• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Failure of Powder burn

I had some RL 15 that was less than a year old, kept in a dry place. I pulled it out and tried it in a 7.62 Russian round I was playing with. The first and only two I tried to fire failed. the Primer detonated and I could smell an unfamiliar smell but no ignition of the powder. The primer was enough to bush the bullet into the lands and when I ejected the shell the powder was real clumpy and and had some of it had a light brown color. I pulled an unfired round apart and it looked like freshh powder, not like the other two. The air temperature was about 20 degrees and the round had been outside for approx. one hour before shooting. Was it just too cold for RL 15(I haven't heard of this but just checking) or can some one give me some heads up. I have used this same Rl 15 before in 223 remington rounds before with no problem.

thanks for any and all advice

Re: Failure of Powder burn

I've been shooting all winter,many days in the low 20's with brutal wind chills. My 308 load is with RL15. Something else is wrong.I've never heard of this.

The fact that it was used in a Russian case of unknown history is more than likely the cause.Probably an issue with the primer-when you loaded the case is there a possibility that the original powder was not COMPLETELY removed-especially around the flash hole?

In your AO, it is still cold-right? Go take a small amount of RL15 put it outside on the sidewalk and light it with a match. I'll bet it burns just fine.

Thanks for the Response Lt. Arclight. To follow up The case is brand new primed with federal primer. I loaded these the same time, with the same cases, and same primers as I did with rounds of varget. The varget rounds shot fine.

Thanks for trying, I might go try another round from that same batch and see what happens.

To follow up, I pulled one more round randomly from box of RL-15 loaded ammo, It did fire but hesitated like on old sidelock muzzle loader.

any info would be great or I will just throw out this powder and try a new pound. It should have never gotten contaminated or wet but maybe a bad batch?

thanks
Nick

1.Check your primers, If the anvil is above the bottom of the cup the primer will not be as senisitive as it should be, thus may not burn as hot as designed. Add enough pressure on your press when priming to force the anvil back into place, you will feel a very very slight bump when it re-compresses back in place. I have had this occur with Fed-215 primers, 10 to 11 in a brick of 1000.

2.You may have a bad batch of primers, check the lot number and call the mfg. to see if the have had any reports of problems with that lot#. Very rare but it happens

I have had problems with R15 also in the 54r case. It would not burn right. It always fired but some would not ignite right and would not seal the chamber. It would blow gas back at you and the case would be all black. I switched to a mag primer and the problem went away. mine was in a unissued M39. Also don't try to seat the bullet out. It is a waste of time on these as the throat is way long. Worse than any Remington I have seen.