• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Favorite Insect Repellant

Ichi

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2022
Texas
What is your favorite insect repellant? DEET, pecaridin, permethrin?

What brand and in what form, spray or lotion?

Do you combine products? DEET or percaridin on the skin and permethrin on clothing and boots?

Reactions: Magpulx
I guess it depends on what you are trying to repel.

DEET works good for insects like mosquitos, especially if you can find the 100% stuff. Does fuck all for ticks though.

For ticks, you need to treat your clothes with permethrin and use percaridin on areas where your skin is exposed.

Some people swear by drinking a couple of TBSP of apple cider vinegar every day, I've yet to really try that though.

DEET and lots of it. I think I go thru withdrawal without regular DEET applications in the warmer months! haha

I'm mosquito bait....just take me with you and you won't get bit. They will all be feasting on me. Just unfortunate pheromones...or CO2 output...or god really does hate me...or all of the above! haha

Actually, I got tired of the oil in OG Off Deep Woods staining my clothing and now use Off Deep Woods Dry.

My understanding of the effect of different concentrations of DEET in various retail products is not that higher DEET concentrations work better at repelling but that higher concentrations provide protection for longer.

I did, some years ago, buy some stuff that was 99% or 100% DEET (can't remember the brand name but there are various similar on the market) and couldn't stand it. It was like spraying 10-30 all over...just thick and greasy feeling. I supposed if I was gator hunting at night in the Everglades I wouldn't care, but for summer range time it was just awful.

Reactions: Ichi
With all the rain that we received earlier this year, the chiggers seem to be the worst problem in my area of Texas. Followed by mosquitos.

Received at least 80 chigger bites on my legs after helping a friend clear weeds and trim back shrubs/trees on his property this last weekend. This is something I've helped with several times over the past few years. In the past, I always commented how surprised I was that we didn't get eaten up by ticks, chiggers mosquitos. Especially since he has a lot of deer and hogs on his property. The chiggers made up for that this time.

After this last weekend, I think that I'll bathe in repellant before going out there again. Luckily I had some Triamcinolone Acetonide cream that I could apply to the bites. It takes the edge off the itching and pain. Alternating antihistamines like cetirizine hydrochloride and chlorphenamine also seems to help. But that first day after the bites flared-up, I was pretty miserable.

I ordered online some Skin-so-Soft bug repellant. Picture shows this huge bottle but what showed up was small. Anyway...

It's a pump spray bottle, not aerosol. I sprayed my feet, legs, middle, torso, etc and went blackberry picking in shorts & a T-shirt. Nary a chigger, but I had ticks crawling on me. Chiggers are de debbil. OFF works for me as well. Not many skeeters where I am.

Best luck I've had after trying them all for overall effectiveness is permethrin treated clothing and Ben's 100% DEET repellent. It won't smell great and you have to be very careful using it around other accessories like watches with rubber straps (the DEET will absolutely ruin a rubber/plastic watch, ask me how I know) but if repelling the bloodsuckers is what you're after that's what's worked the best for me.

Because of the whole plastic/rubber melting components of it- I've tried the other options in various concentrations (Picaridin, I believe Lemon Euclopysis was another) and other odd products like 'bug bands' trying to find a solution that was more friendly to other gear but 100% DEET is the only product that seems to cut it (apparently my blood type is also a factor so your results may be different).

If you do go with the permethrin route- and I'd highly recommend it if for nothing else other than ticks (which are a big problem here) I'd suggest you look into your local tractor/farm supply store and get the undiluted versions of permethrin. It's not terribly expensive but far more effective and longer lasting than using the Sawyer product you'd find at your local REI, Bass Pro, Cabela's, whatever.

I will say though- before you commit/start, READ the instructions that are easily found online. You have to treat it outside because while it's safe after it's been applied to the clothing/gear, you DO NOT want to breathe it in while you're doing this process and it has to be done outside. It's easy enough but just be informed and do it properly so you protect your health. Ticks are among the scariest things out there in the woods in my opinion and this option is tops, but do it right and actually read the instructions before you start.

Again, outside, but you'll need to dilute the permethrin with water (likely in a tub), I forget what it is but something like 1 part permethrin, 20 parts water (again look it up), and you soak whatever clothing/gear you want treated in this solution and hang it to dry (or put it out in the sun) and by going this route, it'll be good for a long long time.

Best of luck to you.

-LD

Reactions: Ichi
In the spirit of homesteading/DIY, I will mention the idea of real old-time bug repellant, such as jewelweed rubbed on the skin. I have also seen tv where Oz natives smeared wet clay on their skin, NA people supposedly used animal fat/grease, etc. One herbalist at the local farmers market this past weekend had gel caps filled with a sulphur/herb (garlic?) mixture to keep ticks off. Proven home remedies bears looking in to, imo. May come a time when we cant run to Walmart and have to fend for ourselves.

6DE6E3F5-7B84-4DA5-9B65-CC889886EC6E.jpeg

Left one (put on clothing only) for ticks and the right one for mosquitoes and flies.

What is your favorite insect repellant? DEET, pecaridin, permethrin?

What brand and in what form, spray or lotion?

Do you combine products? DEET or percaridin on the skin and permethrin on clothing and boots?
Gotsta go with DEET, Ben's 30% spray is my jam. But, you know, Picaridin's got its own vibe too. Permethrin's the real game-changer though, spray it on my 'fit and I'm good to go! Combo's the move, DEET on skin, permethrin on gear, and I'm bug-free(y)

Gotsta go with DEET, Ben's 30% spray is my jam. But, you know, Picaridin's got its own vibe too. Permethrin's the real game-changer though, spray it on my 'fit and I'm good to go! Combo's the move, DEET on skin, permethrin on gear, and I'm bug-free(y)

Good God.
I feel like I just read something written by my youngest step son.

Men wear clothes. Women wear outFITs.

It's a thing.

Jam?
Vibe?
Game Changer? Did you really use that term?

Sheesh!!

• Haha
Reactions: flogxal
View attachment 8450365
Left one (put on clothing only) for ticks and the right one for mosquitoes and flies.

The one on the left works great for fabric awning / gazebo shade walls too. Lets us set out without being bothered, or using other sprays/torches/thermocouple etc.

Lasts roundabout a month+ in the dry, half or less with the rains.