• New Dangerous Freedom Tee - Out Now!

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop now
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Gunsmithing Enco Machines???

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
What do y'all know about Enco machinery? More Specifically their Lathe,mill,drill combo unit. My wife's grandfather just bought one for me to use to do minor gunsmithing projects that I have shown interest in. Unfortunately I have never even touched a mill or lathe before but after showing some interest in his career/passion he up and ordered one and is shipping it to my house. So my questions are is it a good/quality Setup? What else would I need to go with it and where could I get some instruction/classes on how to start using it I.E begginer machining and it gunsmithing courses? I have always thought it would be cool to learn how to do this kinda work but now he just made it a reality. It amazing having family that is always trying to make your dreams a reality

This is a link to the piece of Equip
Enco Lathe/Mill/Drill

Re: Enco Machines???

The machine you have is not really an ideal machine for precision gun work. However, having said that, set it up and use it to learn. Get yourself some books on basic manual lathe and mill operation. Even if you find a class, the books will help you. Start with basic stuff, but don't just make chips, make tools. Always machine to a predetermined dimension, even if it isn't really necessary. It's good practice. This way, if a mistake's made, you've only messed up some stock. Having your own machine at home is a great way to learn, go do something with it every time you can.

Look in the Brownell's catalog - there's a ton of ideas for tools in there. Then your learning time is well spent, there's something to show for it, and you will use your tools. As you learn, move on to more advanced stuff. You may by then have enough skill or know this is what you really want to do to move on to more advanced gear.

I ran a 14X40 Enco for 15 years and it gave good service. Was a lot better than a wore out US machine for the same price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrm850</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The part that would worry me the most is the 1.0625 bore through the spindle. You are going to have to be creative to chamber barrels with it. </div></div> now I am new at this so be easy but my understanding is that that the larger part would be sticking out in the work area but the smaller muzzle end would go through the spindle so it shouldn't limit too much unless I start with like a straight taper barrel or am I understanding this wrong?

I would think that most of the time you would be OK, as your 4 jaw chuck is probably about 6"thick and this will be in your favor. You can probably find some good videos on youtube to get you going. Have fun with your new toy.
smile.gif

Regards,
Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct, see you are starting to be a machinist, only 20 more years to go. Enjoy your time with the machine it can be fun. What part of Utah are you at.</div></div> LOL thanks I am just south of Provo in Spanish Fork

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The machine you have is not really an ideal machine for precision gun work. </div></div>
First off thanks for the replay and the advise on making tool that makes total sense to start there since it makes you machine to specs not just random cuts as you stated. When you say it is not ideal for precision gun work what do you mean? like the setup is not ideal or the quality/accuracy of it is not quite up to precision firearm requirements?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrm850</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The part that would worry me the most is the 1.0625 bore through the spindle. You are going to have to be creative to chamber barrels with it. </div></div> now I am new at this so be easy but my understanding is that that the larger part would be sticking out in the work area but the smaller muzzle end would go through the spindle so it shouldn't limit too much unless I start with like a straight taper barrel or am I understanding this wrong? </div></div>

The straight tapers were what I was thinking about when I wrote that. You should be able to grab almost all sporter tapers and even Palma tapers without too much issue.
You may have to break out the steady rest occassionally for BR tapers and getting the barrel prepped for that could be a bit of challenge if the barrel won't go through the headstock far enough to reach the spider.

I'm going to warn you now... you are about to be addicted to machines for life.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The machine you have is not really an ideal machine for precision gun work. </div></div>
First off thanks for the replay and the advise on making tool that makes total sense to start there since it makes you machine to specs not just random cuts as you stated. When you say it is not ideal for precision gun work what do you mean? like the setup is not ideal or the quality/accuracy of it is not quite up to precision firearm requirements? </div></div>

There's an Enco lathe in the shop I work at. It's ok but I try to take rebarreling and build projects to my home shop where I have a Grizzly 4003G which is way more accurate than the Enco. It could be me but it seems like something always needs to be readjusted on the Enco. That and the Enco is much lower to the ground than my Grizzly which sucks because I'm 6'2"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The machine you have is not really an ideal machine for precision gun work. </div></div>
First off thanks for the replay and the advise on making tool that makes total sense to start there since it makes you machine to specs not just random cuts as you stated. When you say it is not ideal for precision gun work what do you mean? like the setup is not ideal or the quality/accuracy of it is not quite up to precision firearm requirements? </div></div>

There's an Enco lathe in the shop I work at. It's ok but I try to take rebarreling and build projects to my home shop where I have a Grizzly 4003G which is way more accurate than the Enco. It could be me but it seems like something always needs to be readjusted on the Enco. That and the Enco is much lower to the ground than my Grizzly which sucks because I'm 6'2" </div></div> yeah I can understand that I am 6'2" as well. So should I try and tell my grandpa to just get a grizzly lathe not a whole combo unit since they aren't much different in price or would I be better served to do the lathe,mill,drill combo so I have all the tools to learn on and upgrade to a grizzly lathe latter on when I have better skills and more experience? My intentions are to learn how to do stock work for fitting and modification and barrel and action work like minor action clean up and fit a per chambered/threaded barrel to an action or thread the end of one for a muzzle device. Then eventually get into full truing of an action and chambering and installing a new barrel from a blank. With that said what would you suggest stick with the combo to learn or go for the lathe and have to add the mill and drill later?

I don't think the rigidity is there on those combination machines. Also, the low speed of 160 rpm for threading will be tricky for an inexperienced operator. Those combo machines are a series of compromises - nothing like dedicated gear.

However, if you learn on it you'll probably keep it for a secondary machine. Handy for doing small quick jobs when a main machine is tied up.

I'm currently in class to be a machinist and I strongly advise you do as much reading and learning as you can. Books, Google, Youtube, pick people's brains; any resource you can find because the amount of information related to machining is staggering.

Once you're confident in your knowledge, start slow, make some tools and small parts and slowly work your way up to bigger projects.

As far as gunsmithing, chambering barrels are a long way off if you're just starting out. I would focus on stock work, turn some muzzle brakes and other parts that won't pose a safety threat if not done correctly. I have a click under 1,000 hours on Bridgeports and engine lathes under my belt and I wouldn't consider turning a barrel at this point.

Luckily, just about anything you can dream of can be machined so you have a lot of options to hone your skills. Take your time, don't rush and read read read. Once you're tired of reading, read some more. It'll pay dividends down the road.

Great looking lathe-milling machine.

I have never had any formal training on a lathe but practiced running one at work at lunchtime. It is easy to pick up the basics.
After retiring, my brother, who is a machinist, and I bought a small lathe. I have learnt much from him.
I would suggest finding a retired machinist and pay him to give you one-on-one instructions on your lathe. You will learn the best way to do machining and will learn how get the most out of your lathe. After you learn this then you can move to gunsmith machining. I have ran across some videos on YouTube that were really good. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/suar08161991?feature=watch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do y'all know about Enco machinery? More Specifically their Lathe,mill,drill combo unit. My wife's grandfather just bought one for me to use to do minor gunsmithing projects that I have shown interest in. Unfortunately I have never even touched a mill or lathe before but after showing some interest in his career/passion he up and ordered one and is shipping it to my house. So my questions are is it a good/quality Setup? What else would I need to go with it and where could I get some instruction/classes on how to start using it I.E begginer machining and it gunsmithing courses? I have always thought it would be cool to learn how to do this kinda work but now he just made it a reality. It amazing having family that is always trying to make your dreams a reality

This is a link to the piece of Equip
Enco Lathe/Mill/Drill
</div></div>

Without being too coarse or vulgar, I mean emphasis on what I say next, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION TO WHAT HE SAYS AND SHOWS YOU HOW TO DO!</span></span>

ENCO's are good machines.

Thanks for all the feedback I decided it is best to just stick with the Enco because that is what will fit in my tiny garage and beable to do all 3
Any recommendations on specific books or videos to use to start learning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a click under 1,000 hours on Bridgeports and engine lathes under my belt and I wouldn't consider turning a barrel at this point.</div></div>

Are you waiting for the gunsmithing fairy to descend from the heavens and whisper words of encouragement in your ear? Did you run training wheels on your bike until junior high? How long did you practice in the parking lot during driver's ed before hitting the streets? (I bet it wasn't 1000 hours, and you're certainly as fuck more likely to hurt yourself or others with a car than with a slight machining error on a gun barrel.) I can only think of one activity that one might typically practice for a thousand hours before doing the real thing, and that's usually because of lack of an available partner
wink.gif

With a right equipment, machining a gun barrel is not a difficult task. It's simple turning, facing, threading, and boring. Don't make it out to be some sort of voodoo magic that requires thousands of hours of instruction to do safety or with adequate precision for a typical hunting or tactical rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the feedback I decided it is best to just stick with the Enco because that is what will fit in my tiny garage and beable to do all 3
Any recommendations on specific books or videos to use to start learning? </div></div>

AGI offers two series of how to videos with Darrell Holland as the instructor. They are very expensive, but can be rented for one week very cheaply. They have a ton of info for those that don't like to do a lot of reading.

What your family has done is opened a door for you to get started in this type work. Whether for hobby or business, if you get serious, you will soon be looking for a suitable lathe for barrel work. As already stated, it's not aerospace work, and how fast you proceed will be determined by your will to move forward.

Example. I knew a bit about machining when I started. I didn't practice for my first barrel job on scrap. I learned by watching the pros, then applied it on a Shelin barrel I ordered from Midway USA.

I would play around with what you have first, but start coming to terms that you will want more soon. Very soon. Best of luck

I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you where to rent the videos. It's Smartflics . There might be a wait, but its worth a look. They also have other videos you might want to rent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a click under 1,000 hours on Bridgeports and engine lathes under my belt and I wouldn't consider turning a barrel at this point.</div></div>

Are you waiting for the gunsmithing fairy to descend from the heavens and whisper words of encouragement in your ear? Did you run training wheels on your bike until junior high? How long did you practice in the parking lot during driver's ed before hitting the streets? (I bet it wasn't 1000 hours, and you're certainly as fuck more likely to hurt yourself or others with a car than with a slight machining error on a gun barrel.) I can only think of one activity that one might typically practice for a thousand hours before doing the real thing, and that's usually because of lack of an available partner
wink.gif

With a right equipment, machining a gun barrel is not a difficult task. It's simple turning, facing, threading, and boring. Don't make it out to be some sort of voodoo magic that requires thousands of hours of instruction to do safety or with adequate precision for a typical hunting or tactical rifle.

</div></div>

Callin a guy out cuz he's not comfortable turning a barrel yet. Classy. I'll send flowers in a couple years when you blow the right side of your face off. If you're such an expert, bestow some knowledge upon us instead of calling guys out for working within their limits; what kinda moron does that? I'll make chips all day long, I'll program anything with Fanuc controls, but when it comes to a 50,000psi explosion 4" from my face, forgive me for erring on the side of caution.

You're a tool. Go crawl back in your mommas ass.

Not trying to highjack FamilyMan's thread but I am kinda in the same boat except I inherited a Smithy CB-1220 XL combo unit and am using it to learn on. Whats yalls thoughts on this machine. It was my dad's and he used for machining outboard motor performance parts. I've made some tools and mounting blocks for monopods and bipods and even a pic rail for my stock, with a few bad tries:)

Family Man, Good luck on your journey! I look forward to hearing updates on how this lathe is working out. As (STR) mentioned, SmartFlix is an awesome resource for renting some of the gunsmithing DVD to see what's out there without having to shell out dough on stuff you don't need. I just rented some before Christmas and Darrell Holland's DVD is a bit dated but, has some great info. Looks to me like he was spinning a SB Heavy 10. I also rented Gordy Gritters DVD and it had some great info. Another resource is Richard Franklin's videos. He's retired but has a great metal work DVD for about $30. You'll find a lot of common ground on these and it should build your confidence.

Big shout out to STR as well, he has a lot of great info on YouTube! Also check out Viper6506 on YouTube. I'm always amazed at how willing these guys are to share information- in saying that...These guys are pro's and make it look sooooo easy. We all know it's not but, as mentioned, it's not voodoo either. Hope some of this info is helpful. Good Luck!