• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Failure to fire.. bad primers?

Strbrd22

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 1, 2024
Western NY
Loaded up some 260 with Federal gold medal primers. The primers were from about 2018 but always kept in a sealed ammo box . Had about every third one not go ‘boom.’ I think I’m getting a decent primer strike and even attempted to fire one of the rounds a second time.. no joy. Is it common to have a ‘bad batch’ of primers or am I missing something? Thanks!
IMG_1519.jpeg
IMG_1518.jpeg
IMG_1452.jpeg

Measure the primer heights and the primer pocket depths and ensure that you are putting them all the way down to the bottom of the pocket.

Measure your headspace and ensure you don’t have enough space for the round to slide forward and absorb the strike without detonating. The firing pin can just push the case forwards into empty space instead of denting the primer deep enough to go off. You can crush a primer slowly alright, it needs speed/momentum to go off.

Take the bolt apart and ensure that it’s clean and that there isn’t grease or lube in the firing pin channel that’s dried and gummed up.

Measure how much the firing pin sticks out of the bolt face when it’s uncocked/in the fired state. Should be .040-.060 or so.

Measure the back of the firing pin in relation to the bolt shroud in cocked and fired states to ensure that your trigger/action combo is giving you enough fall distance for an adequate smack. Should be at least .240

Measure the primer heights and the primer pocket depths and ensure that you are putting them all the way down to the bottom of the pocket.

Measure your headspace and ensure you don’t have enough space for the round to slide forward and absorb the strike without detonating. The firing pin can just push the case forwards into empty space instead of denting the primer deep enough to go off. You can crush a primer slowly alright, it needs speed/momentum to go off.

Take the bolt apart and ensure that it’s clean and that there isn’t grease or lube in the firing pin channel that’s dried and gummed up.

Measure how much the firing pin sticks out of the bolt face when it’s uncocked/in the fired state. Should be .040-.060 or so.

Measure the back of the firing pin in relation to the bolt shroud in cocked and fired states to ensure that your trigger/action combo is giving you enough fall distance for an adequate smack. Should be at least .240
I’ve had primers go off in my rbcs hand loader tool squeezing too hard into crimped pocket probably. That’ll wake you up.

• Haha
Reactions: Strbrd22
Being this is an "ALMOST" bolt gun :)
Fired cases should be at zero headspace.
Measure Datum (CBTS) of fired versus duds.
IF there is a difference of maybe 0.004" or more Headspace is likely your issue.
(can be solved by JAM).
If primer is moved to a fired case and it goes off the primer was good.
I feel knowing what is causing this before loading long is better.

Let us know some results.

Loaded up some 260 with Federal gold medal primers. The primers were from about 2018 but always kept in a sealed ammo box . Had about every third one not go ‘boom.’ I think I’m getting a decent primer strike and even attempted to fire one of the rounds a second time.. no joy. Is it common to have a ‘bad batch’ of primers or am I missing something? Thanks!View attachment 8492743View attachment 8492741View attachment 8492742
Like some other's have said, it looks to me like light strikes, which could be from a not so good seating depth of the primer and/or the headspace is too much and/or the firing pin protrusion isn't enough (make sure the firing pin is clean unobstructed).

Last edited:
Reactions: Strbrd22 and Doom
I had this happen to a bunch of Prime (Norma) .260 ammo a few years ago. It was with a last of the Remington 700s before bankruptcy. They started using a different firing pin assembly and it always seemed weak. It got to the point where it ruined several primers. I ended up replacing the assembly with a NOS unit and solved the problem.

Reactions: Strbrd22