Falkor Petra on its way

slkzic

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2010
    Maine
    Got a sweet deal on a Falkor Defense Petra .300 Win Mag. It is one of thier now discontinued 22” stainless steel barreled offerings. Figure if I shoot the barrel out I will have a DRACOS installed. Plan on running some factory Hornady ELD-X 200 grain for barrel break in. Not sure what I want for glass yet. XRSII H59 is on the top of my list right now. What is everyone else’s experiences with the PETRA and what are you running for glass? Not a lot in the forums.

I am VERY interested to hear your feedback on this.
    Not many user reports out there for this or for the NEMO .300 Win Mags.

Probably because Nemo and Falkor don't have a good track record as far as being able to consistently produce rifles that preform. There are some rifles that those two companies have made that will shoot but the reality is they are fewer and farther in between than I'd be comfortable with wasting my money on. Sure you'll hear the folks that have them sing from the mountain tops about how great they are but across the spectrum you going to find a lot of 2 MOA rifles, blowing primers.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    My buddy took his out and shot it next to me the same day I was checking zero on a couple of my rifles. He didn't really put it through it's paces, basically shot it enough to zero at 100 and took a couple shots out at about 500 yards. He was shooting 200 grain Hornady ELDx out of it, factory loads. It shot sub MOA, but barely. I wouldn't say it was a tack driver by any means, but I've seen bolt guns shoot worse, so take it for what it's worth. It did look like it had pretty minimal recoil, which was impressive.

Probably because Nemo and Falkor don't have a good track record as far as being able to consistently produce rifles that preform.

Nemo and Falkor are one in the same, something happened within the ranks as Nemo, and they went their separate ways, reborn as FALKOR , and have been making excellent products ever since, I do not have a Petra, but I do use their Receiver sets and they are the best, most advanced on the market.

I'm well aware of the Nemo/Falkor connection. I had the chance shoot and review quite a few Nemo rifles, probably 8-12 rifles altogether over 2012-14 while working at the 1st SFG(A) Sniper Detachment. I was not impressed with the accuracy or reliability as a whole. Typically if the rifle could shoot accurately then reliability was shit and if reliability was good accuracy was shit. Lot of 2 MOA guns and blown primers, broken parts as I mentioned earlier. Now I'd say this is dated infomation but fact is I keep seeing these rilfes show up to my PR classes and worse off LE classes and honestly usually the rifle doesn't make it all the way through a 3-5 day course without some major issue. In some cases the shooters just quit.

Now as Falkor is concerned, in 2016, against my better judgment and that of my peers, I approached Falkor about using one of their .308 gas guns for the 2016 US Army ISC. Again you'd think if you're going to spot light your company you'd at least put your best foot forward but at last the apple didn't fall far from the Nemo tree. Falkor ended up having to sending me two different rifles over the course of our train up. After 1500-2000 rounds between the 2 guns and 4 deferent shooters we could not get either one to hold sub 1.5 MOA. I ended up driving to the ISC with no rifle, luckly found an OBR on the way down, boresighted it on the highway and finished 3rd that year.

Bottom line is there is no way I'd ever recommend either one of those companies to a student or client based of my experience as an instructor and actually seeing what these guns do in the wild. As a recrational shooter it's a gamble with your money, as professional shooter it's a gamble with someones life. Fact is building large frame AR's with consistent accuracy and reliability is a hard nut to crack. Even companies like LaRue, Knights, JP are not perfect but the odds of you getting what you pay for are pretty damn good when compared to Nemo/Falkor.

Thanks for all the info. Anyone have any muzzle velocity info for factory rounds? Hoping mine will be one of the accurate trouble free ones.

I have one and haven’t had any problems out of it yet. Only put about 40 to 60 rounds down the tube and haven’t had a chance to shoot groups with different ammo yet.

Reactions: slkzic
    It sounds like we got the same deal on the petra. I immediately sent it out to falkor for a dracos barrel swap. It cost $850, but was still alot cheaper then buying the model that came with the dracos.

I opted for the schmidt and Bender polar. I plan on using this for hog hunting, and the polar has 96% light transmission, one of the best in the market.

If I was going to use this as a range rifle, I would probably go with a Schmidt and Bender Pmii, tangent theta, or US optics B-25.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm well aware of the Nemo/Falkor connection. I had the chance shoot and review quite a few Nemo rifles, probably 8-12 rifles altogether over 2012-14 while working at the 1st SFG(A) Sniper Detachment. I was not impressed with the accuracy or reliability as a whole. Typically if the rifle could shoot accurately then reliability was shit and if reliability was good accuracy was shit. Lot of 2 MOA guns and blown primers, broken parts as I mentioned earlier. Now I'd say this is dated infomation but fact is I keep seeing these rilfes show up to my PR classes and worse off LE classes and honestly usually the rifle doesn't make it all the way through a 3-5 day course without some major issue. In some cases the shooters just quit.

Now as Falkor is concerned, in 2016, against my better judgment and that of my peers, I approached Falkor about using one of their .308 gas guns for the 2016 US Army ISC. Again you'd think if you're going to spot light your company you'd at least put your best foot forward but at last the apple didn't fall far from the Nemo tree. Falkor ended up having to sending me two different rifles over the course of our train up. After 1500-2000 rounds between the 2 guns and 4 deferent shooters we could not get either one to hold sub 1.5 MOA. I ended up driving to the ISC with no rifle, luckly found an OBR on the way down, boresighted it on the highway and finished 3rd that year.

Bottom line is there is no way I'd ever recommend either one of those companies to a student or client based of my experience as an instructor and actually seeing what these guns do in the wild. As a recrational shooter it's a gamble with your money, as professional shooter it's a gamble with someones life. Fact is building large frame AR's with consistent accuracy and reliability is a hard nut to crack. Even companies like LaRue, Knights, JP are not perfect but the odds of you getting what you pay for are pretty damn good when compared to Nemo/Falkor.

In 2016 the company was still in early production stages and people in charge of T&E were not checking DEMO rifles before they were sent, I'm sorry for your negative experience but with the new technology the rifle platforms are running smoothly and accurately, we have done several demo rifles to LE and training depts and our findings were very good. We have used feedback from customers and professionals alike to develop what we feel is the most accurate and reliable rifle on the market. They consistently run smoothly and hold .5 to .25 MOA. The 300wm is a high pressure round but does not pop primers.

Reactions: Jeffd and Stew89

Rudy, I am glad to get your feedback about our rifle. I will be working on testing the rifles to induce the same inconsistencies you seem to have found with our rifles. May I ask what course of fire were you shooting and with what round count? Also what intervals did you have where the rifle was cooling down vs being fired? Any and all information you could provide me to attempt to re create what you did to get these results will help myself and Falkor to identify and address any possible inconsistencies with our product. Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected].

giphy.gif

Reactions: chrisfs
    I just bought a Nemo Arms Battle Light Rifle and it is almost as accurate as my JP Rifles and is 100% reliable and very high quality. I don't know much about the past but they make great rifles today.

Reactions: Jeffd
    Rudy, I am glad to get your feedback about our rifle. I will be working on testing the rifles to induce the same inconsistencies you seem to have found with our rifles. May I ask what course of fire were you shooting and with what round count? Also what intervals did you have where the rifle was cooling down vs being fired? Any and all information you could provide me to attempt to re create what you did to get these results will help myself and Falkor to identify and address any possible inconsistencies with our product. Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected].

Stew, I sent both rifles back together with a brief written report of the problems via email and I believe a hard copy was included in the return package some time in either late 2016 or early 2017. I also talked to Clint Walk and Tyler Hughes a couple of times on the phone trying to make those rifles shoot and nothing we did ever worked. I appreciate Falkor generosity in whole matter but unfortunately as I pointed out, I probably spent some where in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 rounds messing around with those rifles. Considering the value of my time as an SME and personal financal investment that ammo represents, I don't particually feel the need to invest any farther.

I sincerely hope you guys are progressing in product development, the concepts are good, thats the whole reason I approached Falkor in the first place. But talk is cheap and I've been around this industry long enough to have learned that the hard way. I'll resend you the emails if I can hunt them down but honestly its kind of a low priority for me.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    Clint always seemed like he was more concerned with promoting himself than actually working to make the product better. Always nice and fun to be around, though.

I have two nemo recon and one Petra.
    I shoot MK248 MOD 0 I have Not have any blown primers. I have two versions on the nemo recon two different barrels and two different bolt carriers. They all shot .5 moa.
    The only one problem I had with one of my recon it was way over gas and they took care of it with a new upgraded bolt and gas block. The Petra has the Draco’s barrel and no problem shoot very well and no problems. All I shoot is mk248.