Essential Spare Parts Question

abn_surfer

Vaya con Dios
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Apr 1, 2009
    Coastal South-East
    SO, I was cleaning out my garage and I realized that I had amassed a ton of mainly AR parts. I am not sure who bought this stuff or why, but, never the less; here is this bin full of good ideas and “must have’s” sits; besides being a great reflective exercise in priorities my question is, “What spare parts are essential?” I am thinking in terms of the AR platform, my bolt gun is an AI, so if that breaks-down I will need to take a second mortgage to fix it.

When it comes to ARs, I'm more of a "New York Reload" kinda guy. Every time I find some "spare parts," I build a new rifle...

Those things are like tribbles..

“Hey, would you look at this…found that missing detent pin on the garage floor. Well, nothing we can do now but build up another AR.”

Those things are like tribbles..

“Hey, would you look at this…found that missing detent pin on the garage floor. Well, nothing we can do now but build up another AR.”
    Not too long ago, I also found a detent pin.
    Months before I put together a bunch of ARs and shot a detent pin into the abyss, and then worked in the shop, cleaned shop, worked and so on. Then one day I look down and I was like, hey little guy, look at you there.
    I can't believe that little pin found its way there after all that went on in that shop area

I think a spare BCG and spare parts for it is a enough. If you are sending junk down the barrel, maybe a front end rebuild. The BCG is what gets the wear with all the cycling. Blow out the trigger assy during cleaning and drop some oil on the springs.
    A light coat of gun oil on the BCG and oil your contact points only.
    De-carbon the bolt and extractor with a dental pick

Reactions: abn_surfer
    Id say keep enough kit to build 4 complete ARs. Right down to Scopes and Rings🤫

Hayden.
    Quite a few years ago, I bought a kit from Brownells that has pins, milspec triggers and springs, grip screws and magazine catches and such. Lower parts kit. If I recall correctly, it was 5 complete sets. Then I bought another and another and some grips and some cheap collapsing buttstocks and some buffers and springs and gas tubes and....then I bought some lowers and uppers and barrels and some red dots.

Great minds think alike.

You can find field emergency kits everywhere from everyone like this one...

Replicate it and find one of those small transparent plastic waterproof cases to store it in and keep it in your shooting bag.
    Like this one...

It's not exactly rocket surgery or science brainiac shit yaknow ?

Edit....what an odd description for the walmart cheapo plastic case I linked.....hope it works for you since I just checked and it works for me.

Good info so far!

Start with Sprinco springs for the buffer, extractor, ejector, hammer, and gas rings.
    That will prevent many problems.

What usually fails is springs, or parts associated with the bolt. Hence, extra bolt or a complete BCG that’s tested.

Triggers fail but less often than extractor/ejector issues. Have an extra trigger kit.

Have extra sighting systems laying around also.

My go to is the Sons Of Liberty Gun Works Parts kit. Grab these from Big Tex Ordnance. No problems at all and go into all my builds. They have just a Lower (springs and Detent) kit and one with trigger and grip.

Hayden.

Reactions: Makinchips208