ELR rifle build under way

AZ_tactical

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2019
Cave creek, AZ
Hello everybody! I just started ordering parts for a .375 cheytac build. The rifle will be built on a Stiller TAC 408 1.6” action. I ordered a bartlein 1:8 twist barrel with 29” finish length, a McMillan A-5 super mag, and terminator t4+ brake. I’m going with the cadex bottom metal and a jewel trigger. This is my first dive into the elr world. Any thoughts or advice on this build would be great!

These are the top three mistakes I made with my 375 SnipeTac build.
1) The scope rail screws need locktite blue.
2) The action needs to be bedded to the stock.
3) The old school reamers don’t have enough free bore for modern ELR bullets.

Cheers,

Reactions: camotoe
These are the top three mistakes I made with my 375 SnipeTac build.
1) The scope rail screws need locktite blue.
2) The action needs to be bedded to the stock.
3) The old school reamers don’t have enough free bore for modern ELR bullets.

Cheers,

Thanks for the insight! Those all sound like simple little things that can make a big difference!

Reactions: LongshotCameras
I had JGS build a SnipeTac reamer with a .250 free bore based on discussion with Warner Tool. Just finished build and plan on shooting 400 Flatlines. 36" Bartlein 1:7.
IMG_1627.jpg

I spoke with Phoenix custom rifles today. They said I can give them a dummy round and they will have a reamer made specifically for the round I give them.
As long as you’re not wanting it any time soon... reamers from most places are running 6+ weeks out. I don’t have a repeater so I wasn’t worried about mag feeding. With a snipetac the dies were the worst part of the puzzle

As long as you’re not wanting it any time soon... reamers from most places are running 6+ weeks out. I don’t have a repeater so I wasn’t worried about mag feeding. With a snipetac the dies were the worst part of the puzzle

They said 12 weeks for a reamer. I’m waiting 6 months for the barrel though any way. Might as well have a good reamer made while I wait!

For 375 CT Dies I got the Applied Ballistic dies thru Shoot-Long.com. They just went out of stock and from what I been told they are much better then Whidden or CH4D. I would give Brain a call at Shoot-long to see when they will be back in stock.
My Peterson Brass is on it 3rd firing and chambers like new. I am shooting the 400gr Lazer CE with 128.8 of N570 getting 2958 with sd= 6.6

Reactions: PowerstrokeOBX
For 375 CT Dies I got the Applied Ballistic dies thru Shoot-Long.com. They just went out of stock and from what I been told they are much better then Whidden or CH4D. I would give Brain a call at Shoot-long to see when they will be back in stock.
My Peterson Brass is on it 3rd firing and chambers like new. I am shooting the 400gr Lazer CE with 128.8 of N570 getting 2958 with sd= 6.6
That’s one good thing about the cheytac over the snipetac, off the shelf dies. Who’s den also stocks does for the cheytac.

Gotcha, I’ll pass on a 6 month wait for a barrel. Too many good companies out there for that.

Of course, I like to always have a backup barrel in stock for the just in case kind of thing.

Reactions: jasent

I ordered the last set from shoot-long then Brian emailed me and said he had a call in order for them earlier that day. He said they would probably be back in stock by the end of the year. Applied ballistics had them in stock though so I got a set ordered from them!

Nice! I'm waiting on a taller rail from Bat machine to clear my XLR Chassis and have room for a Charlie Tarac down the road. Have just about everything else to start fire forming brass when it cools down a bit. 115F today. Lol

I live in NW AZ so I know about the heat. We are done shooting by 9am most days. If we say much later the mirage can get really bad and you end up wasting rounds cause you can't see to make a call.

Well things started showing up way sooner than expected! The barrel is in and McMillan just emailed me saying my stock is done. I also designed and had a custom muzzle brake made to use instead of the t4+

Attachments

• 579D07B0-42B1-4967-9696-32CC2B7006A3.jpeg
    579D07B0-42B1-4967-9696-32CC2B7006A3.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 746FAD4F-6F2B-4786-AFA0-B44761CFFD49.jpeg
    746FAD4F-6F2B-4786-AFA0-B44761CFFD49.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 41E7A28E-A6A5-4C9E-9B72-20AECC362867.jpeg
    41E7A28E-A6A5-4C9E-9B72-20AECC362867.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: jasent
Nice! Looks sweet.
I just mounted the scope on mine the other day. Have everything to load fireform ammo, just have to get unpacked n set up in my apartment from moving. By then should be a little cooler.

375 cheytac is on it's way. Anyone have any further updates on loads. Particularly using the 350g lasers and N570 or Retumbo in a 1-8" twist 29" Proof Research barrel? Is N570 too slow for the 350's. Really want to make N570 work since it's more available than retumbo lately.

Gun is being made by Brian at Shootlong.com.
XLR chassis
7x35 nightforce scope
Peterson brass. Fed 215 primers
Applied Ballistics Dies

I should start its own thread but don’t want to get ahead of myself. My buddy is just waiting on land owner permission. He wants to do it like a bass fishing tournament style with a high pay out. No prizes. I assume if it got popular and there were sponsors then there would be prizes but he wants it to be high payout matches.