• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fast Twist 22LR 1:9

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
I picked up a barrel for my sako quad and have not been able to get out to the range with it yet due to work, I plan on taking it out on wed. weather permitting. It is a 18" 1:9 twist 22LR Match barrel from STS. I picked it up because STS cut me a deal I couldn't refuse on it since a customer special ordered it and then changed his mind. It was made to shoot the 60gr Aguila SSS ammo and supposedly was tested by STS and it shoots "bug holes", but I'm curious how it will shoot ammo that is more standard in weight/speed, 38-40gr stuff. I'm guessing it should shoot the subsonic stuff pretty well even with the high rpms, but curious how the bulk standard and high velocity stuff works. Anyone have a fast twist 22LR that can give me a heads up on how it does with the 40gr range standard and high velocity stuff?

Re: Fast Twist 22LR 1:9

Ray at BULLY Barrels makes many of his pistol barrels in 1:8 twist and I have this one on my Smith 41. It is extremely accurate. Ray posts the targets from his test with CCI Stand Velocity ammo before he ships. You can see them on his web site. I can't speak to what happens in longer barrels. I'll be interested in your results.
CIMG0892.jpg

Sako quad..thats no good get rid of it. As a matter of fact I will trade you my old SEARS(Ted williams) and you will get better results with that!!
Good question you might try posting at rimfire central.com

I'll post some groups and results in a few days if I get out to the range. I don't have a lot of hope for the high velocity stuff out of a fast twist, but I'm thinking the subsonics and maybe even standard velocity stuff will shoot decent.

KAZ, that's a nice looking pistol you have there. If this barrel shoots the subsonics well, I'm going to finally get off my pockets and start working towards a suppressor for it. I've never shot a suppressor, but I think a 22 suppressor would be a good way to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1917</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have 1:9 twist 10/22 barrel. forgot who made it but doesn't shoot 30-40g bullets well. 60g shoots better but I'm not impressed.</div></div>

I've read that the 60g SSS aren't the most accurate bullets from others as well, more of a novelty than a tack driver. But, within the limits of a 22 rifle they should be sufficient and pack a little bit more punch than the regualar stuff. If it doesn't shoot well with anything but the SSS's, I'll probably end up either selling to someone who wants a specialty barrel for shooting the 60's or keep it and add another 22LR and use it for shooting suppressed later on when I get one. I plan on trying a variety of bullets before I make up my mind.