hyper-stabilized-bullets-jim-boatright.6873186/
(I'm not saying that is the solution, but why not spend a few hundred hours reading ballistics?)

I'd go for the Charlie TARAC.

Bring large buckets of money and the patience of Ghandi and I'm sure you'll get there.

With my limited time to research and no peer’s brain to pick, it’s hard to gather ideas or methodologies behind why/how people make their decisions in building a two mile + gun.

If you all would take the time add your comments my list below… add to the list if needed.

Let’s go with a .375 CheyTac on a BAT L action. If you’d prefer a different caliber or action, why?

1. Which bullet, solids?
  3. Muzzle device?
  5. Do you want the centerline of the muzzle above, below or directly inline with your shoulder?
  8. Who’s scope base, adjustable, fixed, achieve cant from canted rings and base combinations?
  10. Etc.

Thanks,
Scootch

1. Stay with proven caliber. Solid. Cutting edge Bullets.
2. Slight gain. Bartlein. 36" minimum.
3. T5
4. McMillan or manners. No chassis.
6. Approx 38
8. 40 moa Spuhr on top of a 30 moa base
9. Schmidt & Bender 3-27 with 340 clicks. Your going to need them all.
10. JJ Rock super xl action. Charlie Tarac 30 mils.
AND about 8 months build/wait time.

Good shooting.
Chris Schmidt

Thats a good combo.

375 Cheytac and 416 Barrett seem to be the most popular. There are some others that pump up the performance a bit.

+1 cutting edge bullets, they also have some new .408s out that should work well in the Cheytac case.

only other thing I can add is, a good heavy duty bi pod and Fed 215M primers

I'm having one built, Bat L only cuz of quick availability, if same build time do the EX. Beast stock. Krieger 36" barrel, 1" muzzle. Again it's instock. Will go bigger one next order. Will go with cutting edge most likely since I can use the, at my local range for load development vs the Warner bullets.

Also it seems like the Nightforce 7-35 is the go to scope.

1. Which bullet, solids?
  3. Muzzle device?
  10. Etc.

Thanks,
Scootch

Hi,

To be able to provide you with the information you seek we must first know your intended usage of the rifle because build components, etc can and typically will be different based off your intended use.

1. Range gun or field gun?
2. Are you trying to stay within certain weight restrictions based off individual competitions rule sets?
3. Are you wanting the rifle as more of an experimental system in which you can easily test different barrels, rifling profiles, projectile designs, etc or you wanting it strictly as a "once it is setup it does not change" type system?
4. Basically what are you wanting to accomplish with the system?
5. You are aware that the rifle setup is cheap in dollar amount compared to consumables cost of barrels, ammunition, etc in order to become proficient at your 2 mile quest right?

Sincerely,
Theis

Thanks for the replies. I do not have any preconceived requirements for a build. The main intent was to receive general feed back on what's being used and why. An attempt, if you will, to gather information I would see at a shoot if I could walk around and look at what everyone is shooting and pick their brain.

Scootch.

I am also looking at a ELR rig. I am thinking of going this route;
.375 CT as not interested in a wildcat cartridge to much bullshit making brass
Stiller 1.460 Action
Rock Creek 36 in 1-8 or 1-8.5 Twist
Cadex Chassis 40 moa rail
I have the Ivey 50 mil adjustable scope base
I have S&B 3X27 35 mil
I have 300, 375 350 gr SMK'S
I have 200, 375 Cutting Edge 377 gr
Peterson Brass

Updated 6 May 2018

375 ALLEN MAG
Stiller TAC408 1.60"
McM A5 Adj Super Mag with Baer DBM or XLR Evolution HD
Bartlein 32" 8T 145" Breech for 5", taper to 1.1"
APS Large 5 Port Painkiller Brake
Jewel Bottom Safety
Nightforce ATACR F1 7-35x56 TReMoR3
Spuhr SP-4801 plus COLD SHOT MRAB 72 MILS or Spuhr SP-41801 or Charlie TARAC
Peterson Brass
350 gr SMK (3,300 fps), 377-400 gr Cutting Edge
RL33, FED215M

Last edited:
Cperazza with your 375 ALLEN MAG what are your loads? I have a 375 AM built as a single shot with McM A5 Adj Super Mag, 32 inch barrel.
What are you doing with the peterson brass to make it into AM? Are you using the .408 brass and necking down or using the .375?

I'm only running the SMK's just to reduce cost and get a bit more practice at distance past 1000. I see you're using H50BMG did you try retumbo at all?

Reactions: cperazza
What about the Cadex KRAKEN rig? Does having the interchangeable barrel cause a reduction in accuracy? I see they have a tool that torques to 100 lbs but is it still accurate? I know its pretty new so not sure if anyone has actually shot one.