• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Federal #745 .36g hp - 1260 fps

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
I have used this ammo with very good results out to 50 yards from both my Ruger 10/22 & Marlin 795. Just wanted to give any of you that have used this ammo and liked it as well as I do, and those of you who want to give it a try - a heads up that "Cheaper Than Dirt" has some on hand at $15.97 per box of 525...

This is some of the best inexpensive ammo I have ever tried and have had no problems with it all in my semi-auto rifles. I haven't shot it in any of my bolt action rifles as yet. Any way, I've yet to even experience a misfire with this stuff through 300+ shots.

Re: Federal #745 .36g hp - 1260 fps

Because it is bulk ammo, I think the quality varies depending on the lot, or maybe even where in the lot your box/case comes from. Years ago I had a few boxes that seemed to have alot of misfires, and a higher than normal rate of low-charges. All of the 745 I have shot lately has been much better.

I did a very rough "weight-sort" and just culled the extreme high and low weights. I use those to warm-up the barrel before shooting targets. The remaining rounds shoot as well as the more expensive American Eagle in my Model Five Remington. Occaisionally there will still be the bulk-pack flier, but for practice or pickin' off critters it's pretty good stuff. It is also very good in my Buckmarks.

Oddly enough the 750 load is significantly less accurate in my bolt-gun. Maybe just the lot?

I bought some of the Winchester 333/555 bulk stuff, but have not fired enough to have formed a strong opinion one way or the other.