Enfield 2A bolt interchangeable with SMLE Mark 3?

I'm sure one of our resident SMLE experts will chime in soon. Iirc the bolt body is the same with a different bolt head to accommodate the different cartridge base of the 7.62.

I know the .303 bolts set the headspace by different thickness bolt heads. I'm not sure if that is the case for the 7.62 because it headspaces off the shoulder and not the rim.

I'm sure one of our resident SMLE experts will chime in soon. Iirc the bolt body is the same with a different bolt head to accommodate the different cartridge base of the 7.62.

I know the .303 bolts set the headspace by different thickness bolt heads. I'm not sure if that is the case for the 7.62 because it headspaces off the shoulder and not the rim.
2a1 and No.1 bolt heads are identical in shape and size but require select fitting to ensure correct timing and FP protrusion.
Extractors differ.
2a1 bolt/bolt heads are proofed for the higher pressures of the 7.62x51 NATO round, as are L42a1 bolts and bolt heads.
Only the No.4 LE's had 5 different sized(length) bolt heads numbered 0 thru 4.
2a1 and No.1 bolt heads were all the same size and headspace was set using a different method than No.4's.
Enfield bolts are not interchangeable as far as being a drop in fit.
They can usually be fitted to a different rifle by someone that knows the correct way to fit bolts, but sometimes they can't.
There's way more to it than just sliding it in the receiver and checking the head space.

Last edited: