ELR-Resources.com, 10 Years and Counting

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
ELR-Resources.com, 10 Years and Counting

On May 1, 2011, I launched a website devoted to ELR shooting, elr-resources.com. Below is a comparison of what was record that it had on June 5, 2011 and what it has today, May 9, 2021 (no stats as to the counts on May 1, 2011; all are company/line counts within the respective categories, not individual links - thousands):

Products:

Rifles
– then, 61; now, 170

Rifle Components (Actions/Receivers) – then 16; now, 33, plus a comparative “Receivers Matrix” with 28 companies spread across 3 action sizes

Rifle Components (Barrels) – then, 10; now 32

Rifle Components (Barrel Stress Relieving) – then, none; now 2

Rifle Components (Bipods) – then, combined with “Stocks/Chassis and Recoil Pads/Reducers”; now 33 (w/o stocks/chassis…)

Rifle Components (Detachable Bottom Metal (DBM) and Magazines) – then, none; now 11

Rifle Components (Muzzle Brakes and Recoil Reduction Devices) – then, 8; now 38

Rifle Components (Scope Bases and Rings) – then, 19 (combined with “Scopes”); now 37 (w/o scopes)

Rifle Components (Scopes) – then, part of the 19 above; now 33 (w/o scope bases and rings)

Rifle Components (Stocks/Chassis and Recoil Pads/Reducers) – then, 18 (combined with “Bipods”); now 70 (w/o bipods)

Rifle Components (Suppressors) – then, none; now 36

Rifle Components (Surface Coatings) – then, none; now 4

Rifle Components (Triggers) – then, 7; now 17

Ammo & Ammo Components (Ammo) – then, none (originally was only “Ammunition Components”); now 39, plus a comparative “Ammo Matrixes” with 36 companies spread across 10 cartridges

Ammo & Ammo Components (Brass) – then, 18; now, 22

Ammo & Ammo Components (Bullets) – then, 19; now, 36, plus a comparative “Bullet Matrix” with 34 companies spread across 4 caliber groups

Ammo & Ammo Components (Powders) – then, 7; now, 15

Ammo & Ammo Components (Primers) – then, 7; now, 8

Reloading Equipment (all categories) – then, 61

Reloading Equipment (Aids) – now, 16

Reloading Equipment (Bullet Coating and Prep) – now, 4

Reloading Equipment (Case Prep) – now, 28

Reloading Equipment (Dies) – now, 17

Reloading Equipment (Load Data) – now, 11

Reloading Equipment (Miscellaneous) – now, 4

Reloading Equipment (Presses) – now, 18

Reloading Equipment (Priming Tools) – now, 10

Reloading Equipment (Scales/Balances/Powder Measures) – now, 11

Reloading Equipment (Systems) – now, 1

Miscellaneous (all categories) – then, 21

Miscellaneous (Chamber Reamers) – now, 5

Miscellaneous (Fasteners and Material Suppliers) – now, 4

Miscellaneous (Other Miscellaneous) – now, 28

Miscellaneous (Ranging and Target Solution Aids) – now, 58

Miscellaneous (Rifle Cases and Associated) – now, 14

Miscellaneous (Shooting Rests) – now, 10

Miscellaneous (Spotting Scopes and Tripods) – now, 23

Miscellaneous (Target Impact Viewing Systems) – now, 10

Miscellaneous (Targets) – now, 12

Services:

Gunsmiths
- then, 22; now, 27 in the US plus 2 in Canada

Ranges (min 1000 yards) – then, 25; now, 87 in 34 US states plus 3 outside North America

Retailers/E-tailers (all categories) – then 22 (uncategorized)

Rifles – now, 15

Rifle Components (Actions) – now, 8

Rifle Components (Barrels) – now, 10

Rifle Components (Scopes) – now, 24

Rifle Components (Stocks and Chassis) – now, 11

Rifle Components (Suppressors) – now, 5

Rifle Components (Triggers) – now, 17

Ammo & Ammo Components (Ammo) – now, 27

Ammo & Ammo Components (Brass) – now, 21

Ammo & Ammo Components (Bullets) – now, 24

Ammo & Ammo Components (Powder) – now, 16

Ammo & Ammo Components (Primers) – now, 17

Reloading Equipment (Case Prep) – now, 14

Reloading Equipment (Dies) – now, 16

Reloading Equipment (Presses) – now, 16

Reloading Equipment (Priming Tools) – now, 13

Reloading Equipment (Scales, Balances, and Powder Measures) – now, 13

Misc (Ranging and Target Solution Aids) – now, 20

Misc (Spotting Scope and Tripods) – now, 16

Non-US Companies – now, 2

Training – then 21; now 29 in 19 states

Information:

Cartridges
(including, as available, reamer drawings and CIP/SAAMI specs) – then 27; now 59, plus a comparative “Cartridges Matrix” for 24 cartridges

Associations – then, not counted; now 8

Information Sites and Forums - then, not counted; now 41

Legal - then, not counted; now 14

Pubs, Articles, and Photos - then, not counted; now 25

News – recaps of changes to the site from week to week, plus links to product announcements for companies on my site, plus recaps of ELR content at SHOT Shows from 2012 thru 2020 (excluding 2014, when I was in the hospital).

Conclusion:

I think you’ll find the site to be an excellent start at exactly what it is intended to be, a resource for the ELR shooting community.

Finally, I would most sincerely appreciate feedback on what I’ve missed, what I’ve gotten wrong, and how the site can be improved to serve you. It’s a non-commercial site. It will get better, faster, with your help.

Thank you and God Bless!

Oscar

Reactions: gnochi
How is it Gunsite Academy is not in the training section. We've been doing the XLR class for more than 10 years, shooting to 2100m. Hell, Frank's been to the class three times,
Hi again, Cory - thanks for the clarification you provided by e-mail. I've added Gunsite Academy back to the list along with the prerequisite class info (the reason the Gunsite listing had been removed previously).

Yeah, we do have to do some vetting. I had one of the early classes where the office just put 3 people in the class without asking, father and sons. They had just bought a Barrett M82 and this turned out to be their first class in precision rifle. Needless to say, it did not go well. Then we had one writer for a hunting rag that talked his way in, using a loaner rifle from a company fronting an article for the fabulous BDC scope they had mounted. I explained carefully how that would not work. He insisted. He left at lunch on day two without a word, being unable to hit the 1K calibration target.

If it were easy, everyone could do it and I would not need to have a class.

I'm a little surprised that anyone would run an ELR class without significant prerequisites.

-Alex
Alex - the issue was not having a prerequsite, per se. My site notes:

Services - Training (“up to” distances of at least 1000 yards; *)

* Some sites are unclear as to whether ELR cartridges (as I’ve listed on the Cartridges page) are OK for use in their courses. I strongly suggest that prospective attendees confirm restrictions before signing up for a course, including possibly different restrictions for prerequisite courses. If you know that a specific provider does NOT allow at least 338 LM for a 1000 yard or longer course, or for a prerequisite course, please let me know and I will remove their listing. Thanks!

Until today, Gunsite fell exactly into that "removal" scenario. Cory confirmed, today, by e-mail, that Gunsite's prerequisite class is restricted to a non-magnum, max-30-cal, rifle. Thus the perspective student would need to borrow, rent, or otherwise obtain a second rifle to take that prerequisite class. However, Cory also advised that, "Experienced shooters can skip PR7 on staff approval, we’ve done that a fair bit." Thus Gunsite's add-back with the notation, "[a prerequisite class is non-magnum 30-cal max but may be waived]".

Let's put it this way, if a prospective ELR student does not already own and is proficient in the use of a non-magnum caliber precision rifle, they likely should not be attending a class in ELR shooting.

Shooting a magnum caliber like 338LM for your beginning precision rifle class is a truly BAD idea. Really, really bad.

Reactions: slowworm
Let's put it this way, if a prospective ELR student does not already own and is proficient in the use of a non-magnum caliber precision rifle, they likely should not be attending a class in ELR shooting.

Shooting a magnum caliber like 338LM for your beginning precision rifle class is a truly BAD idea. Really, really bad.
Cory - certainly folks may buy more than one rifle over some extended period of time. That noted, some shooter's first rifle may be chambered in .338 LM or "larger" - primarily as a function of interest and economics. Those shooters may well self-educate or otherwise become experienced in shooting that rifle in advance of considering taking an ELR class, some may not. Such shooters may even enter an ELR competition before considering taking an ELR-specific class - or any "class". I believe that the vast majority of shooters have never taken, or will ever take, a formal shooting "class". Not having taken a "class", on its own, tells a training facility nothing about the proficiency of a shooter to participate in an ELR class. Some training facilities (even just shooting clubs) have the requirement that a shooter demonstrate a level of proficiency, and safe gun-handling skill, before they are admitted as students or members. Other than a possible range fee, there is probably no cost to demonstrate proficiency and safe gun-handling skill. Isn't demonstration possible without a prerequisite class? Thanks.

Well, you could come here and demonstrate, but when you don't pass, then what? We just send you home? We may have a lot of repeat clients, but for many people the trip here is a one time deal. While people may get it it their head that "This ELR stuff looks fun, I'm going to buy a rifle and do it.", the problem is they don't know what they don't know. While many shooters are indeed self-educated, the fact is, most shooters pretty much suck. They do however have fun, and many even think they are pretty good. Being 'experienced' does not automatically equate to 'competent'. Even taking a class and passing may not be enough. Lack of proper practice breeds bad habits that are hard to overcome.

Basically every technical skill takes professional instruction if one is to reach a high level of performance. Everybody with a drivers license thinks they know how to drive. The Porsche 911 comes out and 80% of the buyers end up backwards in the weeds at some point because they never even heard of lift throttle oversteer. We've had department firearms instructors show up who have, 'been shooting all my life', they come to class and by day two they are asking 'Why did I not know this?'.

If you have not had professional instruction, it's probably pretty safe to say that your impression of your own ability is likely suspect. Even having had such instruction is not any kind of guarantee, but we must start somewhere. PR7 presumes you know nothing about shooting rifles, and infact I've had people show up with a rifle in a case they have never fired. No problem. XLR is only 4 days, it's not a basic class, if you are not already a competent precision shooter you will not have much fun, plus you will detract from the learning experiance of your teammates. Not good.