• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Favorite mouth calls

I have three prey mouth calls I got from my dad years ago. Can’t even tell you other than the mouse squeaker what prey they are simulating...which is probably why they work because I’m the only guy out there with those sounds.

However, just last week I put an order in for some MFK diaphragm calls, want to try something less bulky and clunky. Should be here Tuesday and I hope to practice up and get them in the woods by mid Feb.

Distress-Tony Tebbe production series, crit-r-call, Primos Randy Anderson Series

Howlers- Tony Tebbe Customs, Rich Cronk, Primos Randy Anderson Series Little Dog and Hot Dog. Hot Dog takes a shitload of air. If you've got big lungs it is pretty good. Little Dog white is more user friendly but not as loud.

I have tried most production calls. There is nothing out there that I have found that will touch a good custom. After trying a few customs and seeing how they were different I started making my own. The guys that sell them are artists. It takes me hours to make one I am happy with. I would have to charge 3 times what guys are charging to make a living, but it is a fun and satisfying hobby.

The only mouth call that sounds better than a good custom horn howler is an mfk diaphragm. For pure volume a horn howler has it beat.

IMHO, volume plays a role in success. In open areas I prefer volume. In thicker areas, realism.

Be versatile and do things no one else is doing. You will fool more predators.

Reactions: gonzaga and drglock
MFK game calls are by far the best and most versatile. I keep them in my truck and when I'm driving the back roads, sometimes I pull over and howl, just to get the yotes talkin. They're the best in the biz.

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
MFK game calls are by far the best and most versatile. I keep them in my truck and when I'm driving the back roads, sometimes I pull over and howl, just to get the yotes talkin. They're the best in the biz.
I agree! I like that they are blue collar guys. It’s cool to watch them kill the crap out of yotes using their own equipment. They are so good at calling they don’t even wear camo. Most yote hunters wear ghilli suits. They wear black t-shirts and blue jeans an still call them up in their lap.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I have a good selection of closed and open reed . I have others BUT.. my favorite is a guy on predatormanster com , Robert Patrick (rareearth ). I have several of both open/closed, he takes pride in the Wood also, he will do you up exotic woods in matching sets if ask .
He has a large open reed howler and does a good howl, but I tuned that reed just for only female estrus chirps . I use it from about thanksgiving till after newyears for when there getting knocked-up or pups around here. and got some jack and cottontail tuned closed reed .

I have a bunch, but I have the most success with turkey diaphragm calls. You can make an awesome dying rabbit call that brings in coyotes, bobcats, foxes...

I have several open reed calls, and a horn howler that I need to replace a couple reeds on. Any suggestions for material or a link to a supply place that might have what I need?

Last edited:
Medina game calls. He has a coyote call that provides very clean vocals you’ll love it. Found him at nwtf in Nashville. I have probably 30 different calls and this is my new favorite for sure!