• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Faster twist rate for a new barrel help?

mdslammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hello guys,

Been a while since I've posted. I have a .375 Cheytac with a Benchmark 32" barrel with a 1:10 twist rate.
I see new heavy solids from a few companies like CEB with a .375 gr. single feed and Berger with the .379 gr. and .407 gr.
These recommend either a 1:8 or 1:7 twist rate.

If I were to go with a new pipe with a faster twist, say 1:7, can I only use these heavier solids for my loads?
Or can I also use something lighter like a .350 gr. solid or possibly a .350 gr. SMK jacketed bullet?

Thanks for your advice. Merry Christmas.

Mark

Hello Theis and thank you for your reply and help. So I pretty much would have to commit to using only "solid projectiles", correct? Would there be any problems to also use a lighter solid like a .350 gr. CEB has for example?

I'm trying to find out how many options/limitations there are for using the faster twist rate before investing the money time for load development.

Thanks again Theis.
Mark

Solids don't functionally have twist rate limits for "too fast" just too slow.
Considering the relative cost of components involved with shooting a 375 CT there's little point in shooting anything except the most capable bullet you can get into it. Hence why the market is willing to be $2.50+ for solid copper bars with noses carved on them.

All that being said I would go with an 8 or 7 twist for maximum performance. If for some reason you get a bug to shoot jacketed bullets you can download them for survival but I really wouldn't bother.

Of the bullets you mention, I would suggest adding a couple more to the list. The Flatline 361 and 400 from Warners have (much) higher BC's and have proven easy to load tune due to the design features I put on them.

Thanks Bohem for your info and recommendations. I'm just getting back out again after a long lay off so I'm still getting info as to
what's available for projectiles. And I concur as you say, "there's little point in shooting anything except the most capable bullet you can get into it"...
I have no issues with going with solids. I will look into the Flatline 361/400 from Warners as well.
Regards.
Mark

Reactions: bohem