• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Factory 700 LTR and Build Certificate (Need suggestions let me see yours)

ChiefSillyHorse

Chief
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2017
Williamsburg , OH
I'm getting a factory Remington LTR in a few days, and I have a full build certificate for a complete rifle through Arrow Dynamic Precision Weapon Systems in North Carolina. I'm planning on rebuilding the LTR but don't really know where I want to go with it. The cert is good for truing and blueprint, threaded muzzle, bedding, trigger, m16 extractor, lapping rings and bases, cerakote, and more things I can't think of right off hand. These are the things I will definitely be doing.

New Barrel (unsure on kind but thinking about a lighter weight build, (not ultralight) so probably fluted or Carbon Fiber.
Truing and Blueprint
Install Trigger (I have a Timney Flat just lying around) with right side safety and bolt release
Bed the stock (not sure if I'll keep the factory LTR stock or not, more so depends on how I proceed on the build. It's a HS Precision.
Thread the barrel if not threaded already.
Lap the rings and install base (I have Seekins rings and a Leupold MK4 base)
M16 Extractor
Oversized Recoil Lug
Cerakote (unsure on color scheme)

I have a Seekins Havak in 6.5 CM and a McMillan Tac-308 already, so I'm not looking for a hunting rifle (Havak) or a heavy tactical rifle (McMillan). I guess maybe something in between? I know that the LTR stock is smaller than a full size rifle. Anyone done a custom build off of a LTR before? Lets see your builds and also your thoughts on what else I should get done to the rifle. As I stated before I'm not new to the precision rifle game, but this will be my first precision rifle build. Specifically inquiring on:

THOUGHTS ON BARREL CHOICE (someone on here has PAC-NOR 6.5 Blanks at 28" that are fluted, would it be fine to cut them down to 22-24")? Anyone shot the PAC-NOR before? Also thinking about (Bartlein, Schneider, Kreiger) etc, or a carbon Proof Barrel. Thinking about 22-24".

WHAT STOCK

WHAT COLOR SCHEME

WHAT ELSE I NEED TO DO TO THE FACTORY RIFLE

My first suggestion is to buy a cheaper remington 700 and forget the ltr. Youre just tearing it all down anyway, no need to spend $500 more bucks for something a walmart 700 adl will do. Basically, you just need the action.

Why not just start with a budget custom action like a Bighorn Origin or ARC Nucleus (both of these are around the cost of a new 700 LTR). Or if your budget is tighter than that just buy a bare 700 SA from Brownells.

You can buy the HSP stock if you are set on it. I’d look at a MCM HTG/A1-3 or a MCS T/T3 as well as they are comparible and can probably be made lighter.

Bottom metal is whatever you want.

Barrel. Look at a light palma contour from any manufacturer for your intended purpose of a utility rifle. Get whatever caliber you want, they all work well. 22” is great for your purpose.

Color? Dunno, some folks like camo, some folks like flashy, some folks don’t care. That’s soely up to you. Me? I like a basic ODG/Brown/Tan scheme. But the MCS “Americana” looks super sexy on their Elite stocks.

My first suggestion is to buy a cheaper remington 700 and forget the ltr. Youre just tearing it all down anyway, no need to spend $500 more bucks for something a walmart 700 adl will do. Basically, you just need the action.

I should've made note, I got the cert and the rifle together for a really good price. LTR was the only option in rifle. I suppose when it comes I could sell it, buy an action, and go from there, but I'd be looking at a lot more money.

Barrel: see comments above

Stock: See above for (arguably) better options in the same form as the HSP LTR stock. I prefer a more vertical grip like on the A3/T6. My wrist and trigger finger alignment thank me.

Colors? Dunno, what do you like, its your rifle, not mine.

Caliber: Pick whatever you think best suits you.