• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

falling block rifles

Re: falling block rifles

It will kick the s--- out of you, run through the barrel in less than 1500 rounds and be of little use for any normal hunting or paperpunching.
A 7 mm remmeg or 7mm08 is far better and a 7x57 (if you can find one) is about the ultimate 7mm #1

Had a few #1s and will not own another unless in a 6.5x55SE. They are neat rifles but inferior to other designs. Lock time is horrid, triggers are poor, not very accurate, odd forearm attachment design, etc. are the features that come to mind. Even in a .22PPC, they just do not shot as well as a good AR. A .45-70 or .223 might be OK but it is not really a long range rifle.

I have been told a Ruger #1 can be made to shoot well, but so can a .50 caliber patched ball.......

Yeah, it's going to recoil in 7 ultra for sure. I have one in .300win, bought it strictly as an elk rifle and a spare that I didn't mind getting beat around. However, by some stroke of divine luck mine did go under 1" with factory loaded 180grain power points. Probably won't the next time around. Cleaning is a bitch. I don't know that anyone makes a bore guide, and you have to try as best you can not to drip solvent into the trigger. All that being said, I still like the hell out of it. I like the simplicity of the single shot and no bolt handle sticking out. There is one in 6br on 6mmbr.com that Bullberry rebarreled.