Federal 308 Premium Gold Medal 168gr Sierra MK velocity out of my AR10

Rick2001

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2021
Rindge
Good evening to all. I am a little confused, and I need your help if possible.
I am shooting the federal Premium Gold medal 168gr Sierra MK out of my 22" barrel AR 10 suppressed (rifle built by myself, suppressor Dead Air Nomad 30), and I am super pleased with the performances of both the rifle and the ammo, but I am struggling to grasp the difference between the manufacturer-declared speed and the one I get from my rifle (esteemed). Unfortunately, I do not have access to a Chronograph for the moment, but I am using a ballistic app (Chaingun Elite) that I find very accurate with all my other calibers, 6mmARC, 6.5CM, 6.5Grendel, 224 Valk, etc. Now my range extends to 675 yards so I can validate the trajectory in the app at decent distances, usually, I do it at 550yards, and while it is not uncommon to witness up to 75-100 yards discrepancies between what a manufacturer declares out of a 24" barrel and my rifles, the Federal 308 seems a little out of scale. Federal declares 2650 fps (from a 24" I assume) so I used 2550 fps as a starting point with my 22" barrel but at 550 Yards I was pretty low. I had to go up 2 MOA to get on target pretty close to the center, and when I validated the firing solution in the app, it returned me a velocity of 2259 fps, which is like 400 fps lower than Federal declared and 300 less than I was expecting. Can anyone help me to understand what is going on? Am I missing something? I have adjusted everything for the current weather conditions and zeroed at 100 yards before shooting at a distance. Thank you in advance.

Chronograph the ammo, you need a decent measurement of it's velocity, not an interpolated guess.
I doubt it's going that slow...
I shoot 208 eldm at 2442 ave fps out of a 16" AR 10, and 2756 ave fps with 168 eldm, with handloads.

Reactions: simonp
Hi all. I think I have solved the mistery... I feel quite dumb right now, though. So my 20-round average speed is this:

20240709_174953.jpg
Now dialing the suggested elevation from Chairgun elite

Screenshot_20240709_181723_Chairgun Elite.jpg

I hit exactly the rock that anchored my target hanging from a 2x4 at 550 yards.

Now what I didn't account for is that the center of the 15 inches gong is about 3 feet from the ground so I needed to go up quite a bit to hit the steel (that is where my 20.5 MOA came from) and when I input that elevation on the app, it gave me back that low velocity.
I probably never noticed so much difference with all my other cartridges because they all shoot flatter at that distance than the 308.
This is the target :

Sorry for having bothered you all.... I should have thought about it a little more.

Um if you dial say 15moa and hit a rock on the ground at 550 then you should be able to hit the 550 gong with that same 15moa sort of thing. And that strike eagle 1-6 has a BDC reticule correct? I would shoot the reticule.
right it is a strike eagle 1-6 with a Trybe doubler that makes it 2-12. I am not using the BDC reticule because I think (but not sure about it) that with the doubler it screws up the BDC marks